Demon Chas08

13 only (Production Halted)

http://deadline.com/...nbc-1201294518/

EXCLUSIVE: The freshman season of NBC drama Constantine will consist of 13 episodes. The cast and crew of the series were informed on Friday that the series will halt production after completing production on the initial 13-episode order. Constantine will remain in its 10 PM Friday time slot for the remainder of its run.

While NBC recently made a similar decision on freshmen comedy series Bad Judge and A to Z, I hear the circumstances are different. While Bad Judge and A to Z had been de facto cancelled, Constantine remains in contention for a second-season renewal.

Constantine has not been a breakout the way fellow NBC Friday genre drama Grimm was in its debut. But NBC brass were probably encouraged by the freshman’s +38% week-to-week ratings jump this Friday to a 1.1 among adults 18-49 in Live+Same day, the show’s highest mark since the series debut, and by its best retention of the Grimm lead-in, also since the series debut. Additionally, Constantine, based on the DC property, has strong fan base because of its comic origins and has seen big DVR lifts, most recently rising +81% in Live+3.

NBC has been supportive of the show, running a marathon of episodes on cable sibling Syfy this weekend and slating Constantine cast members to appear on the network’s broadcast of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade next week.

It is not clear what NBC will air in the Friday 10 PM time period after Constantine’s run is over, though previous slot occupant Hannibal, which has been renewed for a third season, is considered a strong possibility. NBC has three new drama series on tap for midseason, Allegiance, Odyssey, Aquarius, as well as miniseries The Slap.

Constantine was one of three DC-themed new dramas this fall. The other two, Gotham on Fox and The Flash on the CW, both earning full-season orders.

So far this season, NBC has given a full-season pickup to procedural drama The Mysteries of Laura and a partial one to comedy Marry Me.

Daniel Cerone@DanielVCerone 4m4 minutes ago

This is an accurately reported story. Our first season is 13 eps. Next season's fate is in YOUR hands.

And:

Daniel Cerone ‏@DanielVCerone 3m3 minutes ago

The producers are confidant. Constantine higher ratings than Hannibal and CLIMBING. Hannibal got 2nd season. So keep watching!

Shit. Since I've been watchinbg Grimm lately, I find it kind of hilarious that they're thinking about cancelling Constantine, while Grimm is now in its 4th season. Grimm is worse in every respect, and far more cliched. But I guess the ratings rule.

• Upvote 1

Shit. Since I've been watchinbg Grimm lately, I find it kind of hilarious that they're thinking about cancelling Constantine, while Grimm is now in its 4th season. Grimm is worse in every respect, and far more cliched. But I guess the ratings rule.

I've catched glimps of Grimm with the DVR recording of our show. Never got its appeal

Grimm is basically what Buffy would be if it was a cop show.

• Upvote 2

Grimm is basically what Buffy would be if it was a cop show.

That explains why I couldn't be arsed with it for so long when I've saw the genuine article herself

didn't you guys rip gotham apart? why do they get more episodes and not us? :sad:

They crave the abuse of Bruno Heller being too on the nose and throwing in too many characters. If anything, Gotham is DC's answer to Marvel's Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.S. only more garrish

I've said it elsewhere on the forum but the notion of a 20 plus first season seemed like a nonsense to me from the outset, so as long as a second season (of 13 episodes) is secured I'm fine with this.

Keep it tight, plan your story, tell it then get the fuck off the stage and leave me gagging for more.

• Upvote 4

Well, if we actually get the second season, that's a-OK for me.

• Upvote 5

It feels like they have some momentum, fingers crossed and all of that.

Edit : What kind of [over-used word] outright cancels a programme after only one season of 13 episodes anyway ? What if the DVD/Blu Ray sales are great ? Or it finds an audience on Netflix ?

• Upvote 1

Guest Just Some Old Fucker

We survived with 12 issues per year of the comic so 13 episodes of the TV show is acceptable. Plus it'll force the producers to focus on the story arc more so there won't be those inevitable filler episodes that focus on Manny the Angel or what Chas does when Constantine isn't around.

Oh THANK GOD! I thought they were going to cancel the whole thing but it's just a thirteen episode season and a second one coming. That's good. And this is also good because it's better pace of continuity and to the point. I was worried that I'd have only Supernatural as my source of occult television.

But also, far too early to get hopes down. If the ratings keep improving, or maybe even stay at the level it's at, i think it's a decent probability we'll see year 2.

• Upvote 1

What kind of [over-used word]* sets up a website to predict which series will be cancelled?

Do bookmakers take bets on this?

Couldn't NBC bet against the series then use their winnings to fund season 2?

*I know the answer is the same sort of [over-used word] who posts in comments threads around the internet but has the skills to do their own website.

• Upvote 1

Nice to see so many positive comments about the series around the web under stories on this curtailing of the first season, really does feel like NBC need to hold their nerve here - slip Hannibal in after Constantine wraps, let them one-two after Grimm for the foreseeable and see if you can't build a little something-something.

• Upvote 3

and show reruns of constantine after hannibal and vice versa.

but yeah it was really nice to see. i read one comment somewhere that was still like: bad spn ripoff :laugh: