JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer #205

36 members have voted

1. 1. Hellblazer #205

• 10 (Mange!)
    • 5 (Straff!)
    • 1 (John's fifth cousin twice removed!)

Oh, and the phone number she gives doesn't have enough numbers (it should have 7 after the dialling code, not 6).

Not in these Northern parts, London-boy (or Glasgow-boy, for that matter). I don't know about Liverpool, but we've got 6-digit phone numbers in the North-East.

While we're on the pedantry kick, I'll just add this one;

Spiderlegs - I broadly agree with the rest of what you said, but dear Ratboy (can we call him by his name yet? Anyone not read this yet who's still curious?) hardly counts as an "overly recurring" character, does he? We haven't seen him at all since issue #***(censored, partly because I can't remember the precise number)***, which is a Hell of a long time ago, if you'll excuse the pun. He's not someone who's kept cropping up whenever a writer's run out of better ideas, which is my usual objection to these type of re-appearances. I'm still not sure how I feel about the return, other than that. It very much depends on what Mike does over the next few months.

i hope we get a TPB with the Ratboy's old appearances in HB...

...what, i can hope, right?

When can we stop calling the entity inside Chas "Ratboy"?

Shall we give everyone here who has still to read #205 another week and then start discussing the demon in question properly without resorting to spoilers?

Shall we give everyone here who has still to read #205 another week and then start discussing the demon in question properly without resorting to spoilers?

Personally, I think that if you're dumb enough to walk into a discussion about the issue without reading it first, then I don't care if it's spoiled for you.

Ratboy is the ghost of Notorious B.I.G.! There! Hahaha! SPOILED!!!!

Personally, I think that if you're dumb enough to walk into a discussion about the issue without reading it first, then I don't care if it's spoiled for you.

Ratboy is the ghost of Notorious B.I.G.! There! Hahaha! SPOILED!!!!

Right, fuck it then.

"Ratboy" is Nergal.

There we go, wasn't too painful was it?

The pacing of Carey's run has been non-stop for so long now (barring #201, which, even though I wasn't wild about it as a story in and of itself, was a good example of the kind of thing I'd like to see Mike occasionally leaving room for between major arcs) that it's in serious danger of stepping over that fine line between 'tense and gripping' and 'hysterical'. The 'false peak before revealing the actual summit up ahead' approach to shocking revelations only really works in narrative story-telling if there's at least a little break between peaks, and there haven't been enough of those over the last few months - or even years, really. I really am, on the whole, loving what Mike's doing with the title, but I suspect I'd be enjoying it even more if the pacing was, on occasion, a little less frenetic. More haste, less speed, and all that.

i tend to enjoy it better when theres a normal world happening around john and the trip ups of demons in the mundane world, rather than these cataclysmal episodes where the world is going to hell like in the "Staring At The Wall" run (issues #189-193)

Yep, I like this issue too.

I liked the last several as well and it's so hard to keep your mouth shut when you are privy to certain shit. I for one loved the reveal on the last page. It's one thing to read it in a script, but it's another thing entirely to see it come to life. I dig what Manco did. I wish I could get a gratuitous ass shot on a cover. Call me fucking pig, but I consider myself an assman in arms with Leo. Keep 'em coming mate. No need for any lengthy diatribe about how the male hormone is so shallow.

Nice ass is nice ass, even if it's cartoon ass. There SHOULD be an element of sexuality with certain characters. It's the world we live in. Plus, Gemma certainly doesn't come off as a helpless babe.

She's got brains she does. I hope we see more of her though I'm longing for JC to be solo for a while with some smaller stories.

Finally I'd like to comment on the art in this issue. It's more spare and less illustrated than it has been, especially compared to All His Engines. It's a little different every issue. This time it looks like he inked a lot of the figures with a pigma pen, did a little brushwork for things like hair, and used a lot of simple line work. We still have the grit as Leo uses flecks of black toothbrush looking moves all over the panels (which I like), and dry brush type stuff here and there throughout the issue. But gone are the nice little fingerprinty moves! I'd like to see him go back to All His Engines form but this was definitely solid stuff. And the story telling is always nicely done. Hopefully he can get a break with a one or two off and give us his full arsenal of talent in the coming months.

And that's NOT Kurt Cobain on the cover.

Sheesh.

- TB

I dig what Manco did. I wish I could get a gratuitous ass shot on a cover. Call me fucking pig, but I consider myself an assman in arms with Leo. Keep 'em coming mate. No need for any lengthy diatribe about how the male hormone is so shallow.

