The Darkness Beneath: http://greenandthesm...ath-review.html

The Devil's Vinyl: http://greenandthesm...nyl-review.html

A Feast Of Friends: http://greenandthesm...nds-review.html

Danse Vaudou: http://greenandthesm...dou-review.html

Rage of Caliban: http://greenandthesm...ban-review.html

Blessed Are The Damned: http://greenandthesm...ned-review.html

The Saints of Last Resort (1 of 2): http://greenandthesm...sorts-1-of.html

The Saints of Last Resort (2 of 2): http://greenandthesm...sorts-2-of.html

Quid Pro Quo: http://greenandthesmoke.blogspot.com/2015/01/constantine-quid-pro-quo-review.html

A Whole World Out There:

Angels & Ministers of Grace:

Waiting for the Man:

Season 2 (?)

Episode 14 (Untitled Judith episode?):

Episode 15:

Episode 16 (Untitled Dr, Thirteen Episode ?):

Swansea’s Matt Ryan dons the grubby raincoat and the gruff North American accent but doesn't brandish the ever-present cigarettes - although he does flick a lighter from time to time - for the new TV incarnation.

north american? like a bronx accent?

Swansea’s Matt Ryan dons the grubby raincoat and the gruff North American accent but doesn't brandish the ever-present cigarettes - although he does flick a lighter from time to time - for the new TV incarnation.

The author's trolling everyone

its like this category in john olivers show: 'other countries presidents of the united states'

Perhaps what they mean is gruff generic English accent for the North American ear?

Here's my review

Late to the party and only 30 seconds in but man that coat is so damned clean!

Edited to add some stuff whilst watching....

* It looks like you're reading your thoughts off a screen, or at least scanning some bullet points, which does you a disservice because you come across as relaxed on camera but your eyes are constantly drifting downwards - like you're quite literally looking down on the viewer!

* On a similar tip, that right hand can let go of the mouse, it ain't going anywhere.

* What're you drinking ? I need to know, all I can see is the top of the bottle.

* Hang on, is your camera actually just set really low ? You're not reading stuff off a screen, just looking at the camera maybe ?

* "Like I said, 9 out of 10", pretty sure you said "8 out of 10" at the outset.

* You're too soft-spoken! Or maybe you're not, but everyone else on the internet is a shouty prick.

* I couldn't "Thumbs up" your video, is that something you have to enable ?

I like the idea of your SPARKLING CLEAN COAT getting grubbier as the series goes along.

• Upvote 1

Here's my review

Late to the party and only 30 seconds in but man that coat is so damned clean!

Edited to add some stuff whilst watching....

* It looks like you're reading your thoughts off a screen, or at least scanning some bullet points, which does you a disservice because you come across as relaxed on camera but your eyes are constantly drifting downwards - like you're quite literally looking down on the viewer!

* On a similar tip, that right hand can let go of the mouse, it ain't going anywhere.

* What're you drinking ? I need to know, all I can see is the top of the bottle.

* Hang on, is your camera actually just set really low ? You're not reading stuff off a screen, just looking at the camera maybe ?

* "Like I said, 9 out of 10", pretty sure you said "8 out of 10" at the outset.

* You're too soft-spoken! Or maybe you're not, but everyone else on the internet is a shouty prick.

* I couldn't "Thumbs up" your video, is that something you have to enable ?

I like the idea of your SPARKLING CLEAN COAT getting grubbier as the series goes along.

*No they're my thoughts but sometimes I tend to look around. It comes with the practice of trying to keep eye contact with people.

*I actually record my reviews via cellphone. Still trying to figure out how to record on a laptop.

*That's cologne lol.

*Well it was recorded on a cellphone and like I said, my eyes tend to wander at times when getting my thoughts across.

*Did I? huh. Guess I goofed on that.

*Well I'm in a dorm with others outside. I can only go higher when I'm somewhere alone. sorry bout that.

*Really? I'll try to look into that

And thanks. I just think the coat getting more grittier symbolized John's aging and how we started him with a cool clean coat and as time went on that charming clean look dissolved the more downward his life went in the comics.

