JohnMcMahon

Constantine S01E01 : "Non Est Asylum"

16 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for Constantine S01E01, Please....

I hope they at least paid him to superimpose Matt Ryan's face in the one in the foreground :-)

I so got to ask Bradstreet what he made of it (and the episode)

One of the last new shows to debut this fall got off to a soft start Friday night.

NBC’s Constantine opened to 4.3 million viewers and a 1.4 rating among adults 18-49. While hardly hellish, the DC Comics supernatural drama series was edged out in the 10 p.m. hour by ABC’s 20/20. Plus, last year’s Dracula was 29 percent higher.

Constantine‘s lead-in, the fourth season premiere of Grimm, had 5.3 million and a 1.5 rating, down 17 percent from last year.

http://insidetv.ew.c...antine-ratings/

Explain to old man John please, we're talking about recorded versions of the show ?

DVR ratings added onto the live ratings.

Most networks use Nielsen's Live Plus service to track ratings. Live Plus looks at who watched shows on their DVRs within different time frames. Generally, it tracks three major categories: Live-Plus-Same-Day, Live-Plus-Three and Live-Plus-Seven. Each one looks at a broader timeframe, so Live-Plus-Same-Day looks not only at who was watching when the show aired, but also who watched the show that day and the next. Live-Plus-Three and Live-Plus-Seven track who watched within three and seven days of the original airing, respectively. When Nielsen first rolled out its Live Plus service, network executives were uncertain, but it's become an industry standard.

http://people.howstu...tv-ratings1.htm

Doctor Who's ratings come to mind as another example (though with BARB): The overnight ratings for the Mummy was 5.08M, adjusting it along with the DVR ratings tallied it up to 7M as the final ratings

I wouldn't be quite as negative as yourself but would agree that the 'TV Bits' were the worst parts of the thing, setting up the demon of the week and introducing a POV character seriously lacking in any actual character of her own all came across as functional elements, an exercise in ticking boxes for the season ahead. Outside of that though, a strong 7 for me, start and end were both very strong and I thought they did a good job of handling the casting change - looked a bit dodgy there for a moment but tying it into John's need to keep everyone the fuck away from him worked for me

I'm probably being a little unfair as my time is dominated by a VERY active 10 month old who doesn't sleep much.

I've given it a 5. I think they're trying to be all things to all men here, which may water it down a bit. Im happy to give it time though, it could be a grower.

In a personal act of "fanwank" as some reprobates call it, I like to think the reworked pilot has "Angela" from the film dumped at the first hurdle.

20335-26532.gifconstantine-pilot-image-1-640x320.jpg

Mind you she looks more like Harry Potter's bird.

• Upvote 1

Just to expand on my earlier post- if I had loads of free time I'd watch every week (if shown here) but it's so hard to find time to watch a full hour of anything, I have to be a bit picky.

I guess the bits I didn't care for were the bits that looked like every ghost/supernatural movie of the last, what? 10 years? Like the grandma with the black eyes and the gaping inky mouth. Which is the drawback for a character that's been around since the mid-80s but hasn't got onto to to till now. Every bugger's stolen the ideas.

I liked how much of the comic they've squeezed in and Matt Ryan is very good (non-specific accent aside). I really hope they get time to let him really grow into the complex character he is in HB. I would hate to see John as just a smart arsed anti-hero there's much more there.

Sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense, didn't get a lot of sleep last night and I've had some whiskey.

Matt Ryan does a good job. He could make the show work. It's just not Hellblazer, to me.

The one part that was glaring to me was at the end, when the demon is trapped in the aflame magical circle. You wouldn't think John Constantine would act that naive. I expected that he was planning to con the demon...but, no, Liv with her little mystical amulet came through and saved the day by showing the demon to be a....get this...liar. Why John would ever trust a demon....

That was a quite dumb TV moment. Completely out of place for John Constantine, and seemed to be put there so that Liv could seem to have some use, and not just be a "woman in distress".

You could argue that John is so emotionally scarred by Ravenscar that he can't think straight...but, still, it's a demon. You just don't trust demons at face-value.

I give them credit for not going the old stock TV stereotype of having the female character screaming throughout the whole show, but Liv seemed a bit dead to everything that was going on around her. For someone whose whole existence has been turned upside down by the supernatural, she mostly took it in stride, like it was a first day at a new job or something. This is a woman who has never had experiences with the supernatural before. I'd think she might be a bit more freaked out by everything, rather than slightly confused.

Part of the problem was the "too much action" I complained about in my first post. There wasn't much room for characterization. Liv was basically running from one incident to another with little in the way of character development.

The info-dropping scene with John on the roof is the opposite of that complaint. Instead of gradually revealing why John is the way he is, he just suddenly lets this girl know how horrible his life growing up was, after Liv pointed out that John makes jokes so he doesn't have to deal with uncomfortable emotions.

Now, if they portray John as totally socially awkward, I won't mind this. I actually wouldn't mind seeing John characterized in this way. But, it came across in the show as an attempt to shoe-horn in quite a bit of characterization for John in the first episode, without the time or proper scenes to do so, once again, due to "too much action".

Matt Ryan's acting did a good job with characterization of the "show don't tell" variety, by the way. I wouldn't say this is exactly the John Constantine of Hellblazer, but a character heavily influenced by Hellblazer, yeah.

Saving a reveal about John's past history for down the road would've been a better idea. They already had the Ravenscar background to focus on, they didn't need to give away most of John's past in the first hour.

• Upvote 2

Matt Ryan does a good job. He could make the show work. It's just not Hellblazer, to me.

The one part that was glaring to me was at the end, when the demon is trapped in the aflame magical circle. You wouldn't think John Constantine would act that naive. I expected that he was planning to con the demon...but, no, Liv with her little mystical amulet came through and saved the day by showing the demon to be a....get this...liar. Why John would ever trust a demon....

