• 3 - Chucky
    • 4 - Chaz not Chas
    • 5 - Charlie Horse
    • 6 - Taxi Driver
    • 7 - Charles Hawtrey (Dig it?)
    • 8 - Charles Halford esq.
    • 9 - Chas Smash
    • 10 - Frank "Chas" Chandler, as I live and breathe

A MURDEROUS SPIRIT TAKES HOLD OF A YOUNG BOY — When a young boy is taken over by a malevolent spirit, John (Matt Ryan) must put aside his misgivings over exorcising a child and convince the parents that their boy is not all that he seems. Charles Halford and Harold Perrineau also star. Laura Regan, Max Charles and Niall Matter guest star.

Airing 28/11/2014

The back stories for John and Chas were nicely hinted at in this one.

Yeah, I decided to watch "live" with the West Coast people, because I was awake since 4am with a sore throat.

I have taken drugs WAY TOO STRONG to solve this problem and feel woozy now.

Maybe I'll sleep and dream of SPOOKY CHILD.

I don't normally like the Spooky Child genre.

Famously made an exception when Squinty Zelwegger played an unprofessional social worker at Fright Fest.

I forget the film, Case 57 or something.

Anyway.

Things I did not like:

My computer has trouble with streaming and so stuttered a dozen or so times during transmission.

Nothing else. Really. I cannot think of a bad thing in this episode. Thankfully there are people on facebook who will remind me of things.

(No they won't) Oh wait, there was the map again, but like Immortal Chas, I will just tolerate that for now.

Things I liked:

John's scene with Nora. (Notwithstanding the complaints this scene already garnered from people who think it somehow diminishes his chances of liking the occasional gentleman's excuse me.)

Chas swiping John's breakfast until he'll let Chas stay involved.

Later, the reference to Chas's failed relationship with Renee.

"If I need you, I shall give you a little whistle that suddenly chokes into silence."

10629701_10154816168610123_5261241881627760708_n.jpg?oh=11c20d36fed2acb2a3fe374cfc116c46&oe=5514B090&__gda__=1426238965_3d5eac6015ca9a708e4001eb7b854e58

The conversation with the friend who brought him info. Each episode has several moments of normal investigation or acts which could have been magical if the show-makers thought Constantine was some sort of sweary Harry Potter. This chat also gave another insight into John's "exorcism" services, while rather subtly pointing out where this episode was heading ghostwise.

Manny at the Crime Scene. This conversation was alluded to in the 2nd episode we saw, and appears here out of sequence, but I reckon it works fine.

Tom Waits.

I found the spooky child to be genuinely spooky, I think because the kid in the role knew how a moody kid look should work.

The playground scene was brutal even without showing it.

Another messed up Constantinian ceremony :-)

Oh deer.

Quote from the show runners on twitter: "When our animal wrangler said we have a regular deer or a 3 legged deer for the scene, what ELSE would we say?"

This episode is less about horror and more about how Constantine's "occult investigator" business works. But still has moments of spookiness.

Lightbulb moment.

The pay off was not what was expected (there will of course be people who "saw it coming a mile off") and the haunted house setting was perfect.

John punching the dummy :-)

The spirit could have gone to the house, but here we find a showcase for Constantine's morals around doing what needs to be done, regardless of consequences for others.

Consistent with the two preceding episodes, this is building a Hellblazer for TV.

• Upvote 2

This one may be better than the last, a 6.5, perhaps even a 7, after I get a chance to see it again. The kid actor grew on me, since I know him from a million other things [that flawed but watchable sitcom Neighbors, he was Peter Parker age 9 or whatever in the new Spidey films, and even young Pierce Hawthorne in Community]. The direction was good, and the iffy stuff was really at a minimum. The monologue at the close was there again, alas, but this time it wasn't as bad as before, and juxtaposed over the asylum scenes, it had a nice effect of open interpretation regarding what happens to the spirit now that it's in its own body.

• Upvote 2

Also, the opening credits are kinda like the producers asked for a heavy metal cover of the Leftovers opening credits.

That is a compliment, tho.

• Upvote 1

This one may be better than the last, a 6.5, perhaps even a 7, after I get a chance to see it again. The kid actor grew on me, since I know him from a million other things [that flawed but watchable sitcom Neighbors, he was Peter Parker age 9 or whatever in the new Spidey films, and even young Pierce Hawthorne in Community]. The direction was good, and the iffy stuff was really at a minimum. The monologue at the close was there again, alas, but this time it wasn't as bad as before, and juxtaposed over the asylum scenes, it had a nice effect of open interpretation regarding what happens to the spirit now that it's in its own body.

Ooh! Good eye! The Amazing Spider-Man

hm may go a little deeper if i watch it again and am more awake.

the twist in the end was to obvious, i am not sure if it was an xfile episode, but i saw that exact idea once before. the kid actor was really nice and creepy. i liked the thing with the deer.

i watched it together with a friend, who is not into comics and/ or hellblazer. he still things that show needs that spark that puts it over the top, but that it is nice tv. he pointed out, that it was a little incosistent, that while john was at the house and all, that he needed so long to figure it all out. what bothered him most, was that the solution was a little weak.

he grabbed the kid, that threw him around before like shit, from behind. seemed kinda unnecassery and also not feasible to something so powerful. and my friend meant that for the actual exorcism, john should've used a little more mumbo jumbo wording at least. what he did seemed to easy.

• Upvote 1

He's using actual incantations then English instructions so the audience can understand it.

it relies on the power of names.

I don't honestly see a problem when half the detractors say the exorcism is cliche and the others seem to want an overdrawn pastiche of the exorcism films.

Elsewhere, people have criticised the series for not doing scenes that have actually been in there. I guess that's because they are being understated (and they are right to underplay the magical spells if you ask me)

I honestly don't want this show to have a lot of magic in it to be honest. One of the appealing things about Hellblazer for me is that John is a magi/warlock who isn't super powered nor has large abundance of magic at his disposal. He's basically a giant magic nerd who just knows a lot of practical spells and exorcism things in a working class environment. I really liked that about John because he was just a normal human being who happens to read and study a lot of occult things and a few peddling magic that's helped him defeat demons, trick the devil, and even talk with god himself. John may not be physically or magically strong, but he has done things that most couldn't accomplish with stronger powers. And he did it all with his peddler magic, knowledge, and a shit ton of luck.

For the show, I want them to keep that aspect about John. So far to me it seems John has a wide variety of magic items and equipment and I much rather he not have that secret base with all that powerful magic stuff in it. It sort of takes away from the urgency of how John will get himself out of dangerous situations. I like the way the show is going but still.

• Upvote 2

This one gets bonus points for taking place mostly in my city of residence. Nice to see the skyline and Vulcan up there on his perch.

Liked most of everything, including the way John glossed over the frankincense do hickey. I didn't see the twist ending coming, I'll admit it. Poor Chas' legs. Lots of nice jump scares.

That was quite good, really. Agree with most of what Ade said earlier. I also liked the kid actor. In general, the supporting cast was better in this one than in a couple of the others.

Loved the scene in the drunk tank.

• Upvote 1