Pansy

Actual box office

Kris, to be fair, several people HAVE claimed that the movie would bomb and lose WB money.

As for Ocean, I guess he just really liked it?

Ocean, why do you only seem to just post up figures of how much money this movie is making?, i remember you said your job has something to do with reporting or analysing such figures so you can perhaps elaborate on why you think its of any interest to anyone else here?.

As I said before Kris, I receive those figures in my mail and still posting the actuals here only to those who are interested. If youre not, why you bother reading the post?

I don't mean to be a [over-used word], and i probably sound like i am being one here but i don't see why you feel the need to tell us how many millions its made every single week, we all know it was going to do well financially so its of no surprise to anyone here.

The thread still here... why not post? Could you tell me? And, "we all knew it was going to do well"??? God. People were blasting the movie as the next Catwoman! It was meant to be a faillure! It was all over the Internet that it would be a big BOMB! It wasn't what happened and I'm glad about it. It's wrong? Who said that?

You know Kris, the fact is that ANYTHING positive about the movie bothers you. Anything. My last post was only information about Box Office for anyone who is interested. It has domestic numbers (who are very so-so) and international numbers (who are great). It has the markets it's already opened and some more markets it has to open yet. There's nothing biased there. So, what's the problem? The movie already made it's cost. It was all over the Internet that it would be the next Catwoman (that, BTW, with a huge market campaign overseas only made US$ 40 million and didn't even made it's cost). And, really, the movie have no popular subject, it's a genre movie, is having big competition in US and overseas, is based in a character that 99,9999999999% of the moviegoers don't know a thing about, had a bunch of bad mouthing before it's opening and, yet, will make money.

The movie cost was a bit too much IMO, and even so, it will make a profit. I saw the movie and, want to kow, I liked. As some people here where I live. And it will make money here. And I will buy the DVD, and will buy one more copy and send to you only to help make more money! :biggrin: :

I have looked through some of your other posts as well and the other thing you seem to post about regularly is supposedly how this movie has mostly received glowing admiration, gushing praise and almost nothing other than across-the-board adulation from all the places its opened and from every journalist and hack on the face of this Earth you care to report on who has reviewed it(and unsurprisingly enough in your case, liked it) but you never really seem to post up any bad feedback or negative speculation that has emanated on the many movie-related messageboards on the WWW(and i know it exists because i have seen it and been involved in it myself) or post up any negative criticism it has received from journalists who thought it was a piece of shit.

Why would I post the negative view about the movie if we have you here to do that??? There's so many haters of the movie in this board, over the Internet, well, I'm a positive person, I was always welcome here, I got to know a character I didn't know and because of the movie I liked the character, I still reading about him, I like to see the views of the board about the movie, I never had any fight here although I'm a huge Keanu Reeves fan and sometimes people are not very kind to him, but I know my place, it's not a KR fansite, I know that, and I can understand how some fans are mad because of the movie. But you have to understand that some people like the movie. I actually know Hellblazer readers who kind of liked the movie, so some people still interested in how it's doing in it's business around the world. Now I watched the movie, I liked it, and, yes, the movie had good reviews here. I'm not lying! You can't, in fact, say that every single person who watched the movie hated it, because it's not the truth. So, if you're not interested in good news, don't read Kris. It's easy. :huh:

Whats the deal?. I am not accusing you or putting you on the spot but i am just interested in whats your motivation behind big-upping this movie at every single opportunity on these boards.

Because I am one of the few people here who still doing that. And I think it's good that people see both sides of the balance. The balance Kris, remember? The balance. There are always two sides.

Don't get me wrong, i don't hate the movie, i don't mind it existing, i thought it was mostly a bit of a moribund and languid affair with a few decent scenes and some okay acting in it(and i am saying this mainly so TearsInRain doesn't go trying to blacken my name again on these boards and accuse me of being something worse than Satanic again) but whats your business? are you involved with this movie in some way??

