Gillian

Constantine S01E03 : “The Devil’s Vinyl”

15 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for Constantine S01E03

I watched the current series of American Horror Story (not as good as previous series, sadly) and they have loads of characters established very quickly in the first episode, and in and out of each episode. So it's possible. But I think Constantine has a lot of back story exposition at the same time.

The episodes so far have been formulaic, with the map at the core. Hopefully that's this just series' driving force to pre-sage the actual central conspiracy.

They could lose the map in a fire caused by a discarded cigarette end, and I'd be much happier,

• Upvote 1

I rewatched the 3rd ep last night, and it played a bit cornier at a second viewing, but seeing Joelle Carter made me think Constantine would do good to follow the Justified s01 template, where, for all intents and purposes, it played like a procedural for the first 7-8 episodes, and then it started to get into the mythology.

Also, I felt that the whole soul-cancer-remission plot was wasted and shittily resolved. Cancelling the soul-selling contract shouldn't have ended with "we're rich, so it might not be so bad after all", but with that non-starter of a character, Ian Fell, getting 20 years worth of cancer in a matter of seconds, giving him some agency and purpose, giving his wife a lesson on the cost of magic, giving his daughter a lifelong trauma, and giving us a gross and grim visual, and a lesson in the rules of this universe. Seriously, what's with all the unearned happy endings for barely sketched out supporting characters?

Yes, a bit less magic magic and a bit more con man magic. And YES, lose the bloody map. I don't care if that's the real reason he can pop up wherever trouble strikes, I don't want to see it. He needs some air of mystery.

Agreed about the cancer too. What a shitty resolution indeed. Hey it's ok if I get my cancer back! It's no biggie now! No one dies of that anymore!

Agreed about the cancer too. What a shitty resolution indeed. Hey it's ok if I get my cancer back! It's no biggie now! No one dies of that anymore!

Yes, and the whole "welp, at least I'm still rich, so no biggie" thing felt very un-Hellblazerlike.

We apparently read that cancer thing different. To me, Ian obviously knew that he was going to die, and soon. His "they have better treatments now" was just to comfort his wife.

I liked this episode quite a bit, gave it an 8. An improvement from episode 2, and the characterization is pretty sweet all around so far. I really liked Papa Midnite. He could have been a really cartoony guy, but instead came off as charming, mysterious and dangerous. Nice. Also totally agree that it's a good thing that JCs plans don't always work.

• Upvote 1

I thought about that, but I thought you'd have to be pretty stupid to buy it.

Nah. To me, that felt very human. People accept specious reasoning all the time from their partners, especially when something important is on the line. His comment makes his obvious self-sacrifice easier for her to bear.

• Upvote 1

Yes, a bit less magic magic and a bit more con man magic. And YES, lose the bloody map. I don't care if that's the real reason he can pop up wherever trouble strikes, I don't want to see it. He needs some air of mystery.

It felt more like "Hey, I might have cancer but now they have better treatment for it and I can live a little longer then back then when I only had a few months." He's still gonna die but at least he has a better chance of fighting it with the treatment humanity has now compared to 20 years ago where it was about a month or week left.

Also to me unhellblazer-like would be John giving Ian some sort of charmed pills or preforming a magic cancer healing spell on Ian so that he doesn't die. But John knew he couldn't do that because such things don't exist and cancer is cancer.

I watched the current series of American Horror Story (not as good as previous series, sadly) and they have loads of characters established very quickly in the first episode, and in and out of each episode. So it's possible. But I think Constantine has a lot of back story exposition at the same time.

The episodes so far have been formulaic, with the map at the core. Hopefully that's this just series' driving force to pre-sage the actual central conspiracy.

They could lose the map in a fire caused by a discarded cigarette end, and I'd be much happier,

It makes up for it with Jessica Lange singing Bowie :hattip:

No it doesn't.

That currently stands as the worse of three musical moments in this season, and the second best of the Jessica Lange songs.

Name Game was fun, now this is getting silly.

Mind you, she is meant to be a rubbish singer.

(Good dominatrix though, in her day)

• Upvote 1

No it doesn't.

That currently stands as the worse of three musical moments in this season, and the second best of the Jessica Lange songs.

Name Game was fun, now this is getting silly.

Mind you, she is meant to be a rubbish singer.

(Good dominatrix though, in her day)

giphy.gif

Not bad. It was the first one i watched and it didn't make me jump with excitement but it was decent and did not stray from the idea of who John is. Inclusion of several obscure Hellblazer artifacts was a pleasant hint that creators of the show actually look at the source material. I give it a 7 and expect to grow.

I thought John was supposed to be a master pick pocket as well as mage? All of sudden he can't tell when his wallet has been nicked, or how to steal a badge and key from some random guy.

I thought John was supposed to be a master pick pocket as well as mage? All of sudden he can't tell when his wallet has been nicked, or how to steal a badge and key from some random guy.

Give it time.

This is John at his earlier days. He's not as master of his craft as he would be later on.

• Upvote 1

maybe zed is the one teaching him this stuff?

early in the episode in the safehouse, chas and john have a little dialogue about zed. i did not understand the last two or three sentences. can someone please write them down?

another question: shite. i imagine it is pronounced like the i in right and a silent e. or is it like shit with an e like in yankee?

early in the episode in the safehouse, chas and john have a little dialogue about zed. i did not understand the last two or three sentences. can someone please write them down?

Addic7ed.com got you sorted:

00:07:42,631 --> 00:07:43,799

The girl's got skills.

00:07:43,831 --> 00:07:45,999

Yeah, and she's easy on the eye.

00:07:46,034 --> 00:07:47,768

But?

00:07:47,802 --> 00:07:49,770

She showed up last week out of nowhere.

00:07:49,804 --> 00:07:51,505

She may be legit.

00:07:51,539 --> 00:07:55,442

Or she may have more... unseemly motives.

00:07:55,476 --> 00:07:58,445

Either way, I'm best keeping her close

00:07:58,479 --> 00:07:59,746

for now.

00:07:59,781 --> 00:08:02,983

See what you can dig up on her, will you?

• Upvote 1

No, that people should look around for reviews and comments because there's a wide range of thoughts.

Ah, kk. Yeah, We're at the same time overly critical and too lenient, I feel. My shorter half, who only knows Constantine from his Sandman appearance and Keanu flick, has a more favorable opinion of the show, since her expectations are much lower than mine, yet she liked the 2nd ep better than the third, feeling the third was way too overstuffed for her to be able to just watch it to relax after a long day.

this. rewatched both episodes with a friend (whom i try to get into at least one series, since we hang out much). he said he liked episode 2 way more than episode 3. we overexagurate the episde i think because lets be honest it was one for us the nerds.

It wasn't for me.

I really hope "I should have known that you were behind this" isn't actually dialogue, and is somehow just another flamey-hands fake-out. Because bloody hell.

Yeah. Did you spot "You sure this is gonna work?" near the end? What about the bit where Midnite says "Constanteen!" à la Colonel Klink because he's now Constanteen's Enemy? (I mean, he disliked Constanteen before, but now even more so!!1! If he hadn't been holding that rifle he'd have been shaking his clenched fist!)

I liked it; my only real problem was its insistence on spelling everything out for the dumb-dumbs that TV folk always assume exist. The long explanation for why his Not-Psychic-Paper trick worked was far better explained by the bit half a minute earlier where we just saw him use the bloody thing. And Zed's OH I knew that hug was out of character! That was weird! But now I know that it was in actual fact because of how you were [continues on for several thousand words]. Gadgetry is fun, but laboured explanations kill that fun almost as dead as explaining a joke would. ...

+1. The first three episodes are pitched pretty low. As for the resolution of the contract, it totally blew for me: Fell got twenty years remission from fatal cancer, and there's no cost because the deal was called off before payment was taken? Riiight. :icon_rolleyes: I mean, I straight up don't know the finer legal points of deals with the Christian devil, but how does that make any sense? To me the whole show feels as convincing as the label on that Vitamin K bottle.

'Anarchy In The UK' was a nice moment, as was Liv jumping the fence without John's help (largely because it was underplayed), and there was another moment I thought was lovely but I can't recall it now. The bit where the little girl started to play the record was top-notch horror, but then it went nowhere. Midnite's guys playing the record in a club was a major event, and could have been made the set piece, but instead it happened off screen, thrown away. Go figure.

Well fans will always have better stories, ...

Wow. Were you telling yourself that when you were reading the Milligan stories?

Based on the three episodes I've seen, this show leaves a lot of room for "fans" to have better stories.

Again, no offence intended to my buddies who liked it. I like ducks.

• Upvote 1

Yes, nicely reproduced.

I think the guy does these sort of repros for fun (and profit, where he can get it)

• Upvote 1