A. Heathen

Credit where it's due

Unlike Marvel (note their films and TV) DC has not quite got the hang of recognising its artists and writers on work for hire.

This comment from Steve Bissette is telling.

Stephen Bissette

Yesterday at 11:33 · Edited ·

FYI, on CONSTANTINE's brief fling at life on television.

Again, this didn't directly benefit the original creators, though we'll be seeing a royalty share of whatever spike in graphic novel sales it prompted. Still, I was happy to know creative folks I admire like Neil Marshall and Mark Verheiden were part of this program, and wish we'd have seen where they'd have taken it, given time. I only got to see one episode myself (the one set in Birmingham, Alabama, oddly enough while I was in Huntsville, AL, during my last two weeks with my Mom and family during her final month), the second one helmed by Neil, and quite enjoyed it. Someday, I hope to see the rest of the run, such as it is/was.

FYI, I did quietly reach out to DC early on; it meant nothing. Got an initial kind response, but pointless in the end. Got kinder response from one connected with the program directly, and that's something—a measure of respect, if nothing else. But I was respectful, in kind. Never badmouthed the circumstances or the venture. Never wished this venture ill, and held my tongue refusing interviews when they came knocking (and oh, they did).

It's been a curious process. Again, we original creators DO earn quarterly royalties on graphic novel and such sales, so if there was a benefit there, we'll see that in time. Nothing more.

So, there ya go. I should be angry, but life is more important, and love/life left/loss of parents have preoccupied me this year. Gave this all the time and energy it deserved, which was precious little.

Suffice to say this character had a shot, of a kind, and "The New DC" showed what they were made of, which spoke volumes. I wish them well, too.

Given that Alan Moore's stroppy comments have led to him letting Lloyd and Gibbons get some credit, and Superman films have to credit relevant creators, this is a matter of dignity

Delano, Veitch, Totleben, Bissette, Carey and Ennis have been referenced.

Probably more if you include the DCU Easter Eggs.

It would not take them much to put a "based on", and DC's legal department risk management team should let that happen.

If you're on the Twitter please retweet my tweet

I'm all in favour of credit where it's due. In particular Moore, Delano and Ennis should be acknowledged and rewarded.

Is credit due to Stephen, or any of the artists of Hellblazer? One might as well credit Sting, or the costume designer for Quadrophenia.

Well they are not even putting "based on a story by".

But Swamp Thing was not the time of Alan Moore writing elaborate scripts that exerted total control over his artists (and he still credits the input of artists he gave those scripts to). All the regular artists have contributed to stories, in a medium that generally acknowledges that the creatives are in collaboration.

Taking reference for a likeness or a costume is one thing, but the TV series has been quite proud of putting direct lifts in there.

The design of the invunche in the programme is not like Steve Bissette's actually, but there's a simple degree of respect missing, presumably because DC are scared of having to fork out money.

Actually, "As seen in the DC Comics series Hellblazer" would be nice.

• Upvote 1

Actually, "As seen in the DC Comics series Hellblazer" would be nice.

It'd be a no-brainer. Aren't they doing that? I'd have thought DC would have insisted.

Crediting the artists does make sense when you put it in terms of individual episodes "based on a story by..." :hattip:

Is credit due to Stephen

My understanding is that John Constantine would never have been created had Stephen not started sticking a Sting look-a-like in the background of Swamp Thing pages.