Yes. I'm involved with the movie. I Love Keanu and I liked the movie. Need more? Kris, stop being crazy about it. Not all people who like Constantine work for Warner!!! And, be happy. Very soon we all will know how much the movie did in it's final run. I'll will stop posting, and will still reading about the comic John Constantine with my mouth very closed, OK?

Well, I like reading about how Constantine is doing in both its home market and overseas. So thanks for posting those reports, Ocean.

And never mind Kris, he's our cuddly resident misanthrope. :wink:

As I said before Kris, I receive those figures in my mail and still posting the actuals here only to those who are interested. If youre not, why you bother reading the post?

Oh right, i take it Tears and Matadoor are still reading this thread then are they?

Why did i bother reading this thread? I mean, its not like you have anything new to say other than something Constantine opened somewhere and made more money than the Third World debt.

The thread still here... why not post? Could you tell me? And, "we all knew it was going to do well"??? God. People were blasting the movie as the next Catwoman! It was meant to be a faillure! It was all over the Internet that it would be a big BOMB! It wasn't what happened and I'm glad about it. It's wrong? Who said that?

Yeah, who did say that as a matter of fact?, surely if it was the next Catwoman then it'd be called Catwoman 2 or something? :blink:

You know Kris, the fact is that ANYTHING positive about the movie bothers you. Anything. My last post was only information about Box Office for anyone who is interested. It has domestic numbers (who are very so-so) and international numbers (who are great). It has the markets it's already opened and some more markets it has to open yet. There's nothing biased there. So, what's the problem? The movie already made it's cost. It was all over the Internet that it would be the next Catwoman (that, BTW, with a huge market campaign overseas only made US$ 40 million and didn't even made it's cost). And, really, the movie have no popular subject, it's a genre movie, is having big competition in US and overseas, is based in a character that 99,9999999999% of the moviegoers don't know a thing about, had a bunch of bad mouthing before it's opening and, yet, will make money

Rubbish, i have even said positive things about the movie myself. I just wondered what your motivations behind posting all this stuff up was and so far you've merely just gotten rather defensive about it.

Seems a raw nerve has been touched.

The movie cost was a bit too much IMO, and even so, it will make a profit. I saw the movie and, want to kow, I liked. As some people here where I live. And it will make money here. And I will buy the DVD, and will buy one more copy and send to you only to help make more money! :biggrin: :

Cool, an official Constantine coffee coaster. How kind of you :biggrin:

Why would I post the negative view about the movie if we have you here to do that??? There's so many haters of the movie in this board, over the Internet, well, I'm a positive person, I was always welcome here, I got to know a character I didn't know and because of the movie I liked the character, I still reading about him, I like to see the views of the board about the movie, I never had any fight here although I'm a huge Keanu Reeves fan and sometimes people are not very kind to him, but I know my place, it's not a KR fansite, I know that, and I can understand how some fans are mad because of the movie. But you have to understand that some people like the movie. I actually know Hellblazer readers who kind of liked the movie, so some people still interested in how it's doing in it's business around the world. Now I watched the movie, I liked it, and, yes, the movie had good reviews here. I'm not lying! You can't, in fact, say that every single person who watched the movie hated it, because it's not the truth. So, if you're not interested in good news, don't read Kris. It's easy. :huh:

I am still wondering where i ever said i hated the movie, this is the second time this week this has happened, first by Tears and now by you, and yet i never actually said i hated it anywhere on any messageboard i have ever spoke about this movie.

Sure i said the movie was dull, boring, formulaic, languid, soporific in places and the script contained too many inconsistencies and lacked fluidity but i also said it had potential and promise and there were some decent scenes and acting in it from the likes Hounsou, Swinton and Weisz but never once did i say i hated the movie.

Believe it or not, i am a Hellblazer fan and i don't mind the movie, who would've thunk it eh?....

I MEAN, HELL BLAZES! I EVEN SAID IT TWICE NOW, I DON'T MIND THE MOVIE...but i just don't think its a very interesting film either BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN I HATE THE FUCKING MOVIE NOR DOES IT MEAN I FUCKING HATE KEANU REEVES EITHER....so there you go, you have that evidence in print now from me, the Alleged and Accused King Hater of all Keanu Reeves' John Constantine Haters doesn't actually loathe the movie as much as you, Tears or Matadoor actually thought i was.