That was a quite dumb TV moment. Completely out of place for John Constantine, and seemed to be put there so that Liv could seem to have some use, and not just be a "woman in distress".

You could argue that John is so emotionally scarred by Ravenscar that he can't think straight...but, still, it's a demon. You just don't trust demons at face-value.

I give them credit for not going the old stock TV stereotype of having the female character screaming throughout the whole show, but Liv seemed a bit dead to everything that was going on around her. For someone whose whole existence has been turned upside down by the supernatural, she mostly took it in stride, like it was a first day at a new job or something. This is a woman who has never had experiences with the supernatural before. I'd think she might be a bit more freaked out by everything, rather than slightly confused.

Part of the problem was the "too much action" I complained about in my first post. There wasn't much room for characterization. Liv was basically running from one incident to another with little in the way of character development.

The info-dropping scene with John on the roof is the opposite of that complaint. Instead of gradually revealing why John is the way he is, he just suddenly lets this girl know how horrible his life growing up was, after Liv pointed out that John makes jokes so he doesn't have to deal with uncomfortable emotions.

Now, if they portray John as totally socially awkward, I won't mind this. I actually wouldn't mind seeing John characterized in this way. But, it came across in the show as an attempt to shoe-horn in quite a bit of characterization for John in the first episode, without the time or proper scenes to do so, once again, due to "too much action".

Matt Ryan's acting did a good job with characterization of the "show don't tell" variety, by the way. I wouldn't say this is exactly the John Constantine of Hellblazer, but a character heavily influenced by Hellblazer, yeah.

Saving a reveal about John's past history for down the road would've been a better idea. They already had the Ravenscar background to focus on, they didn't need to give away most of John's past in the first hour.

There's still a chance to expand on it beyond the info dumping

Echoing what others have said, this is not Hellblazer. But it's close enough. For a pilot this was a bit rough; a passable script, a dull co-star who I'm glad is gone, obvious Hey This Is On NBC bits. However, Matt Ryan nails it perfectly. Even when the dialog is less than spectacular he sells it. And they got the key points of his character right. That's enough to give it support past a first episode. There are many many examples of shows I've seen that had not so good pilots (or first few episodes or first season even) and they came out stronger for it. A recent example being Arrow. They had some rough patches, listened to feedback, and fixed them, then improving on the show. Right now it's all on Ryan. I hope it doesn't stay that way. I give it a very strong six.

I'll be curious to see what my wife thinks, going at it with no foreknowledge aside from my rants of the glory days of Hellblazer & Vertigo.

between 7 and 8.

some of the scenes seemed a bit cheap, like the electric cable and the dark puke from nana. liv was definetly the weakpoint of the cast and i still don't dig chas a 100%. matt ryan is awesome and the lot of references was really really nice. the zed introduction scene gave me a huge nerdgasm. there is a lot of room to improve, but i got wat i was expecting, so nice after all and a little hyped up for the next episodes.

everything that christian said, well i would think that too, especially getting conned so cheaply isnt especially john. on the other hand he is the young john right after newcastle, so he might grow into it.

it is definetly one of the better pilots in the last 2 or 3 years. like 200% better than the first few episodes of arrow that i have seen.

it doesn't give the spn feeling in the slightest and that is a good thing, seeing how many said it would be just an spn ripoff.

and yes it is not hellblazer, but cmon nobody expected it to be. i got enough hellblazer out of it.

and fyi the drink of choice was a laphroaig quarter cask.

Guest Shawn

Oh! Nearly forgot. Due to...things...I had to settle for a nice local brewed stout. Not what I wanted exactly but it tickled enough of my fancy.

Hmm...parallels! :-)

^ me obviously. Good grief. Got to stop posting on me mobile. Haha

7C I hear that's a fine Scotch. I know. nothing of such drinks, other than they are manly and burny

With water or ice?

(Test :sherlock: )

You have the right screen name ;-)

• Upvote 1

Thinking on it, I'm not sure I'm keen on how the Ravenscar/Newcastle stuff has been handled. But I guess that's tv wanting to rush everything in all at once.

I think that's comics people wanting to let comics fans know that this is linked to Hellblazer.

Newcastle's the first series arc.

Nergal's probably in for the longer ride.

Demon Constantine (or was it?) has been foreshadowed for people who are not already expecting him.

No cancer. No First of the Fallen. No Family Man (and how I hope they go for a human threat like that in series 2).

No family in Liverpool. No political/magical conspiracy.

Starting with a number of things which have gone before sends a decent message to viewers new to Constantine.

And also enough to say to the Keanu fans, "This is not your Constanteen"

Didn't really care for it.

Expound, son, if you've got the time.

The Hollywood Reporter put a more positive spin on the ratings...

NBC upped Friday's drama options last night with the return of Grimm and its latest play for a genre companion at 10 p.m., Constantine.

The pair were the strongest scripted series of the night, as Grimm topped with a 1.5 rating among adults 18-49 in its live-plus same day showing. That's off three-tenths of a point from the last premiere for the heavily time-shifted series. As for Constantine, the premiere was about as solid as the network could have hoped for with a 1.4 rating and 4.3 million viewers. It retained nearly all of its demo lead-in but did shed 1 million viewers.

http://www.hollywood...-makes-a-743932

I do wonder if TV Chas was in anyway inspired by Cal McDonald's ghoul sidekick.

With water or ice?

(Test :sherlock: )

i always thought it was only ok to put ice into it if you wre on the titanic and you are on a vengeful rampage against all the ice in the world.

can someone explain what the 1.4 means? is that viewership in millions? is that very good, good, decent?

also why is friday generally considered a death spot for a series?