Sign in to follow this  
kneeshaw

Question regarding John and Zatanna

kneeshaw    5

Hey,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to Hellblazer but I've just fallen in love with the character so much and for writing experience, I'm gonna produce a 'Hellblazer one-shot' for lack of a better term. Now, in the story I'm writing, there's gonna be some interaction between John and Zatanna and I wonder if you guys could point me in the right direction to issues that really explore and explain their dynamic and past relationship?

Thanks in advance guys!

• Upvote 2

seventhcircle    582

the most of their interaction is before hellblazer. its in the crisis part of swamp thing i think. basically

her father is killed off by johns shananigans (some sceance). also they were fuckbuddies. during hellblazer she once appeared at his birthday (its the issue called 'forty' i think), were she strongly turned down his advances to again establish some mutual thingy. they are friends and most importantly they see eye to eye. she is a strong women and a really powerful mage and actually not a real human. and well he is just john constantine :D a charming asshole, an altruistic egoist, a powerful dabbler in things no mortal has any business in and so full of contradictions he can only be described as human, although he is the constantine, the laughing magician and as such, he is a force for balance in the world.

apart from being both sexy and having something to do with magic, they have not a lot in common

• Upvote 1

Gwilym    330

I'm pretty sure the only time I've ever seen her is when she got stoned with John and his mates in 'Forty.'

That sounds like a fun writing project; and yes, he's a somehow immediately loveable character, despite one of his main traits being that he's not the slightest bit immediately loveable. I'm sure there's some kind of magic involved

• Upvote 2

kneeshaw    5

Thanks for the responses, guys

I'll definitely look up Forty more and I've got some Swamp Thing to check put where they cross paths (for the first time I do believe). She's not definitely in there as I think she may just be there for the sake of being there when I could just write an original character and not have to worry about why she isn't being magic all the way through

There's something about grossly flawed characters I can't resist and he's like the king of that so it only makes sense

Dave    265

Were they together in Paul Dini's Zatanna mini? I haven't read it so i don't know if he got John right or not...

Rogan    176

Gaiman's Books of Magic miniseries, Issue #2, has some nice, understated stuff with John and Zatanna too.

• Upvote 1

Christian    744

I believe the first mention of John and Zatanna actually having a fling was in the Zatanna mini-series written by Lee Marrs. It looks like it was sub-titled "Come Together". It was from 1993, I guess. It's not a major part of the plot. John is only in the book for a brief moment, I believe it was in issue #2. It just drops some hints that they dated for a time, and it wasn't good, and it ended badly, and Zatanna isn't too fond of John at that point.

Later, there was an one-shot published by Vertigo called Zatanna:Everyday Magic, written by Paul Dini. It guest-stars John and is the most fleshed out the relationship between the two ever got.

There isn't a lot of material on their relationship.

• Upvote 1

Rogan    176

Actually, Christian, Gaiman's mini is from 1991, I think, and it refers to them having a romantic history:

OflO8ef.jpg

Christian    744

Oh, my mistake. I was confused, because I remember the mini-series is hard to find, and I knew there was a reason that it was relatively rare, but wasn't sure the exact reason. I think it had something to do with the John and Zatanna relationship. Maybe it was the first time they were shown together dating, as part of the flashback during the story.

• Upvote 1

I picked up that Zatanna mini-series a year or so ago from a discount bin, and it's really not very good. John is seen in a 1-page flashback/hallucination sequence, but he does get mentioned a few times. The mini was totally spun out of Gaiman's use of Zatanna in Books of Magic, Tannarak is the villain and the first issue follows up on the visit to his nightclub in BoM # 2.

• Upvote 1

Christian    744

Yeah, I don't remember it being a particularly good read either, but it was supposedly a major event as far as the John and Zatanna relationship (even if John Constantine hardly figured in the mini-series), and also for changes and characterization in Zatanna. There must be some people out there who find the mini-series a major story-line for Zatanna, since it can be hard to track down.

There's much better Zatanna stories out there, in my view.