A. Heathen

Constantine REVIEWS

‘Constantine’ has already shown a willingness to change. After a pilot episode that simply did not work, the show ditched the second lead and quasi-rebooted with episode two and things instantly got better. Episode three started delving deeper into ‘Hellblazer’s gallery of allies and enemies (even bringing up Mucus Membrane, John’s terrible punk band from back in the day) and the storytelling became more assured. It still has a long way to go before it’s must-see-TV, but things are improving. This could be a really good show.

But it seems unlikely that they’ll de-bland Constantine himself. Right now, he’s the perfectly adequate lead character of a potentially adequate procedural. Like the show, Matt Ryan is fine. NBC John Constantine is fine. However, ‘Hellblazer’ fans know what they had. We know what they deliberately changed and avoided to create this cleaner, safer version of a great character. John Constantine could have been Don Draper. Instead, he’s that guy from ‘Burn Notice.’ And no one deserves to be that guy from ‘Burn Notice.’

Read More: What NBC’s ‘Constantine’ is Getting Completely Wrong About Constantine | http://comicsalliance.com/what-constantine-gets-wrong-about-constantine/?trackback=tsmclip

• Upvote 1

He talks a fair amount of sense, but I do not believe that writer has quite got the understanding of Constantine that he wishes to suggest he has.

"John Constantine is a bastard. He’s a bad guy and a nasty piece of work who has a habit of getting all of his friends and allies killed. He’ll charm you for the moment, but spend the rest of the time poisoning you. He’s a self-serving git who will manipulate anyone and anything to achieve his ends. A believer in the big picture, he sacrifices whatever and whomever to achieve his ends."

To be fair to the TV production, it is about the younger Constantine who didn't have the depth of all those back issues.

It's not so long after Newcastle.

• Upvote 1

io9 has it's latest review up.

The show's imagery isn't quite as grotesque as the comic's (we're still on network TV, after all) and it doesn't include that brief commentary on excess. But by focusing the entire episode around an idea from the comic, the episode feels, tonally, closer to where it should be.

And the writers also do a nice job of dealing with the limitations and opportunities they've set for themselves. They can't have John Constantine running off to Sudan, so instead he visits a shaman who gives him a hallucinogen that lets him see what he needs to see, and we reap some trippy benefits. Plus, they connect Gary to the Astra and utilize Zeb by having Gary force his withdrawal symptoms on her through psychic transference.

io9 has it's latest review up.

The show's imagery isn't quite as grotesque as the comic's (we're still on network TV, after all) and it doesn't include that brief commentary on excess. But by focusing the entire episode around an idea from the comic, the episode feels, tonally, closer to where it should be.

And the writers also do a nice job of dealing with the limitations and opportunities they've set for themselves. They can't have John Constantine running off to Sudan, so instead he visits a shaman who gives him a hallucinogen that lets him see what he needs to see, and we reap some trippy benefits. Plus, they connect Gary to the Astra and utilize Zeb by having Gary force his withdrawal symptoms on her through psychic transference.

So much for the spell checker, io9

"And the whole demon made out of a ton of little bugs thing was done way back in Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

Cock.

• Upvote 3

"And the whole demon made out of a ton of little bugs thing was done way back in Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

Cock.

Right! I've seen all of Buffy and not one time did I see that. Mr. Epstein's talking bollocks

it certainly sounds like the whole spn argument all over again. :mad:

And we are again going with a friend of John’s needing help. Last time, he was trying to figure out what happened to Bernie, this week he needed to help Gary. What about the map that Liv left him? What about the growing darkness? The first episode made it seem like the show would be building to something rather than just a monster, or demon, of the week.

a friend of johns seems a little far off, we need to be reeducated on what a friend truly is, i think. john knows people, it was one of freakin alan moores design decisions. most of the arcs that stuck with me, started out with some guy john knows. and this is a lot better approach then a map, seriously. i do not want to see that map ever again. for all i care norfulthing can wipe his <enter long sexual obscenity> with that. and as a buffy fan, the guy should know, that the monster of the week approach is a totally classical motive of such shows to establish and build characters, which this episode did. for all the minus you can put on this episode this wasnt one of them.

• Upvote 1

Right! I've seen all of Buffy and not one time did I see that

Well, there's the monster made out of bugs in 'What's My Line'. Close enough.

Still a silly comparison to make, though, not least because (a) the original Hellblazer story predates Buffy by quite a few years, (b) the demon-made-of-bugs concept wasn't original to HB either, and (c ) very little of what made 'A Feast of Friends' work was especially reliant on that specific element anyway.

• Upvote 3