Demon Chas08

Constantine S01E04 A Feast For Friends

12 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for Constantine S01E04, Please....

Excellent.

And an example in how to adapt a comic issue,

(1) without being a slave to the original, and

(2) misunderstanding and changing it beyond recognition.

Agreed that having the African Shaman was way more effective here and the episode losing Papa Midnite was an improvement.

I also feel that changing Gary's motivation gave a much stronger sense of Constantine's victims not being deserving cases.

Best redemptive ending so far!

The possessed scenes had as much genuine horror as you can get in a TV series.

And the character development for Zed and Manny continues apace (with a decent body swerve for Manny in that museum scene).

• Upvote 3

Ultimately that ended up being a very American take on a great British horror story.

Taken in isolation, a cracking slice of TV, easily the best episode to date but when put side by side with the story it was adapted from...giving Gaz that redemption put too nice a sheen on things, closing on that shot with Manny just compounded things really. Zed shouting the odds, practically explaining what we'd just seen, was a bit rubbish too. Feels like poor old Chas has been shoved off to the side so Zed can have plenty of screen-time.

That aside though, the first really strong episode of the series - the kind of thing that'd make me stick around I reckon.

• Upvote 1

The ending made me tear up a bit. The show does keep improving. I went out clubbing last night with my sad basketcase friend, and nearly everyone we asked was watching it. Or DVRing it.

• Upvote 1

Ultimately that ended up being a very American take on a great British horror story.

Taken in isolation, a cracking slice of TV, easily the best episode to date but when put side by side with the story it was adapted from...giving Gaz that redemption put too nice a sheen on things, closing on that shot with Manny just compounded things really. Zed shouting the odds, practically explaining what we'd just seen, was a bit rubbish too. Feels like poor old Chas has been shoved off to the side so Zed can have plenty of screen-time.

That aside though, the first really strong episode of the series - the kind of thing that'd make me stick around I reckon.

We'll blame it on Renee

• Upvote 1

Yeah, last week was an improvement on a middling pilot and a fairly desultory first episode, but this week's was the first episode that felt like a show I'd be interested in sticking with even if I weren't already invested in the character. More like that, please.

I had my reservations about the changed ending, but I can see what they were aiming for, and thought it largely succeeded. As others have pointed out, by making Gaz more sympathetic they actually made John's sacrificing him feel like more of a betrayal. Zed was largely superfluous, but having her there at the end to give John some well-deserved shit in lieu of his Greek chorus of dead mates (and hopefully we'll be seeing those before the end of the season) was probably a useful way of spelling it out for the hard of thinking.

Not a masterpiece, but an extremely solid bit of telly. Hopefully this is more of an indication of where the show will be going from here, and hopefully it's not too late to save it after a fairly unimpressive opening few weeks.

• Upvote 1

I thought it was a great episode and much better than the pilots or the 2nd episode. Hopefully they stick with the tone of the Vertigo Comic and ignore the DC comic one.

• Upvote 1

ok. just watched it. the first three episode were like i imagine watching preschool football. you do it because you like the sport and are invested in your hometown and that one kid looks really really promising. this episode was like watching that kid be grown up at the pros and doing a kick return touchdown starting at the own endzone. 9.6 out of 10. just great. i was thinking the whole time: yes this is it, right there, that spot.

i do agree with the changes to the original mostly. because most is explained with the fact that they try to build their own mythologie. while delano could and did build upon already existing stuff from swamp thing. reading the hb introduction arc and seeing the ghosts without knowing swamp thing makes still up for a nice effect, but has far lesser impact on you (at least that was my experience, that ghosts did confuse me a bit, since i could not connect them to anything), so if they keep that for later, when the dead are established, i am fine with it. papa midnite not being there was a nice touch. having a shaman explain an african hunger demon makes more sense then having a voodoo priest do that (and is in a way more political correct). they left out the scene were the hunger demon took form and talked to john. fine with that too, i did not like it very much in the comic and think it simply would not have worked on screen, or be to expensive to do properly (and may have reminded us of that film too much anyway). there was some other stuff left out (wasn't there a dead ex girlfriend too in the comics?). i don't mind. the kept to the essential part of the story and used the remaining time to properly have a dramatic arc, time to establish zed and manny (and to be fair the both improved their acting in this one) and that is more important for the series.

