Rogan

At last, compensation for Batman Forever? (aka Suicide Squad)

Red    467

Yeah, I'm not expecting anything actually GOOD, but it might be worth spending a couple of hours in a movie theatre for.

A. Heathen    1,125

It looked fun.

It's a shame that Harley and the Joker will be crowded out. I hope they get a chance to go up against Batleby (and Loki) in a forthcoming introduction of color ™ to the DC Movie Universe.

should we hold a preemptive funeral for El Diablo and Slipknot right now?

Who is Joel Kinneman playing again? As far as the trailer, it looks pretty good to me but i know i wont be seeing it in the theater because that is my lot in life these days.

I think he is playing Rick Flagg

JohnMcMahon    562

Dude cracking open a beer during that bit in Bohemian Rhapsody was ace, as was everything involving Harley.

Liking Jared's Joker too, which appears to be something of a controversial statement.

Lou K    1,054

The shot of him lying down surrounded by knives is stylish as fuck.

That's sort of what sold me, yeah.

St. Apathy    140

I dunno about the Joker, myself. Seems too over the top. Which is actually appropriate, however...

The rest? I am very much into.

Red    467

So, are there any specific Suicide Squad comics people would like to recommend for me, to get in the mood for the film?

Red    467

Sorry, scratch that, apparently they do, in fuckloads. So to reiterate my question: Are there any of them I should pick up first? I'm not going to read 100s of comics here.

dogpoet    443

Apart from the huge John Ostrander run from the '80s and early '90s, if there's a collection of the short lived Keith Giffen series (from 2001, a dozen issues) that's worth a look. It has sod all to do with the film, though.

As for the proper stuff, I'd suggest that all four of the collections of that are worth a look. They only go up to about #30 because they're padded out with issues of other comics that the stories crossover with. This is actually a plus for once, as the first collection of the Ostrander series has all of the set up stories that were published elsewhere before Suicide Squad#1 came out.

As Kate says though, the film looks like being based on the stuff from the last ten years, with Captain Boomerang's son instead of the original poorly dressed old fart who's dead now (I think: comics character's often recover from that).