Oh and for the record, i will reply to any thread i wish to on these boards regardless of what the content is, if i don't like what i bother to read then i will happily make comment on it too, just like you have the right to post up all your little figures and profit statistics on these boards, i presume you post them up so no-one can make any comment about them then yeah?

Cool, now i get ya, next time you do that, make sure you actually state that no-one is allowed to make any comment about anything you write, especially negative ones about the film and Keanu Reeves and like how much it could've been the next Catwoman but wasn't and then we won't find ourselves getting into a mess like this....i mean, if only i knew, i wouldn't have gone and bothered a hornet's nest like yourself.

[qupte]Because I am one of the few people here who still doing that. And I think it's good that people see both sides of the balance. The balance Kris, remember? The balance. There are always two sides.

Most people's views about the film have been balanced views anyway, you don't need to preach to people about how good the movie is, people can think for themselves can't they?, i don't think hardly anyone here and thats including myself has said the movie is absolutely shite although i imagine Tom will no doubt say something to that effect :biggrin:

Yes. I'm involved with the movie. I Love Keanu and I liked the movie. Need more? Kris, stop being crazy about it. Not all people who like Constantine work for Warner!!! And, be happy. Very soon we all will know how much the movie did in it's final run. I'll will stop posting, and will still reading about the comic John Constantine with my mouth very closed, OK?

Or you could just stop posting them now and realise that everyone here knows that the movie has done alright, made its money back and that its actually an okay movie but a poor adaptation of the Hellblazer comic that has divided but balanced(cos we have to remember the balance don't we?) opinions about it?

Sorry you got so offended by my last post, certainly didn't intend it that way but hey, if i ain't allowed to post a reply to one of your posts then it kind of defeats the purpose of a discussion board existing does it not? Hmmmmmmmmm......... :closedeyes:

P.S Ocean, keep posting your profits statistics up for the meantime though, and when you get the chance - Can you let us know when Constantine is opening at Easter Island as well please?

Those are the profit statistics i really want to read about :biggrin:

And let us know what those stone heads thought about it too.

Cheers :wink:

so far you've merely just gotten rather defensive about it.Seems a raw nerve has been touched.

Me?! Do you know the words "passive-agressive" ?

Cool, an official Constantine coffee coaster. How kind of you :biggrin:

No problem my dear... what more do you want? Constantine related, I mean... :glare:

I am still wondering where i ever said i hated the movie, this is the second time this week this has happened, first by Tears and now by you, and yet i never actually said i hated it anywhere on any messageboard i have ever spoke about this movie.

You are acting too much defensive Kris. I'm no Tears. Or am I? Who knows... :D

I MEAN, HELL BLAZES! I EVEN SAID IT TWICE NOW, I DON'T MIND THE MOVIE...

Ok Ok... now, calm down. WHO SAID THAT??? Again, forget Tears.

Oh and for the record, i will reply to any thread i wish to on these boards regardless of what the content is

Really! Promise? :rolleyes: Thanks for your consideration! This board need some conversation after the movie is over.

Most people's views about the film have been balanced views anyway, you don't need to preach to people about how good the movie is, people can think for themselves can't they?

What a big thing you are making for too little Kris... in portuguese it's called "tempestade em copo d'água"... in fact, in my language it sounds so good! "tempestade em copo d'água"!!! Kris, o rei da tempestade em copo d'água! :D

i don't think hardly anyone here and thats including myself has said the movie is absolutely shite although i imagine Tom will no doubt say something to that effect :biggrin:

What a surprise to know what Tom thinks!

Or you could just stop posting them now and realise that everyone here knows that the movie has done alright, made its money back and that its actually an okay movie but a poor adaptation of the Hellblazer comic that has divided but balanced(cos we have to remember the balance don't we?) opinions about it?

Hummm... no! Next question?