i did not like some cuts, some of the facial expressions, some of zeds gestures and that they overexplained some stuff (but here they cut back a lot compared to especially the last episode). they also explained some stuff twice, that was already in the first episode (i guess at some point we will look back and say, that first episode can be ignored).

i did like the depiction of drug abuse, magic, violence, demonic possession (way more than episode 3), emotions, lighting, tone of the story, man i am fucking invested now.

it was a very good episode, that for the first time hit the spot of, where i could honestly say to others: watch this. and it gets the matt bonus. that guy man i love him. i feel like 9.6 may be a little high, but i gave the other episodes shades of eight, and a 1.6 improvement is totally justifiable, i think. may have to tone it down for future episodes. i will state this as the reference point, all future episodes will be treated as if this was a good seven.

conclusion: ffs guys do more adaptions of source material!

question: does anyone know if the incantations that they use are real languages (i would guess his first attempt to catch the demon was something aramaic?) are those 'real' magical incantations? has anyone knowledge of a site that keeps track of them and translations for them?

I was pretty surprised (and impressed) by its generally permissive stance on drugs. Heroin addiction aside, I'd say John almost seemed pro-drugs. Fairly dismissive of teetotalism, at least. Quite unexpected for network TV.

ok. just watched it. the first three episode were like i imagine watching preschool football. you do it because you like the sport and are invested in your hometown and that one kid looks really really promising. this episode was like watching that kid be grown up at the pros and doing a kick return touchdown starting at the own endzone. 9.6 out of 10. just great. i was thinking the whole time: yes this is it, right there, that spot.

i do agree with the changes to the original mostly. because most is explained with the fact that they try to build their own mythologie. while delano could and did build upon already existing stuff from swamp thing. reading the hb introduction arc and seeing the ghosts without knowing swamp thing makes still up for a nice effect, but has far lesser impact on you (at least that was my experience, that ghosts did confuse me a bit, since i could not connect them to anything), so if they keep that for later, when the dead are established, i am fine with it. papa midnite not being there was a nice touch. having a shaman explain an african hunger demon makes more sense then having a voodoo priest do that (and is in a way more political correct). they left out the scene were the hunger demon took form and talked to john. fine with that too, i did not like it very much in the comic and think it simply would not have worked on screen, or be to expensive to do properly (and may have reminded us of that film too much anyway). there was some other stuff left out (wasn't there a dead ex girlfriend too in the comics?). i don't mind. the kept to the essential part of the story and used the remaining time to properly have a dramatic arc, time to establish zed and manny (and to be fair the both improved their acting in this one) and that is more important for the series.

i did not like some cuts, some of the facial expressions, some of zeds gestures and that they overexplained some stuff (but here they cut back a lot compared to especially the last episode). they also explained some stuff twice, that was already in the first episode (i guess at some point we will look back and say, that first episode can be ignored).

i did like the depiction of drug abuse, magic, violence, demonic possession (way more than episode 3), emotions, lighting, tone of the story, man i am fucking invested now.

it was a very good episode, that for the first time hit the spot of, where i could honestly say to others: watch this. and it gets the matt bonus. that guy man i love him. i feel like 9.6 may be a little high, but i gave the other episodes shades of eight, and a 1.6 improvement is totally justifiable, i think. may have to tone it down for future episodes. i will state this as the reference point, all future episodes will be treated as if this was a good seven.

conclusion: ffs guys do more adaptions of source material!

question: does anyone know if the incantations that they use are real languages (i would guess his first attempt to catch the demon was something aramaic?) are those 'real' magical incantations? has anyone knowledge of a site that keeps track of them and translations for them?

We do have Ep. 13 doing Waiting for the Man on the horizon

It's TV so they most likely just have the actors make up phrases and words that SOUND like actual spells.

