Pansy

Actual box office

http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/column/in...m?columnID=8823

Keanu Reeves makes a big return to action with Constantine, but looks to come up just a little bit short of Will Smith in an attempt to open in the top spot. In other news, two $30 million films in February? The hell?

Constantine

Keanu Reeves' comic book adaptation pulled in $11.5 million Friday, a decent start to what seems to be a well-received film among audiences. We'll give it a 2.68 internal multiplier (that being the multiplier for two of 2004's B-list comic adaptations, The Punisher and Hellboy) for the three-day weekend and a $30.8 million tally.

Hitch

Hitch holds quite well, dropping only 34% from last Friday. It's going to be neck and neck with Constantine, but Will Smith's romantic comedy will most likely prevail by under a million. The overall weekend decline could be as low as 25% as it becomes the date film of choice over the next several weeks.

Projected Estimates for the Top Ten (Three-Day)

Projected

Rank

Film

Estimated Gross

Hitch

Constantine

But it must be said Constantine is R rated, and opened in 500 theatres less than Hitch, so not everything is equal.

But I bet many people here would never have guessed it would have been a 30 million opener, right?

how much did Constantine cost? it all depends on that whether this can be called a succesful opening. if it cost 70-80 million without ad budget, it's ok. if the budget is higher than that, it most definitely isn't ok.

I shiver to think of the movie-themed rap track Mr. Fresh Prince would drop on us to accompany "Constantine"...

BoxOfficeMojo has Constantine coming in just behind Hitch with $30.5 million.

Don't know if that'd considered decent or not, reviews seem pretty much split down the middle, leaning every so slightly towards the negative.

Don't know if that'd considered decent or not, reviews seem pretty much split down the middle, leaning every so slightly towards the negative.

Reviews are very mixed by the media (and we were expecting that), but just see the forums all over the Internet to see that the movie is getting really good word of mouth. I would not be surprised if it captures the top next week.

As for the box office for the opening weekend, it's a very good opening. It made more than # 30 million in 3 days, and it's competing with a strong and popular comedy that's PG-13 and that's in more theaters than Constantine. Plus, the average for theater was much better for Constantine ($ 10,174 versus $ $8,895 for Hitch).

Hitch got the 1 place by only $ 1275 mil. We cant forget that it's a four day weeknd in US, and maybe Constantine held strong for monday and can, even, win the four day battle for a slight difference.

WEEKEND ESTIMATES

1. Hitch $31,800,000

2. Constantine $30,525,000

3. Because of Winn-Dixie $10,850,000

4. Son of the Mask $7,675,000

5. Million Dollar Baby $7,190,000

WB said the movie made better than their projections, based in the first Matrix movie, that made $ 27 mil in it's opening weekend. Their are expecting good legs, and for what I'm reading on the web, they are on track.

Flick only cost $90 million? It will make that back in DVD sales alone's my guess.

I will be extending its legs myself, going to see it next week, 'cuz the wife's in town (she goes to Uni elsewhere).

Still, if we *HAD* to have JC as an American, why not Dennis Leary? We could even have used "Asshole" as the theme song :D

Adding comingsoon.net comments on the three days box office. The final figures for holiday weekend will be know only on monday.

http://comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=8448

WB comment on the opening weekend:

" Executives at "Constantine" distributor Warner Bros., which also released Reeves' "Matrix" franchise, said they were satisfied with the opening weekend even though the movie did not take the No. 1 spot. Like "The Matrix" flicks, "Constantine" carried an R rating, limiting the under-17 audience to those accompanied by an adult.

"For an R-rated movie, this is fabulous," said Dan Fellman, Warner head of distribution. "In trying to look for some comparison, it was only our goal to reach the opening of the original `Matrix,' and we exceeded that."

for an R rated movie, 30 million is good. for an R rated movie that cost round about 100 million (including ad money.. and then I think we're talking a careful estimate) it's not so good: most movies of this kind need to make back at least 50% of the budget in the opening weekend, because the box office tends to drop really fast on blockbuster style flicks. it depends on how the word of mouth is and what comes out next weekend, I guess.

Reviews are very mixed by the media (and we were expecting that), but just see the forums all over the Internet to see that the movie is getting really good word of mouth.

You'll forgive me if I take the words of complete strangers posting on, say, the IMDB with a pinch of salt - especially given events of the last few weeks.

I would not be surprised if it captures the top next week.

Is there anything coming out next week ?

Well John, IMDB is only an example ( I know what you are saying about biased posts). Yes, there's good word about the movie right now, just check how people are rating it. I think it will do very well along the week and next weekend. The opening movie will be Cursed, and Hitch will remain strong. We'll have to see how well it will do tomorrow too. The numbers will up on Tuesday.

Well the 'word' varies from site to site, which is fair enough - different strokes and all of that.

Anyway, movie's done - back to the comic for me!

edit : BoxOfficeMojo has production budget listed as 100 million, I'm still pretty sure that Tears'n'Matadoor put it around 110 mill.

still, all this talk and official comparisons to the Matrix is worrying - i'm afraid it'll spawn 2 crappy sequels... :rolleyes:

I don't think it will. sequels nearly always cost more to make and bring in less. the way it looks now, the movie will only just make a profit (possibly only when counting worldwide box office and dvd sales). that to me suggests the studio will be hesitant to put any money towards a sequel. please don't buy the hype of them planning a sequel right already: if the box office isn't good enough, ithose plans will disappear as if by magic!

btw, a budget of 110 million without ad cost is a lot of money to recoup. that said, Hitch will be in its third week next week, and Cursed looks atrocious. so it might have a chance to score next weekend as well. I dunno. I wouldn't hold my breath for that sequel.

[bAD SIGNAL]CONSTANTINE Sucks Off Satan, Laughs Through Black Semen

bad signal

WARREN ELLIS

CONSTANTINE appears to have taken some $30.5 million in America over the weekend. It already had a $12M opening across Asia.

You can assume that it's going to break even sometime over the next three weeks.

I smell sequel, as they say.

-- W

[bAD SIGNAL]CONSTANTINE Sucks Off Satan, Laughs Through Black Semen

bad signal

WARREN ELLIS

CONSTANTINE appears to have taken some $30.5 million in America over the weekend. It already had a $12M opening across Asia.

You can assume that it's going to break even sometime over the next three weeks.

I smell sequel, as they say.

-- W

[/quot

Don’t believe the hype. When a studio talks about a sequel just after a movie is release, it a form of hyping the movie to get the people who have not seen it to see it. I went last Saturday to see it with my boyfriend and we saw a lot of walkouts during the middle of the film, so see a drop of 55 to 60% next weekend.

While I agree with you that any sequel talk at this stage is meaningless, I don't think Ellis is trying to 'hype' the movie. Quite the contrary, in fact.