Sorry you got so offended by my last post,

Oh no! I'm not sensible as you are Kris... You will have to try a bit more hard... ops! :icon_redface: Not too much, please... :o

P.S Ocean, keep posting your profits statistics up for the meantime though, and when you get the chance - Can you let us know when Constantine is opening at Easter Island as well please?

No problem. Do you want to know how it's doing in Maldivas Islands too? Guiné Bissau? Gaban?! :closedeyes:

And let us know what those stone heads thought about it too.

I'll keep you informed. Promise. :wub:

Kris, if you don't want to know about the Constantine Box Office figures, maybe you should avoid the Constantine Box Office figures thread.

Its okay John, i don't tend to take statistics that seriously anyway.

Well, at least 98% of me doesn't take them seriously :p

Who're you directing that at?

Kris. Just my less-than-entirely-articulate way of making the point McMahon went on to clarify.

How important are US domestic box offices for determining sequels to a movie like this ?

Are there examples of middle-of-the-road performers in the US getting a sequel based on strong international box office figures ?

Obviously only talking about US movies here.

I know the Austin Powers sequels only occurred because of the excellent DVD/video rentals and sales, and that the producers of Hellboy commissioned the film and sequel based on similar predictions.

Mind you, Constantine isn't a drunken crowd-pleaser like Austin Powers 1 or obviously quirky like Hellboy, so maybe that's not comparable.

Mind you, Constantine isn't a drunken crowd-pleaser like Austin Powers 1 or obviously quirky like Hellboy, so maybe that's not comparable.

Hellboy also has the director's love, which Constantine doesn't. To Lawrence, Constantine was just a job. To Del Toro, Hellboy is a dream project, and he pushed for both the film and the sequel.

I for one am glad to find out how it's doing! Even if I didn't particularly enjoy most of it (except for Gabe Gabe Gabe who has my everluv), I still wanna know how it did.

Thanks Ocean!

Folks, how is it playing locally? Do ya'll still have it available in theaters? It's still here in my hometown, but I'm thinking this will be it's last week.

About a Hellboy sequel, I'm glad if it happens. I thought it was a really good movie, I was surprised that it done so small business, the advertising was good and the movie idem. It had all the aspect to be a huge blockbuster, in action, production, the rating...but it did alright and being a dream project for Del Toro, it's a good sign for a future movie.

How important are US domestic box offices for determining sequels to a movie like this ?

Well, if a movie has potential to make a sequel (story wise etc) the good business in US alone is a guarantee, of course. It's the largest market in the world. But if it does good money in overseas markets and in DVD sales ( huge territory to make money for studios), it has a good chance. The Punisher, for example, did poorly in US and overseas. Although had a small budget, it made very poor at theaters WW. But it had very good sales on DVD and there's already talk for a sequel. So, DVD sales are a big aspect to determine a sequel or not at the end of a movie run.

Folks, how is it playing locally? Do ya'll still have it available in theaters? It's still here in my hometown, but I'm thinking this will be it's last week.

Over a month after it opened, it's still in 36 theaters in the San Francisco Bay Area. I didn't count how many it was in before this, so I don't know if how much of a dropoff that might be, if it's any at all, but I've a sense of the length of the previous theaters lists, and it doesn't seem much shorter if it's shorter. It seems to be doing pretty well here, and I guess I'll have to wait before it shows up at the cheapo theaters. :icon_frown:

Hey Tears, what was that about me going to see it nine times? :tongue:

Now this is the weekly post dedicated to my dear kind gentleman... KRIS!! :unsure:

With cool breezes from this blue and clear Ocean, just for you... :wub::wub::wub:

Constantine made another good week and weekend on International markets, it opened second in UK, below Hitch and first in Argentina (still rules in Brazil - YES!!! - doing a blockbuster run here with the best opening of the year and probably another smash in it's second week - double Yes! :biggrin: ) as well a decent total amount in US Box Office. Numbers are below:

US - $70,357,000

INTL- $98,300,000 (these are estimated numbers, last week the real numbers were higher, so it's possible that will past the $ 100 million mark by Monday)

