JohnMcMahon

Constantine S01E01 : "Non Est Asylum"

16 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for Constantine S01E01, Please....

You know, I've pondered what sort of adult beverage I should drink for the debut of Constantine. (although I have to wait 'til tomorrow for it to be available on the NBC website). I like the idea of smoking, but I don't smoke and won't start. As I watch it, maybe I'll hold one while sneering. Against a brick wall.

• Upvote 1

whisky. definetly.

Big fan. What are we drinking? I ususally get bourbon. Shall we go Irish?

• Upvote 1

Gin and tonic, for old times sake.

I just discovered these about a month ago! A thick slice of lime and I'm good. I believe this shall be my drink. Now, I just need gin...and tonic water...and lime.

It's a good sipping drink. And at the rate I go, it should be finished before the airing of the third episode :laugh:

I just discovered these about a month ago! A thick slice of lime and I'm good. I believe this shall be my drink. Now, I just need gin...and tonic water...and lime.

It's a good sipping drink. And at the rate I go, it should be finished before the airing of the third episode :laugh:

have you tried the one with sliced cucumber? it is a really refreshing variant, for summertimes ;).

for the whiskey i don't know yet, have nothing at home right now. but i am not especially fond of bourbon, maybe i have not tried the right one yet.

have you tried the one with sliced cucumber? it is a really refreshing variant, for summertimes ;).

for the whiskey i don't know yet, have nothing at home right now. but i am not especially fond of bourbon, maybe i have not tried the right one yet.

Revolting! I mean....to each their own. Cucumber, good. alcohol, good. Together? Unnecessary. I'm more of a fruity sort.

Fruity sort? Throw a splash of Chambord in your G&T. You're welcome.

Hmmm....

"Chambord is made from red and black raspberries, Madagascar vanilla, Moroccan citrus peel, honey and cognac."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chambord_(liqueur)

YUM! I just might. But not for watching Constantine. Doesn't seem proper somehow.

I had a glass of milk, a bowl of blueberries, a bowl of leaves from the bud of some plant, fell fast asleep and missed the whole show. But DVR'd, ffwd through the commericals and have just seen the finished product.

The only differences I caught from the leaked pilot were the scene in Newcastle, the main one, and the end. But I loved the new end. They sort of took the old one and made it a scene within a scene, if I can be vague enough about specifics without using spoiler tags. I'm lost on the ratings system. Are high numbers good or low numbers?

It was decent. About what I expected. I don't watch TV anymore. If it wasn't vased on the comic, I wouldn't have had interest. I might tune in next week, because of the comic. It didn't really remind me of the comic. If I was watching it somehow unawares, if the plot were boiled down to bare basics without the stuff like Astra, I wouldn't think it was Hellblazer.

It didn't disturb me, like the first episode of Millennium. It didn't immediately hook me, like the first episode of X-Files. Too much action for my tastes. It did certain things right.

Basically, I'm in the middle with it. It's not something I'll love or feel I can't miss seeing, but if I had free time I wouldn't mind watching it.

So I get home from the gym to a TV screen full of Ravenscar. Turns out ep1 is on Amazon.

:-)

• Upvote 3

That's excellent news Pooka, could you link people up ? I'm quite happy to pay money towards watching this if it's possible in this part of the world.

Critic reviews for the first episode have been luke-warm though Matt Ryan's performance has, unsurprisingly, garnered a lot of praise and there's a willingness among the 'pros' to stick around for a few episodes to see where things go.

I'm in.Amazon UK have a free trial too.So I get to watch the first four episodes in "real" (US) time.I really like how they reworked it to give us more of what we want.

ie

15622930575_218a7d1edd.jpg

Constantine Zed01 by surprise truck

I reckon that's a Manco behind Zed (similar to this), and Snejberg next to it.

• Upvote 3

That's excellent news Pooka, could you link people up ? I'm quite happy to pay money towards watching this if it's possible in this part of the world.

Critic reviews for the first episode have been luke-warm though Matt Ryan's performance has, unsurprisingly, garnered a lot of praise and there's a willingness among the 'pros' to stick around for a few episodes to see where things go.

It's the old LoveFilm thing cos my other half has Amazon Prime, I don't think its for sharing, I'm afraid.

I don't understand the Internet.

I will stick with it if there are more available to me. Right now I'd say I wouldn't continue if I wasnt a fan of Hellblazer, but I understand that the things that put me off are the things that are required for a large audience. More later when baby in bed.

I'm in.Amazon UK have a free trial too.So I get to watch the first four episodes in "real" (US) time.I really like how they reworked it to give us more of what we want.

ie

15622930575_218a7d1edd.jpg

Constantine Zed01 by surprise truck

I reckon that's a Manco behind Zed (similar to this), and Snejberg next to it.

And Bradstreet's

It's the old LoveFilm thing cos my other half has Amazon Prime, I don't think its for sharing, I'm afraid.

I meant more to the service than the actual episode, will have a dig around later myself though, no worries.

Right now I'd say I wouldn't continue if I wasnt a fan of Hellblazer, but I understand that the things that put me off are the things that are required for a large audience. More later when baby in bed.

I wouldn't be quite as negative as yourself but would agree that the 'TV Bits' were the worst parts of the thing, setting up the demon of the week and introducing a POV character seriously lacking in any actual character of her own all came across as functional elements, an exercise in ticking boxes for the season ahead. Outside of that though, a strong 7 for me, start and end were both very strong and I thought they did a good job of handling the casting change - looked a bit dodgy there for a moment but tying it into John's need to keep everyone the fuck away from him worked for me.

All that lovely Bradstreet art at the end, I hope the man and his peers got PAID.

• Upvote 1