Guest Harry Houdini

A New Writer

ADRIAN:

... various writers, doing shorter arcs each, with perhaps one regularly recurring one to keep the strands together.

I'd go further than that. What about following the Superman line?

Capitalising on the growth in readership from the kickass movie, they could easily split the title into 4 monthlies, with staggered pub dates so that there's one out each week. Different writer and artist team for each title, but all overseen by a single executive editor. Jon Vankin gets my vote for his grasp of the title's history. They'd all meet say twice a year - in a pub - to nut out the meta-direction of the title, with each team having a certain amount of autonomy as long as they kept to the metacontinuity. Off the top of my head, we'd have:

Hellblazer (the current title, renamed)

John Constantine, Hellblazer (numbered from issue 1)

Adventures of Hellblazer

The Smoketacular Hellblazer

Regarding "a certain amount of autonomy", obviously it'd have to be done so tightly that you'd need to buy each of the 4 titles to have a prayer of following it. If we start making comics that are satisfying within a single issue, we'll have bloody kids buying them again.

- Jason

I'll keep you in mind the next time i need someone to run a whorehose, jason.

I got yer whore-hose right here, buddy. :)

No, seriously, thanks for the offer, but I'm already pimpin' for six bitches.

- Jason

Urgh! All of a sudden, Constantine is built like a brick shithouse and is capable of being hit with a truck without dying! No thanks, man.

What James said.

I love Miller, but if there's one thing reading his work has taught me, it's that he does what he does, and he ain't going to change that now. Batman: Year One is probably the last major Miller project which didn't fall under the category described above, and that was nearly 20 years ago.

Miller's style definitely isn't something that fits Hellblazer. Though I wouldn't mind seeing his take on the character, in maybe a short story as part of an anthology or something.

Actually, I think my (most realistic) would be Si Spencer, for reasons already mentioned.

(Is that a male or female name, btw? I've never heard it before.)

As I think I've made abundantly clear, I'm absolutely delighted with things as they are. I can't think of anyone I'd rather see take over the title than Denise Mina at present, and I'm trying very hard not to get over-excited and build up my expectations to an unrealistic degree.

Actually, I think my (most realistic) would be Si Spencer, for reasons already mentioned. 

(Is that a male or female name, btw?  I've never heard it before.)

Male, short for Simon. Or female and short for Simone, I suppose. Gah!

I would like to see the following writers on HELLBLAZER

For a newbie maybe a one shot Andy Diggle. In terms of returning Neil Gaiman would be great but I would really like to see Morrison return to the title.

:icon_2gun: :icon_twosgun:

Guest spiderlegs
As I think I've made abundantly clear, I'm absolutely delighted with things as they are. I can't think of anyone I'd rather see take over the title than Denise Mina at present, and I'm trying very hard not to get over-excited and build up my expectations to an unrealistic degree.

Not knowing anything about her, really, I'm just glad she meets with the approval of many of our expert HELLBLAZERS. I'm currently (and FINALLY) reading Delano's run and then Jenkins run to get the full breadth of the main writers' contributions. Then I'll pick up one of her books suggested in this thread. Of ocurse, by the time I get to that point, she'll be well into her 2nd year, I suppose... :huh:

Since we're on the subject of a Scottish writer taking over the chores on Hellblazer, I was talking with my bro' last night and we both agreed that it would be fun to read a Hellblazer mini series by Christopher Brookmyer, maybe similar in tone to Bad Blood (ie lots of black humour)

Peter Milligan would be interesting, though I don't know if Hellblazer is weird or hyper-real enough for him.

Morrison's two-part storyline was a corker, and I'd like to see what sort of thing he'd come up with if he was on it full-time.

It seems likely that a female crime writer from Glasgow will be the next Hellblazer author, though possibly only for a short while: <a href="http://hellblazer.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=962" target="_blank">http://hellblazer.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=962</a>

These were the days, eh folks?

After reading all of the latest Swamp Thing issues I'd like to see what Scott Snyder could do on the book. Not sure if he's a brit (my preference) or not but the work he's doing on ST is top notch.

He's as American as they come.

If you take the first letter of each line in all of his writing and line the letters up, you'll see that he always includes the acrostic message, "SUPPORT OUR TROOPS" in all of his work. That's just how American he is.

:laugh:

Yeah just saw his wiki, he's a Merkin. I'm just really high on his work on ST right now. Wouldn't it be sweet if he worked JC into Swamp Thing? Fook.

I see Jeff Lemire's had a practice run at Oor Johnny.

Just saw that. You mean Animal Man #7?

i just glanced inside the latest The Hellblazer comic and saw a scene with First Of The Fallen is talking to The Hellblazer.

And it reminded me of a Jack Chick tract.

Then I read a Peter Bagge comic - which was better drawn and better characterised.

Go (as the Americans say) figure.

Go (as the Americans say) figure.

that tickled me.