Tim,

Someday the story will lend itself to your indulgences ( I would think Chantinelle's return would work nicely). In the meantime, I thought I'd share this covershot that seems to be in similar spirits.daredevil_64%20(Large).jpg :lol:

This wasn't a bad end to this story arc, but couldn't it have been resolved in 3 or 4 issues instead? For a storyline where John's kids were supposed to wreak havoc on his life, alot of nothing happened for too long, if it had been cut down by an issue or 2, it would've been much stronger for it's pacing. Other than that, it was a somewhat enjoyable issue, and it does serve as a good setup for the next storyline.

What a great ending to the arc. Still not sure of Ratboy's motives. Hopefully we'll see the demon JC in Hell there.

Gemma fuckin' cleanin' house. She just earned boatloads of my respek.

As usual, I want the next issue like yesterday.

Dude, Lou read the last 2 pages again.

[ Spoiler : The possesed Rat boy says an I quote. "I lent you my blood and You children with My daughter. Let NERGAL and Constantine go to hell. ]

It's Nergal.

Quick comments:

Best of Ratboy TPB coming soon!

I knew it wasn't Cobain. Just messing around, Tim! :D

I will never complain about too many ass-shots in any comic book, and that D.D. cover with Black Widow.....oh god.....

I will say that Angie looked such a mess this issue! She looked like one of those stereotypical witches you see in movies, brewing her pot, eh?

Quick comments:

Best of Ratboy TPB coming soon!

I knew it wasn't Cobain. Just messing around, Tim! :D

I will never complain about too many ass-shots in any comic book, and that D.D. cover with Black Widow.....oh god.....

I will say that Angie looked such a mess this issue! She looked like one of those stereotypical witches you see in movies, brewing her pot, eh?

WTF? they just pulled her out of a nightmare in her thong & nightie and then started barreling down the highwayy in a demon fueled car

lets see you you'd look in similar circumstances

:glare:

Yes, but she didn't look that way last issue. If she had looked that way in #204, it wouldn't be worth a comment, as your explanation is obvious.

Dude, Lou read the last 2 pages again.

It's Nergal.

I know...I just can't see why he'd be helping John at all.

Nergal did assist john in the original sins. dig that paste job with nergal at the foot of the bed and the tongue

Map - I think Lou wants to know why Nergal would help John after John fucked him over in issue 12.

Zarathrustra - That didn't finish him off, though. Go here to learn more.

Speaking of which, I fucked myself over by reading spoilers about Ratboy's identity, Gemma's smarts and Cheryl's death before I'd even cracked open the issue. Gah!

Still, Gemma kneecapping her boyfriend made me almost fall in love with her - sick, I know - and definitely makes me want to see her take a more prominent role in any upcoming issues. Not sure why she let her boyfriend drive when she'd slipped him drugs, but still.

Tony Masters' transformation is really irritating (he was only in it three years ago!), but for the most part Manco's art was stronger than it's been for a couple of months.

A fairly thin pseudo-resolution, but a step up from the last few months. This feels like a "neccessary evil" plotline designed to set up the six-parter to me, so I'm looking forward to "Cross Purpose" and "Down in the Ground Where the Dead Men Go," which will hopefully provide some kind of resolution to the "Rosa's kids" storyline.

Hmmm, I'm starting to tire of the uber-arc. This next one had better see some level of closure or Im going to get mighty peeved.

Am I the only one not loving Manco's art? I can appreciate the amount of work that goes into it but it's really doing nothing for me.

Zarathrustra - That didn't finish him off, though. Go here to learn more.

That Nergal's one resilient bastard, eh? Looks like he's taken as much punishment as a certain one eyed German military type.

Am I the only one not loving Manco's art? I can appreciate the amount of work that goes into it but it's really doing nothing for me.

No, I'm definitely not a fan. There are some great shots, but overall, it's not good. His bodies don't feel real, to me---they have this limpness to them that reminds me of Gumby figures, loose and wobbly. I think his facial rendition of John is actually pretty good, but his face is a little chunky, and his body is immensely out of proportion from what we've seen before. And that seems to be the case with most of Manco's men, that they look like they all have large builds. If he resolved those issues, I'd really like him, but as it is, it's preventing me from indulging in the art save for the odd panel or so (my icon being one fine example of something I adored).

I'm curious..... why did Gemma follow that punk home anyway after finding what was in his pocket? You think she would have confronted him at the club rather than waiting to go home with him and risk getting "raped and murdered" as she so angrily shouts at John. Kind of stupid to play drunk and see what the guy was up to or was she just looking for a reason to bust his knees?