• Upvote 2

i think the review was not bad. the closing points about it having a lot of potential they didn't realize. was spot on. i do not agree on horror being better at night, that is just another cheap trick and a cliche (which they in the same article condemned...). i mean i am not 6 anymore, i don't scare of the dark.

they did not mention the racism. they did not mention the music. i could maybe understand rating this episode worse than the first one, but not two complete grades, except if you say that such offensive depiction of an etnicity is a reason for that, which again they did not mention.

the authors need a meeting and have to have some bullet points for writing episodes:

what is the human story (drama) i want to tell in this episode?

is it social commentary, why not?

what are my characters motivation? (heavily bundled with the first point)

how can i use horror to emphasize the first point?

what props do i want to use to depict horror?

could those props be a little more subtle?

is my setup dark enough? (for hb there was no shade of dark, that was too dark)

is there any ethnic group that my story is offending?

do john and zed appear as equals?

are there flames, lightning or other shiny fx effects from johns magic -> why am i doing dc constantine?

they need to change the lighting, the music and the cuts to make it look more edgy, dark and smooth. basically the sensoric perception of the show, should be like the taste of a well aged whiskey, not of jägermeister with monster.

i am sure i forgot something, but it might be a start. i thought before that i may cut the show to much slack, since it is the only chance of hb on screen for a forseeable future. on the other hand, other series got off with bad performances, agents of shield is far from cancelation and it is well at best a decent 5 so far.

and i really do not get how people that say how bad the two episodes of constantine are, say in the same sentence how great a show arrow is, to be perfectly honest arrow is the biggest culmination of generic shit i have seen in a while, basically it is smallville with better lighting, more killing and a protagonist with a worse moral compass than... i really don't know anyone.... he goes on a rampage against people whos name stand in a book, kills of all of their employees that are at the wrong time, in the wrong place and then serves the big bad guy to the justice system after he makes them confess their crimes under some kind of white torture (its a little a simplification, but if i would play devils advocate here: this is hard right winged propaganda disguised as a comic adapted drama show)

also plot devices like arrows book, or constantines blood stained map are the worst kind of plot devices, right after a deus ex machina.

how is that related to the avs review: i read the comments and needed to rant.

• Upvote 1

i think the review was not bad. the closing points about it having a lot of potential they didn't realize. was spot on. i do not agree on horror being better at night, that is just another cheap trick and a cliche (which they in the same article condemned...). i mean i am not 6 anymore, i don't scare of the dark.

they did not mention the racism. they did not mention the music. i could maybe understand rating this episode worse than the first one, but not two complete grades, except if you say that such offensive depiction of an etnicity is a reason for that, which again they did not mention.

the authors need a meeting and have to have some bullet points for writing episodes:

what is the human story (drama) i want to tell in this episode?

is it social commentary, why not?

what are my characters motivation? (heavily bundled with the first point)

how can i use horror to emphasize the first point?

what props do i want to use to depict horror?

could those props be a little more subtle?

is my setup dark enough? (for hb there was no shade of dark, that was too dark)

is there any ethnic group that my story is offending?

do john and zed appear as equals?

are there flames, lightning or other shiny fx effects from johns magic -> why am i doing dc constantine?

they need to change the lighting, the music and the cuts to make it look more edgy, dark and smooth. basically the sensoric perception of the show, should be like the taste of a well aged whiskey, not of jägermeister with monster.

i am sure i forgot something, but it might be a start. i thought before that i may cut the show to much slack, since it is the only chance of hb on screen for a forseeable future. on the other hand, other series got off with bad performances, agents of shield is far from cancelation and it is well at best a decent 5 so far.

and i really do not get how people that say how bad the two episodes of constantine are, say in the same sentence how great a show arrow is, to be perfectly honest arrow is the biggest culmination of generic shit i have seen in a while, basically it is smallville with better lighting, more killing and a protagonist with a worse moral compass than... i really don't know anyone.... he goes on a rampage against people whos name stand in a book, kills of all of their employees that are at the wrong time, in the wrong place and then serves the big bad guy to the justice system after he makes them confess their crimes under some kind of white torture (its a little a simplification, but if i would play devils advocate here: this is hard right winged propaganda disguised as a comic adapted drama show)

also plot devices like arrows book, or constantines blood stained map are the worst kind of plot devices, right after a deus ex machina.

how is that related to the avs review: i read the comments and needed to rant.

I sat through Arrow one time with last season's finale having avoided it since its inception (Starling City, Ollie's soapy family, refusal to use the name Dinah etc). and I just couldn't get into. Even their version of Amanda Waller is proof that the New 52 changes to her will never work nor be accepted when the majority of Non-CW viewers still hold CCH Pounder's DCAU version to high bar. Not to mention her actress is just as awful as Liv in the pilot, if not worse

I don't know if they cut bits out of the scripts/final cut, but in retrospect, what was the gypsy-wife's motivation? Yes, yes, she killed her husband because he was an abusive dick, but he was victim #8? 9? And she kept killing the head honchos even after he was gone, but for what purpose? When john confronts her, she just sics her ghoulies on him, and he explains she was only able to do what she did because of The Rising Darkness™. Was she trying to punish the corporate parasites who endanger the little guys? Did she hate all miners? Were the previous miner deaths just accidents that the spirits were trying to warn them of, and she was trying to avenge the fallen workers?

Plus, if we're talking social commentary, this would've been a tiny bit more edgier if it actually dealt with fracking, instead of just making an offhand dismissing mention of it.

