A. Heathen

Constantine S01E09: "The Saint of Last Resorts" pt2

13 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for Constantine S01E09, please...

• 1 - Mexican't
    • 2 - Messican
    • 3 - Mex do
    • 4 - Last of the Mejicans
    • 5 - Mexed feelings
    • 6 - Mexican hat dance
    • 7 - Mexican stand off
    • 8 - Mexican jumping bean
    • 9 - Mexorcist
    • 10 - XX Mex Gets Mexcited

A. Heathen    1,166

We do have a Hard Time inspired episode w John in prison. 109.

Second half of a two-part cliffhanger. Will air in January.

Daniel Cerrone (via Twitter)

John edit follows....

Anne Marie, a member of the Newcastle crew, asks John and Chas for help in Mexico City -- bringing them close to the heart of the rising darkness; Zed is haunted by her past.

• Upvote 3

Demon Chas08    295

So with that we can sleep well knowing the world won't endure SW Manor and Agent Turro or that fanfic*

*aka Milligan's prison issue

Rogan    176

It seems that this season was [commendably] all about trying to incorporate/pay tribute to various aspects of the character - the NuDCU's go-to magic botherer, the early Delano-Zed stories, Hard Time, Moore's stint on Swampy... Which could explain some of the tonal shifts and inconsistencies.

• Upvote 1

slinker    893

trying to please too many viewers or too many cooks spoiling the soup?

• Upvote 1

A. Heathen    1,166

The only hard on fanboys &girls worth bothering about are the ones here.

But you can always go onto Facebook and take it out on the folks who like the film.

or start every post with "i have read every single comic ever that Constantine has ever been in, and I say ..."

• Upvote 3

Dave    279

Very good return. Nice payoffs from the first part. Loved the shot of John waking among the shattered bodies of those gang members. Nice effects on Vicente during the jailhouse exorcism. Not so much when he was with the British consulate. Anyway I really enjoyed it.

A. Heathen    1,166

Daniel Cerone@DanielVCerone 5h5 hours ago

Did John take the Pazuzu inside? Yes. Told you he was bi. #Constantine #Hellblazers

I was a little under-whelmed by parts of this.

The prison scenes didn't seem prisony enough.

Daniel Cerone ‏@DanielVCerone 6h6 hours ago

We shot the prison scenes in an actual prison. #Constantine

Was it me or was the music when Zed's useless captor went to stick her with the green sleeping syringe the same as the Reanimator theme?

Liked the exorcism and the dynamic between the four main characters.

Liked the Serpent chappy. If they are going to introduce the demonic reincarnation thing from the popular comic, Hellblazer, he'd be a good one to bring back.

Only slightly disappointed that they tricked us all who expected the demon blood to be introduced properly.

What a rollercoaster of an episode to introduce the new folks with.

• Upvote 1

A. Heathen    1,166

Oh, in the pantheon of the Constantinian Bag of Poppins, the tape with exorcisms in 50 different languages is a gem.

• Upvote 1

Red    467

That was a good one. I liked the possession, and how they played it, I think Manny's getting more interesting over time, and I liked the interplay between Anne Marie and John.

The final exorcism scene was marred a bit by the ease with which Anne Marie fell for Pazuzu's tricks, one minute after warning the others about them, but otherwise, nice. Some good acting by Ryan too in this one.

Demon Chas08    295

Daniel Cerone@DanielVCerone 5h5 hours ago

Did John take the Pazuzu inside? Yes. Told you he was bi. #Constantine #Hellblazers

I was a little under-whelmed by parts of this.

The prison scenes didn't seem prisony enough.

Daniel Cerone ‏@DanielVCerone 6h6 hours ago

We shot the prison scenes in an actual prison. #Constantine

Was it me or was the music when Zed's useless captor went to stick her with the green sleeping syringe the same as the Reanimator theme?

Liked the exorcism and the dynamic between the four main characters.

Liked the Serpent chappy. If they are going to introduce the demonic reincarnation thing from the popular comic, Hellblazer, he'd be a good one to bring back.

Only slightly disappointed that they tricked us all who expected the demon blood to be introduced properly.

What a rollercoaster of an episode to introduce the new folks with.

I wasn't. It wouldn't feel right having Pazuzu's blood flowing through our boy when Nergal's would be the more obvious candidate

Mark    333

That was really, really good.

Given Manny's reproachful glance at the end I strongly suspect that we actually have now seen the moment of demonic tainting that will be used to resolve the Zed/Mary story, and for probably the first time so far I thought it was an unequivocal improvement over the way it was done in the comics. It'd be a shame to lose that bond of personal connection between John and Nergal, but there's still room for something else to fill that role later on, so I haven't given up hope yet. In the meantime, having John willingly taint himself in a reckless, cocky attempt to save himself rather than being blackmailed into it as a fairly noble way of saving a hospital ward full of innocent babies strikes me as an eminently Constantine-esque notion, and further evidence that whatever else can be said of the daleks show it's clearly being made by people with a stronger grasp of who John Constantine - the real one - is than I'd ever dared to hope.

Like Red, I liked the way Manny was played this week. If this is how they're ultimately going to lead us towards John's more antagonistic relationship with the forces of Heaven, as seen under Ennis in particular, it'll retroactively make the "working with Manny in a bid to save his soul" stuff from the pilot a lot more palatable.

• Upvote 2

Mark    333

There's a sentence in the above post that should clearly read "whatever else can be said of the show...", but I'm leaving it as it is simply because of how much I enjoy the fact that my phone's auto-predict assumes that the phrase "...of the..." should obviously be completed with "...Daleks". My phone apparently knows me well.

• Upvote 1

slinker    893

Much better than it's part 1, wqhich makes me appreciate part 1 a bit more. It seemed like an adventure, a real adventure.

tumblr_nic60jz06R1qlfqwko1_400.png

give us a wee kiss, won't you, precious?

Mark    333

does it also complete 'the' with 'doctor'? or 'ex' with terminate?

Yes and no, respectively.