Demon Chas08

Constantine S01E05: "Danse Vaudou"

13 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for Constantine S01E05, please...

slinker    893

I like how they used comic elements and original elements to create the story.

John's dialogue was as spot on as i've heard in an episode so far. I heard him say "ta", "bugger off"

Haas anyone else noticed they are starting to shoot some scenes as they were originally drawn? Look at poppa midnite with the skull in the show and look at it in original sins.

I had some notes, the lack of undo button on my tablet means they are lost.

I went back to my laptop. I hated everything about trying to post on a forum using a pad. it's got a ways to go. All the browser apps suck ass so going online is a pain. I can do Photoshop on my laptop and couldnt on my pad. I haven't even turned my pad on in almost a week.

• Upvote 2

seventhcircle    595

Haas anyone else noticed they are starting to shoot some scenes as they were originally drawn?

i think there was a link someone posted (likely ade or chas) where someone compared shots of the last episode (4) with the original comic. so much of the stuff is so nice. if this is just the foreplay, we are in for a heavyweight climax.

Maritimus    16

Pretty goddamn perfect for me, really enjoyed it. Matt's performance is getting scary good, love the pace of it, the self contained stories, music.. cant be happier with it at this point. Usually i like my fav things to fly under the radar, but i will promote the shit out of it and talk friends into hopping on, because i want it to continue for a good while.

• Upvote 1

Gwilym    330

I've really enjoyed the TV version of Papa Midnite, and I like how he's more low-rent and fallible than in the books. At first I took this as a reimagining, but it's possible it could also be an origin story. I wonder if we'll get to see him reach the heights we see him at when he first shows up in the comic.

• Upvote 2

Red    467

Papa Midnite was good (and damn, he LOOKS good!), so was Matt's JC, but this episode was a step down from Feast of friends for me. A bit too generic in the way the plot resolved. Still, some good bits, especially the interplay between Midnite and John.

Mark    333

Papa Midnite was good (and damn, he LOOKS good!), so was Matt's JC, but this episode was a step down from Feast of friends for me. A bit too generic in the way the plot resolved. Still, some good bits, especially the interplay between Midnite and John.

Agreed, but still a definite step up from the first three - if this is the sort of standard we can expect from a relatively straightforward case-of-the-week story, it's shaping up into a surprisingly decent show. Still not brilliant, but at least on a par with the first season of Supernatural.

• Upvote 1

Rogan    176

Right there with ya, guys. Yeah, not as good as the last, but better than the first three. Gadgets can get a bit ridiculous, but he's also showing plenty of low rent conman tricks, escapism, pickpocketing, etc. I am still wary of the soft pitching of possible spin-offs [spectrestine: New Orleans], I'd prefer it they reserve such things for when/if the show has some strong legs to stand on. Papa Midnite was even better this time around, since he got to do some of that voodoo that he do, which was then used to show us the radical difference in character and approach to magic/faith between him and Constantine. THAT is how you do character-defining things on the network telly.

Zed's a bit incidental, still, but I can't get enough of Chas, especially the slashstick bit in the alley, when he confuses the spirit by answering the question with a question.

Papa Midnite wears the BEST CLOTHING

If they ever do a crossover with Hannibal my eyes will corrode from sheer tailoring excellence

That is some tumblrworthy material there. Hope someone gets right to it.

• Upvote 1

Balthazar    184

Man... Papa Midnite's accent is pretty awful. And I had to pause for a short bit when he started speaking Haitian Creole. Jeeez.

Speedblazer    141

Man... Papa Midnite's accent is pretty awful. And I had to pause for a short bit when he started speaking Haitian Creole. Jeeez.

Well he's Jamaican not Haitian.

Balthazar    184

My boyfriend is Jamaican and even he cringed and laughed at how bad the accent was. He was saying, "It's like the actor couldn't pick which Caribbean accent he was suppose to do, it's a mess." And I don't know, I'd think as a Vodou priest who's suppose to be highly knowledgeable in Haitian Vodou, you'd at least be able to pronounce and speak the language pretty well. But eh, is what it is.

Speedblazer    141

My boyfriend is Jamaican and even he cringed and laughed at how bad the accent was. He was saying, "It's like the actor couldn't pick which Caribbean accent he was suppose to do, it's a mess." And I don't know, I'd think as a Vodou priest who's suppose to be highly knowledgeable in Haitian Vodou, you'd at least be able to pronounce and speak the language pretty well. But eh, is what it is.

Constantine's well versatile in Arabic incantations but he doesn't pronounce the words well. It's not about pronunciation as it is the knowledge.

A. Heathen    1,162

Constantine's done about five different languages in his incantations, but his scouse is still worst.

These things are immaterial if the show's working.

;-)

• Upvote 2

Speedblazer    141

haha. have you ever heard german in us tv? they are not even speaking a proper language, or using real words there... most of the time for what its worth.

Ounc Hello