A. Heathen

Constantine S01E07 "Blessed Are the Damned"

9 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for Constantine S01E07, Please...

• 1 - The Horrible Asp
    • 2 - Bring To Me The Anti-Venom
    • 3 - Hissssssss
    • 4 - Get Saint Patrick on the case
    • 5 - Snakes From Single socks
    • 6 - The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight
    • 7 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEJaf8Bvc9U
    • 8 - Snakes On A Plane
    • 9 - The Winged Serpent
    • 10 - Trusssst in Manny

OK, first off, poisonous snakes (except for cobras and mambas) all have triangular heads. Especially rattlesnakes, which are what we were to have assumed he was handling. And when Zed was seeing snakes at her feet, they were boas, yet they were rattling like rattlesnakes. I really wish someone had done their due diligence. They could have CGI'd a rattler on top of the boas for a more realistic poisonous snake.

rattlesnake+head_edited-1.jpg

none of those "rattlers" had a head like this.

The condom bit was funny. "we're going to see a preacher in a curch." "Good point." and he removes one of the condoms off the strip. That was some funny shit right there. And have I mentioned I am in love with Angelica Celeya? because I am. I think she is beautiful.

"Sharp tack, you are, luv."

So, this was the first time Manny appears to John without time stopping.

Angels are compartmentalized? Sounds like a conspiracy theory!

Zed sleeps in a tent out in the woods wearing make up?

John bashing skulls with a tree limb was cool.

Damn! Pull a bitch's heart out like a motherfucker!

A line right out of Time Bandits: "that's concentrated evil."

Oh, a mystery dude!

The show has turned into a demon of the week showcase, which on the surface isn't very cool but it's all part of the "Rising Darkness" theme that, although it is a pretty dumb term, it's still a compelling overall arc. It's almost like a Mike Carey multi-issue story arc that makes sense more as a complete work than it does an issue at a time. I liked this episode more than the previous, but I still rank it closer to the pilot and the previous episode than I do the better episodes so far. This sounds more negative than I mean it to, but I love where we are going. It's just that some parts of the journey are more compelling than others. I would like for the next episode to be adapted from the comics. I like the original stories too, but like with walking dead, i prefer some familiar tales mixed in with the originals so I can geek out more.

OK, first off, poisonous snakes (except for cobras and mambas) all have triangular heads. Especially rattlesnakes, which are what we were to have assumed he was handling. And when Zed was seeing snakes at her feet, they were boas, yet they were rattling like rattlesnakes. I really wish someone had done their due diligence. They could have CGI'd a rattler on top of the boas for a more realistic poisonous snake.

rattlesnake+head_edited-1.jpg

none of those "rattlers" had a head like this.

The condom bit was funny. "we're going to see a preacher in a curch." "Good point." and he removes one of the condoms off the strip. That was some funny shit right there. And have I mentioned I am in love with Angelica Celeya? because I am. I think she is beautiful.

"Sharp tack, you are, luv."

So, this was the first time Manny appears to John without time stopping.

Angels are compartmentalized? Sounds like a conspiracy theory!

Zed sleeps in a tent out in the woods wearing make up?

John bashing skulls with a tree limb was cool.

Damn! Pull a bitch's heart out like a motherfucker!

A line right out of Time Bandits: "that's concentrated evil."

Oh, a mystery dude!

The show has turned into a demon of the week showcase, which on the surface isn't very cool but it's all part of the "Rising Darkness" theme that, although it is a pretty dumb term, it's still a compelling overall arc. It's almost like a Mike Carey multi-issue story arc that makes sense more as a complete work than it does an issue at a time. I liked this episode more than the previous, but I still rank it closer to the pilot and the previous episode than I do the better episodes so far. This sounds more negative than I mean it to, but I love where we are going. It's just that some parts of the journey are more compelling than others. I would like for the next episode to be adapted from the comics. I like the original stories too, but like with walking dead, i prefer some familiar tales mixed in with the originals so I can geek out more.

Between Carey, American Gothic and The Fear Machine, they're pretty much the show's blueprint wheras the New52 books just can't decide on whether it wants to be a bad DC book or a bad Marvel book or sometime a bit of both in its incoherent form of consistency

• Upvote 1

I loved the last act. Excellent twists that i feel like I should have seen but didn't.

Loved Johns water deal working in reverse.

Imogen's attempt to turn Manny was nicely written and well acted. Superb.

Mamny saving the day was a bit of a surprise. Look forward to seeing the fallout from that.

So what was that mask deal that was on the shelf next to Imogen's black heart? I feel like i should have recognized it.

• Upvote 1

I'm starting to warm to John's bag of tricks, if only cause it's so dumb - it's a shame they ditched the business card, thought that would've made for a good running joke.

i finally came around to watch it. it was pretty decent stuff. watchable at least.

so if john couldn't touch the feather, and they thought he was not good hearted enough. does that mean after the revelation of imogen being a bad girl, that john is actually good at heart and zed is not?

angelica is such a geogerous woman.

So, I noticed on the stigmata map that this episode takes place in my town, or at least the show's interpretation of it. That area of Kentucky looks nothing like that, no snake handlers that I'm aware of. Had they moved it to South-Eastern KY though, yeah, I would have totally bought that. Would've needed more people using crystal meth to really get that Kentucky charm, though.

• Upvote 3

Still, you can bathe in the light of having a very tangential connection to the show! :laugh:

There was a for-real news story early last year about an Eastern Kentucky snake-handler that was bit and died from the venom. His son then took up the pastor position at the church, complete with snake-handling, and he too was bit. He somehow survived, and from what I remember went right back to tossing around the slithering murder serpents. No word on angel feather involvement, though.

• Upvote 1