I was pretty surprised (and impressed) by its generally permissive stance on drugs. Heroin addiction aside, I'd say John almost seemed pro-drugs. Fairly dismissive of teetotalism, at least. Quite unexpected for network TV.

right? RIGHT? they don't let him smoke on screen (but they do their best), but they give us that. i mean all the other criticism aside, they are really going out of their way to give us a lot of what we demanded.

We do have Ep. 13 doing Waiting for the Man on the horizon

yep saw that in the forum. really great, could work. sets up so many possibilites. please give me that second season. pretty please. and i was just saying 2 out of 13 is pretty low quota.

It's TV so they most likely just have the actors make up phrases and words that SOUND like actual spells.

well they did that patricks breastplate thing. it would be a really nice touch to have him do real incantations. (or at least part of them, most of the magic stuff out there would be long enough to fill a season, for starters a catholic church exorcism).

Well here's my review of that episode. (don't mind the ugly tearing up though)

can you make a thread for your reviews? i did not watch any, but i will (promise) and then it would be nice to have them at one spot :), yeah i am totally selfish. also ade could maybe pin that then to promote your reviews ^^

I loved that episode, and I actually didn't mind the way they rewrote Gary's ending. The thing is, in the comic, we're given way more reason not to really feel all that sorry for Gary, since he's such an inconceivable fuckup, and nearly kills JC (when he mails the demon to him). They wouldn't have had the time to do that in the TV series, and if they'd then kept the comic version of the ending, noone in their right mind would do anything but hate JC afterwards. Now he comes off as cynical and twisted, but not cruel, and that's fine by me.

This episode was also actually genuinely horrifying, even to me, who has read the original.

• Upvote 3

Start paying attention to who writes and directs each episode. If this is the best so far, the director's name is john showalter. Cameron welsh wrote it.

Two things i liked i haven't seen mentioned, are gaz's hero worship of John which was his tragic downfall, and John fucking with the guard by making him dance. That was some genuine comic relief before gaz's tragic sacrifice. The final shot was beautiful with John holding gaz's hand tightly while he writhes in agony and Manny there bowing hid head unable to release him - or that's how it appeared.

• Upvote 3

I somehow got the feeling that Gaz wasn't going to hell in the show when Manny was sitting there with John waiting for the end. Like Manny was gonna take him.. I didn't give a damn about comic book Lester, but I felt genuinely sorry for tv Gaz. Frankly, I'd be kinda pissed if they let TV Gaz go to hell after that.

BEST EPISODE YET! I actually teared up a little.

• Upvote 2

Re-watching the episode, I noticed and enjoyed how Gaz's consent was a bit problematic, as John definitely did manipulate him into making the sacrifice. The workings of the manipulation are subtle, but there. I like it a lot more now, even though I still think it's a wee bit too honourable.

I also described the original ending and characterisation of Gaz to my friend who watched the show with me, and from my description she liked the TV version way better. She described the book version as 'horrible and unethical,' which is totally true, but I still think it's better horror that way!

I also confirmed what I thought I might have hallucinated on first viewing: despite the show making a big song-and-dance about using the correct knife for the ritual, the knife shown in the flashback and the knife taken from the museum are completely different. Like, about as different as two ritualistic carved knives can be. It's very weird.

I need to watch it again. I felt that Gaz's exit was a little too noble, as did my wife, who doesn't know much about Hellblazer. She's like "I thought John was a bastard?"

They had to use a kusa not the same one.

Fucking hell, us nerds can be so wrapped up in minutiae.

"bastard" ... sigh.

Also, I have it on good authority (somewhere in one of those videos that NBC do about each episode) that the chants are structured based on culturally appropriate language, thus hopes of "non-Judeo Christian" belief systems just kicked in.

So, anyway, when Manny comes to collect dying souls, time doesn't stop does it?

• Upvote 2

They had to use a kusa not the same one.

Fucking hell, us nerds can be so wrapped up in minutiae.

"bastard" ... sigh.

Also, I have it on good authority (somewhere in one of those videos that NBC do about each episode) that the chants are structured based on culturally appropriate language, thus hopes of "non-Judeo Christian" belief systems just kicked in.

So, anyway, when Manny comes to collect dying souls, time doesn't stop does it?

I think he made an exception when it came to Gaz having Mnemoth inside him