JohnMcMahon

Constantine S01E01 : "Non Est Asylum"

16 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for Constantine S01E01, Please....

Yeah because a quick market research around here suggests 50% (est) watched the show another time.

(Laphroaig is delightfully softened by a few drops of water. No ice should ever be near a drink that isn't a cocktail.)

and fyi the drink of choice was a laphroaig quarter cask.

With water or ice?

(Test :sherlock: )

i always thought it was only ok to put ice into it if you wre on the titanic and you are on a vengeful rampage against all the ice in the world.

can someone explain what the 1.4 means? is that viewership in millions? is that very good, good, decent?

also why is friday generally considered a death spot for a series?

Demographic

ok googled a little: it means 1.4% percent of the population between 18 and 49 watched constantine. i still have no clue if that is good or bad or decent for a rather late friday evening show, especially for a pilot.

I think that's comics people wanting to let comics fans know that this is linked to Hellblazer.

Newcastle's the first series arc.

Nergal's probably in for the longer ride.

Demon Constantine (or was it?) has been foreshadowed for people who are not already expecting him.

No cancer. No First of the Fallen. No Family Man (and how I hope they go for a human threat like that in series 2).

No family in Liverpool. No political/magical conspiracy.

Starting with a number of things which have gone before sends a decent message to viewers new to Constantine.

And also enough to say to the Keanu fans, "This is not your Constanteen"

If they do, I nominate David Bradley for either the Family Man or John's dad (since he bare a strong resemblance to how Sean Phillips drew him in #100)

• Upvote 2

Didn't really care for it.

Expound, son, if you've got the time.

I didn't have the time to expound when I posted that but now I do! :laugh:

I found it to be rather dull/mediocre and void of what makes Hellblazer a gripping series. I was nearly immediately turned off by Constantine coming onto the scene to save the day and having a calling card - or heck, even simply branding himself as an exorcist. One thing I grew to love about Constantine were the low-key subtle, subdue horror, the tone and mood, etc. And I loved him being a drifter, getting himself into these strange supernatural situations because he simply can't escape it. It's his every day life and if he can be there to help out, sure, why not. But instead he feels like a superhero. Everything felt so glossy and rather over the top and not in a charming way. (Example: That ending with the flaming hands. WTF??) Matt Ryan showcased some aspects of John that I know, but it still felt rather off in places. The fact that he can so easily be fooled by a demon at the climax disappointed me heavily. This is THE CON-JOB we're talking about here. I personally feel based on this one episode that this show was not created with me in mind, me meaning a fan of the Hellblazer comic series.

I'm willing to continue to watch to see if this improves. But based on this episode, I can't say I'm into it.

Didn't really care for it.

Expound, son, if you've got the time.

I didn't have the time to expound when I posted that but now I do! :laugh:

I found it to be rather dull/mediocre and void of what makes Hellblazer a gripping series. I was nearly immediately turned off by Constantine coming onto the scene to save the day and having a calling card - or heck, even simply branding himself as an exorcist. One thing I grew to love about Constantine were the low-key subtle, subdue horror, the tone and mood, etc. And I loved him being a drifter, getting himself into these strange supernatural situations because he simply can't escape it. It's his every day life and if he can be there to help out, sure, why not. But instead he feels like a superhero. Everything felt so glossy and rather over the top and not in a charming way. (Example: That ending with the flaming hands. WTF??) Matt Ryan showcased some aspects of John that I know, but it still felt rather off in places. The fact that he can so easily be fooled by a demon at the climax disappointed me heavily. This is THE CON-JOB we're talking about here. I personally feel based on this one episode that this show was not created with me in mind, me meaning a fan of the Hellblazer comic series.

I'm willing to continue to watch to see if this improves. But based on this episode, I can't say I'm into it.

Well for that last part of the episode I give that an excuse because this is John before he truly faced anything higher then Earth itself (The First of the Fallen, higher rank demons, god) plus he's still a bit messed up from Newcastle so all he wanted to do was free Astra from being ripped to shreads repeatedly no matter what since he's felt the most raw from that. So the second he saw a chance to release her, he kind of threw logic out the window at the chance to finally save her and do something right for a change since that incident.

• Upvote 2

I mean I appreciate they're probably trying to show John's grief and guilt about Astra (in that easily turn on and offable way tv deals with stuff like that), but surely the best way to introduce John would be to say no matter what, John will use his wiles to get out of a situation.

I might have to watch it again and pay more attention.

That ending with the flaming hands

I'm curious...what did you object to in that scene? I loved it, probably the most overtly Hellblazer-y scene in the whole thing. He's not actually conjuring up magical fireballs in an iconic TV-action sort of way, he's just surreptitiously dousing his hands in gasoline/lighter fluid and setting fire to it creating the illusion of scary magic fireballs to intimidate people into thinking he's far more powerful than he actually is. It's a rather neat idea, 100% in character, and a smart, funny summation of who and what the character is (ie., a skilled and cocky con-artist) to end the pilot on.

A number of people seem to have misinterpreted the scene, which suggests to me that there might have been a problem with the direction.

• Upvote 2

I'm in.Amazon UK have a free trial too.So I get to watch the first four episodes in "real" (US) time.I really like how they reworked it to give us more of what we want.

ie

15622930575_218a7d1edd.jpg

Constantine Zed01 by surprise truck

I reckon that's a Manco behind Zed (similar to this), and Snejberg next to it.

This was the best surprise from the show, i thought. Except for demon John, I thought the show was weaker than the pilot that leaked this summer, still looking forward to next week and the introduction to Zed.

I'm in.Amazon UK have a free trial too.So I get to watch the first four episodes in "real" (US) time.I really like how they reworked it to give us more of what we want.

ie

15622930575_218a7d1edd.jpg

Constantine Zed01 by surprise truck

I reckon that's a Manco behind Zed (similar to this), and Snejberg next to it.

This was the best surprise from the show, i thought. Except for demon John, I thought the show was weaker than the pilot that leaked this summer, still looking forward to next week and the introduction to Zed.

I will admit the quick edits to accomodate the commercials made it choppy compared to the leaked version

The tats on Goyer!

Edit to add : It is FUCKING WEIRD watching TV people talking about "The Newcastle Crew" and all of that.

Ikr! Even that other Digital exclusive showed up Gary Lester and Beano's voice, too

No cancer. No First of the Fallen. No Family Man (and how I hope they go for a human threat like that in series 2).

I wouldn't be quick to rule out those two things. The broadcast version omitted the FIrst namedrop. So if everyone stay tunes long it enough for the show to gain it legs, we may be in for those coming to past.

...Well, that or a new network President throws up his hands and say "Let the Brit smoke!"

I don't doubt that they will appear, but they were not in the 1st episode, which was the point.

I expect they have a load of nerds complaining about fags, gay relationships, not being in London, the length of the trench coat, and if Facebook is anything to go by "it's not like I would have done it". And yet it's not at all hard to be positive about an episode designed to introduce the character to a lot of people who think comics are for children and Europeans.

• Upvote 1

I liekd the changes they made from the pilot. The change in Liv's story worked. And I squeed with delight at the use of comics covers in the final scene. Great easter egg.

I was worried that the possible changes would lead to them mucking up that closing scene but if anything they made it a little better with the Zed stuff.

Not to be a dick but I don't see how you could watch that bit after John leaves the bar and not see that he's using a bit of misdirection to freak out some motherfuckers!

• Upvote 1