Total (estimated) - US$ 168.657.000

=================

Variety

"Constantine" ascended to $98.3 million after banking approximately $7.9 million in 42 territories. Supernatural saga minted a strapping $3.9 million in the U.K., including sneaks, and $351,000 on 66 in Argentina. "

Reuters

"Constantine" grossed an estimated $7.9 million from 42 territories, bringing its cumulative total to an estimated $98.3 million with the film yet to open in Japan. The Keanu Reeves starrer opened with $3.98 million (including previews) in the United Kingdom, behind first-place "Hitch."

In Argentina, "Constantine" grossed an estimated $350,900 from 66 screens, ranking No. 1 with a 40% market share. In holdovers the heaven-and-hell tale dropped 30% in Brazil in its second week for another $965,000 and a territory cume of $2.95 million.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Now this is the weekly post dedicated to my dear kind gentleman... KRIS!!  :unsure:

With  cool breezes from this blue and clear Ocean, just for you...  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Constantine made another good week and weekend on International markets, it opened second in UK, below Hitch and first in Argentina (still rules in Brazil - YES!!! - doing a blockbuster run here with the best opening of the year and probably another smash in it's second week - double Yes!  :biggrin: ) as well a decent total amount in US Box Office. Numbers are below:

US -  $70,357,000

INTL- $98,300,000 (these are estimated numbers, last week the real numbers were higher, so it's possible that will past the $ 100 million mark by Monday)

Total (estimated) - US$ 168.657.000

=================

Variety

"Constantine" ascended to $98.3 million after banking approximately $7.9 million in 42 territories. Supernatural saga minted a strapping $3.9 million in the U.K., including sneaks, and $351,000 on 66 in Argentina. "

Reuters

"Constantine" grossed an estimated $7.9 million from 42 territories, bringing its cumulative total to an estimated $98.3 million with the film yet to open in Japan. The Keanu Reeves starrer opened with $3.98 million (including previews) in the United Kingdom, behind first-place "Hitch."

In Argentina, "Constantine" grossed an estimated $350,900 from 66 screens, ranking No. 1 with a 40% market share. In holdovers the heaven-and-hell tale dropped 30% in Brazil in its second week for another $965,000 and a territory cume of $2.95 million.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Those are not good numbers. No matter how ocean is trying to spin them, it only shows that a sequel is not going to happen by any standard.

As for Hellboy and the Punisher, both films were made by a fraction of the budget of Constantine, and the reason they are both going to have sequels is the fact that they both are going to have the same budget the next time around.

Constantine is barley going to break even, and a sequel will not happen because of that.

:cool:

I don't doubt that you know what you're talking about, Fuji, and I certainly know nothing about the film industry, but I had a quick look on Boxofficemojo for Hellboy's figures, and according to those its only just broken even too, when you include marketing costs:

Hellboy figures

Kris, if you don't want to know about the Constantine Box Office figures, maybe you should avoid the Constantine Box Office figures thread.

Its okay John, i don't tend to take statistics that seriously anyway.

Well, at least 98% of me doesn't take them seriously :p

Well for what it's worth, Kris, I've enjoyed your comments in this thread and especially got laugh out of your "stone heads" quip. 8-)

Constantine is barley going to break even, and a sequel will not happen because of that.

$157,357,000 world-wide, pre-DVD, for Production costs of 100 mill ?

I don't doubt that you know what you're talking about, Fuji, and I certainly know nothing about the film industry, but I had a quick look on Boxofficemojo for Hellboy's figures, and according to those its only just broken even too, when you include marketing costs:

Hellboy figures

As I said, when they bankrolled the film, the studio knew that it wasn't going to make a lot in the cinema let alone break even. The film and the sequel were greenlit based on predctions of excellent DVD sales and rentals.

$157,357,000 world-wide, pre-DVD, for Production costs of 100 mill ?

Now be fair, John. Forrest Gump brought in more than three times that amount, and yet the original author didn't get anything because there was no net profit.