I don't know if they cut bits out of the scripts/final cut, but in retrospect, what was the gypsy-wife's motivation? Yes, yes, she killed her husband because he was an abusive dick, but he was victim #8? 9? And she kept killing the head honchos even after he was gone, but for what purpose? When john confronts her, she just sics her ghoulies on him, and he explains she was only able to do what she did because of The Rising Darkness™. Was she trying to punish the corporate parasites who endanger the little guys? Did she hate all miners? Were the previous miner deaths just accidents that the spirits were trying to warn them of, and she was trying to avenge the fallen workers?

Plus, if we're talking social commentary, this would've been a tiny bit more edgier if it actually dealt with fracking, instead of just making an offhand dismissing mention of it.

I just figured she was bitter about being married to man who lied about his status for so long that she took it out on him and the mining community. Then again, Rising Darkness = Brujeria/Nergal/CRISIS

The motivation for the demon in the first episode was slightly better, but still, it's all a bit underdeveloped and vague so far.

btw chas, amanda waller of the dcau was awesome. i was a really big fan of justice league, batman and batman beyond. the characters had a surprising depth, the stories had profound moral, kept focus on the important stuff for the story and were really diverse. it makes you wonder how kids get better tv entertainment than us adult geeks. (on the other hand the new dc cartoons are shite too)

• Upvote 1

I was partial to Young Justice, I saw it as a continuation of sorts for the Timmverse. Green Lantern and Beware the Batman were both flawed but entertaining, and tried to go a bit deeper than their Marvel counterparts, a pity they both lasted a season due to dicks at CN.

B:TBATB was also gloriously funny in its own way. Do we know if there are any other DC cartoons due to come out soon?

I was partial to Young Justice, I saw it as a continuation of sorts for the Timmverse. Green Lantern and Beware the Batman were both flawed but entertaining, and tried to go a bit deeper than their Marvel counterparts, a pity they both lasted a season due to dicks at CN.

B:TBATB was also gloriously funny in its own way. Do we know if there are any other DC cartoons due to come out soon?

Other than the DTV that's been buried in New 52 deadwood, not at the moment. With Christina Miller now in charge of CN, I hope they'll be a new DC aninmated show on the horizon

Bleeding Cool has one of those recaps, which I don't care much for, but still, nice of them to have a running commentary of some sort [i'd prefer a "Ten Thoughts", like they have for DW] :

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/11/04/capturing-that-x-files-feel-recapping-constantine-episode-2-the-darkness-beneath/

http://www.thetelegram.com/Living/Entertainment/2014-11-05/article-3928785/%26lsquo%3BGotham%26rsquo%3B-could-learn-a-thing-or-two-from-%26lsquo%3BConstantine%26rsquo%3B/1

DC is also known for its darker stories and the best of its trio of new shows comes from this tradition.

“Constantine” only debuted a couple of weeks ago and isn’t top drawer TV, either.

But at least it has an interesting protagonist, a sense of humour and rapid pacing that works when your source material comes from a medium that only tells the important parts of the story in its picture-by-picture original form. This is a point “Gotham” misses by overstuffing its thin narrative.

John Constantine is an exorcist, demonologist and master of the dark arts according to his business card. However, he admits he should change “master” to “dabbler” in the shows opening scenes.

He’s a demon hunter who lost his soul and is now trying to win it back by fighting spirits who possess and hunt the souls of humans.

While this premise might by the furthest from reality, with supernatural beings from hell causing all the havoc, it knows it is entertainment and nothing more.

It’s certainly hokey at times, but the pilot was fun and well written enough that I’m already willing to attempt to get through its first season.

“Constantine” opens in an English mental hospital as John volunteers for electric shock therapy and then tells his shrink he wants to believe everything he thinks is real is only in his head. But after a spirit possess a fellow patient to give him a message he’s back fighting the fight, because no one else can.

John (Matt Ryan) is not alone and travels with an immortal cab driver named Chas (Charles Halford) as his companion. An angel named Manny (played by Harold Perrineau of “Lost” and “Oz” fame) also makes a number of appearances as the half-reluctant hero gets dragged back into a fight he’d rather run away from.

The show — based on the comic originally titled “Hellbazer” — is certainly worth a watch if you’re in to the supernatural stuff. At least the title character isn’t wearing tights.

• Upvote 1

i so hope chas is not immortal and they have a decent explanation for him not dying. i mean john definetly has the means to pull shit like this off and it could lead to some rally dark magic (maybe even darker than gipys magic *winkwink)

i so hope chas is not immortal and they have a decent explanation for him not dying. i mean john definetly has the means to pull shit like this off and it could lead to some rally dark magic (maybe even darker than gipys magic *winkwink)

The producers already confirmed that Chas isn't immortal and that it would all be explained in episode 10.

• Upvote 1