JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer #205

36 members have voted

1. 1. Hellblazer #205

• 10 (Mange!)
    • 5 (Straff!)
    • 1 (John's fifth cousin twice removed!)

He was, however, a danger to her whilst he was drugged up and driving. Odd thing to do on her part.

Just like her Uncle John.

I personally thought it was a damn fine issue, although I think maybe one of the Constanteenies should have got fucked up as well to add a little more closure.

Anyhoo, I thought I'd start on the theorising.

Nergal- Hasn't there always been a thing about working your way up the old demon rankings? I reckon Nergals trying to climb the ladder again, hence the ratness being the best he could come up with 15 odd years after being royally effed in the a. His motives for helping JC- climbing up higher again so he can fuck him up at the end of the arc- what else could it be?

Hell- Well it's a good place to add closure and give some fanboy love with appearances by

a) Ellie,

b) Demon JC,

c) FotF, and his new bitch, Ghant,

d) Daddy (especially if Gemma comes)

e) All his old friends and people he's fucked over

f) And this is purely in theory- Lucifer, or at least the consequences coming into place as that book reaches the Endgame stages. I think this is justified purely from Staring at the Wall. Tim Hunter makes a cameo, and lo and behold, 6 months later, new series with...Timmy and Constantine, so I reckon those cameo's we bitched about were actually teasers.

Cheryl- He's going to fail I reckon. This might well be Carey's Rake at the Gates. Johnny survives and defeats his foes, but AT WHAT COST!!!!

Anyone else trying to second guess Carey?

Guest spiderlegs

I felt like it was an awfully big build-up to sort of just seque into another arc. I was hoping for a climactic solid ending to that story and not a door to another one. The "uber-arc" isn't that exciting for me, either. I really thought there would be some fucked up shit in this issue, and other than the "peril" in which Gemma wound up,(I never really felt like she was in danger, even when she played possum), and to me, her little involvement with her "cousins" wasn't as frightening as some of the others shown in 202-204. I mean, actual characters were murdered in grisly ways and the climax was a wussy date rapist being manipulated by the older demon son. Obviously, I know why the story was told that way, but I think we got alot of great stuff early on, and it sort of wound down and then...oh, Chas is Nergal. Just my opinion, but I still found the overall story arc to be compelling and entertaining, nonetheless.

She went home with him to break his knee-caps. He was of no danger to her while he was drugged up.

Hmm... I don't know maybe drowning him in the club's toilet would have sufficed :biggrin: But then she would have run into Saul I guess.

hellblazer196097ts.jpg

How come nooine knows Nergal is alive and kicking? Not even his own brother/daughter?

i know, i know - demons in hell don't trust one another, especially if they're related, but still...

I suspect that will be covered in future issues.

Man, Chris Brunner rocked. Hope he can come back to the title soon.

He, Brunner, and Jock all draw so very much alike---but out of those, I was only fond of Bermejo. His Angie was the only one I've really liked so far, everyone else draws her kind of generic.

Bought and read it yesterday, rated it a 7. I thought it was an okay issue, and I feel that I would of liked it better if I knew most of supporting characters given that I'm the new kid when it comes to reading HB.

Art was nice, I loved it, I really like Manco and another great cover from Tim. I'd be nice to see a whole issue or arc drawn by Tim, that'd be awesome.

Art was nice, I loved it, I really like Manco and another great cover from Tim. I'd be nice to see a whole issue or arc drawn by Tim, that'd be awesome.

He did the interiors for #141, "The Crib," by Warren Ellis (collected in the "Setting Sun" trade paperback).

I swear I remember Tim being slated as one of the three artists that was going to work on #200, but that obviously didn't happen, so maybe I'm imagining things.

He was supposed to, but his workload got on top of him. I'd love to see him back on interiors in the future, though.

One thing I did notice about this whole arc is that both Gemma and Angie haven't seen John since he high-tailed it out of Chas' lock up when the world was supposedly ending. Yet when John shows up suddenly in Gemma's life out of the blue she just asks "Where's the fire?" He then explains to her what he's been through. I just kind of found it odd that Gemma and to a lesser extent Angie were so blase about John just popping up when they had no idea where he's been. But then I suppose Gemma is used to that sort of thing from her Uncle John by now.

Guest spiderlegs

Ever since Red Sepulchre, Gemma has grown into the "Constantine Coolness," I've noticed. She doesn't get rattled and plays it very cool, even if she's over her head. I'm wondering if she might get a spinoff, or would she be too "Zattana-esque?" She has been written with more and more of an independent character in the last year, or so. Or maybe Carey is just positioning her with a larger role in HB.

hellblazer196097ts.jpg

How come nooine knows Nergal is alive and kicking? Not even his own brother/daughter?

i know, i know - demons in hell don't trust one another, especially if they're related, but still...

Well, that guy says SWORN brother, so they are just allies. As you've said, demons don't trust one anither.

If Nergal is planning on being a monkeywrench to Rose's plans, he would probably lay low, as he is not his full powered self.

Also, if his sworn brother is part of Rose's court, it would give Nergal a reason not to tell this guy.

It's still kind of throws you with that "keep his memory green" line, but I guess that can be relivent if he knew he was alive, even.

He, Brunner, and Jock all draw so very much alike

Danijel Zezelj draws in a woodcutty style that reminds me of these guys- he did the art for The Corinthian: Death in Venice a couple years back. Creepy little historical tale, that one. Wish it had gone to trade.

Interestingly, I had forgotten that John's great uncle Charles Constantine was one of the primary players of Death in Venice (!) Neato.

Guest spiderlegs

That's what I think. I don't really think it's Nergal. It's either someone else fucking with him, maybe the "mother" of his chirren...I don't know, but bringing Nergal back merely as himself ready to do great harm to our "anti-hero" is not so compelling. We're due another real twist, anyway, considering the wholesale slaughter of John's friends was forwarned,a nd that's what they've endured for the last 2-3 issues.

I sure hope it's a trick.