Who is the best artist?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best artist?

• Tim Bradstreet
    • Marcelo Frusin
    • Leonardo Manco
    • Steve Dillon
    • Sean Phillips

Bradstreet is the best cover artist in the title's history, easily.

Interiors, I gotta go with Dillon. I love his style, but he's clearly very limited when it comes to making his charcters look different from each other, at least face-wise. His run on HB seemed to be the one place he was able to get around that, and his style really lent itself brilliantly to the tone of the series.

Bradstreet is the best cover artist in the title's history, easily.

Interiors, I gotta go with Dillon.  I love his style, but he's clearly very limited when it comes to making his charcters look different from each other, at least face-wise.  His run on HB seemed to be the one place he was able to get around that, and his style really lent itself brilliantly to the tone of the series.

I always feel confused about the length of John's trench coat.Better yet,how did he get it?

The story of John's trenchcoat is an untold tale of John's past. It was said that John would not give up his trenchcoat for ANYTHING.

Of course, I'd assume this is the 4th or 5th trenchcoat John has gotten.

I'll go with Dillon.

I voted for Sean, but I really had to ignore Bradstreet. It's not really fair putting the others up against our illustrious cover artiste. :)

All right,then.What about Dave McKean?

He wasn't one of the long-run artists either, so I wouldn't place him up there. But his interiors weren't that great, IMO, and his covers not that amazing either. HB's not his best work.

And color me Spatchcocked that we already have two votes for Horseface Dillon. :blink:

Dillon's art has always looked a bit... plain to me. And the girls look like guys, which bothers me somewhat. Anyways, it's not really the style I go for, or picture John in.

I'm halfway tempted to vote for Bradstreet because he draws incredibly sexy backs. And backs are hard to draw. That's two covers already that's just John's bare back, and they are both very, very sexy. Do covers count though? Technically, Bradstreet's only illustrated one issue of Hellblazer, I think. The covers are gorgeous, but if we're counting them, I'm going to have to go for Dave McKean because, hell, I think they were pretty.

John Higgins should be on the list too, no?

Personally, I'm torn between Manco and Philliips. Both of their art really appeal to me, and I think they do a good job of representing John. Might have to go with Phillips, even though I love the thing Manco has with using fingerprints to ink John's stubble. Stupid sexy old men.

No, no...."SHOW ME THE MONEY!" :lol:

I voted for Dillon by default. I liked his John. Even though all of his other characters had two faces and most were pretty square.

Manco is doing pretty good, but I want to see more. I cannot believe how far he's come from that scratchy psuedo-Ashley Wood work he did on "Werewolf By Night" (with Jenkins) to his current work!

McKean was awful on interiors in "Hellblazer", even though I worship his as a cover artist.

I don't remember Bradstreet ever doing interior work.

Ol' one expression Frusin was good when he was new, but the more he was around the more two things happened: a.)I noticed that his characters never changed their looks and b.) Frusin got sick of drawing "Hellblazer".

I can't stand Sean Phillips artwork on H.B.! It must be my least favourite! He's not a bad artist at all, I just don't think he had any business on H.B.

If Sean Phillips doesn't win this poll I'll be staking out STH Towers with a fucking big gun.

You have been warned.

Does anyone got a pic of Gary Erskine take on ol' Conjob from #144 or 145? I haven't got that issue.

Rogan will probably end up posting half-the Hellblazer catalog in this thread, but till then here's a page from #145. I really enjoyed this little story and I think it lends weight to the idea that some floated around here of a "Legends Of The Constantine' style title where various creative teams tell one Hellblazer story and then bugger off.

hb145s.jpg

I have high hopes that Leo Manco will end becoming the definitive Hellblazer artist for me, he's already produced some corking pages, but Sean Phillips still has the edge - just about mind! I don't count Tim - he's THE cover artist as far as I'm concerned.

Fucking Jesus, Hunter Thompson killed himself ?

Manco is doing pretty good, but I want to see more. I cannot believe how far he's come from that scratchy psuedo-Ashley Wood work he did on "Werewolf By Night" (with Jenkins) to his current work!

Manco did Werewolf by Night? When?

I don't count Tim - he's THE cover artist as far as I'm concerned.

I voted Tim because he draws the best John in my opinion. But for interior artists, Phillips.

I'll disagree with most of you and say that Dave McKean is the best artist, covers and inside, the book has ever had. Unfortunately one of the issues he had to do was "Golden Boy" which was a load of old psycho-babbling bollocks but regardless McKean is very much the man for me.

Best regular artist? It's a toss up between Sean Phillips' second stint (his first wasn't that clever) or John Ridgeway when he wasn't being inked by Alfredo Alcala.

I was fond of Marcelo Frusin when he brought his "A" game too.

I'm with you for McKean on covers (I like Tim's work, but I could really go for a few more 'abstract' designs some time soon - the photo-realistic 'iconic' shots are still, by and large, excellent - I thought #202 in particular was every bit as good as most people here said it was - but a change would be nice in the not-too-distant future), and Ridgeway was the fucking business. Phillips' earlier efforts were a bit rough for my tastes, but his main run on the title (Campbell-Jenkins era) was absolutely top-drawer, and I'd love to hear someone convincingly argue otherwise.

Early Frusin was the best in my opinion and I have given it quite a bit of thought. I used to hold Sean's work highest but Frusin during Azz's run really grew on me. There is one great Risso pic of JC in that Vertigo 10th Anniversary pic that I would love to put up here but alas, I have no method.

Early Frusin was the best in my opinion and I have given it quite a bit of thought. I used to hold Sean's work highest but Frusin during Azz's run really grew on me. There is one great Risso pic of JC in that Vertigo 10th Anniversary pic that I would love to put up here but alas, I have no method.

I'm torn between Dillon ond Phillips. I can't vote.

That is fucking sweet, but it does rather confirm what I'd always suspected - Risso draws Constantine just like Frusin, only better.

I totally agree. I guess they are constantly looking over each others shoulders in their Argentine studio. I love both of their work and even buy comics just for their art. Wouldn't mind seeing a full Constantine issue by Risso.

Here's the link to the Risso Conjob...

http://www.dccomics.com/features/vertigox/jam.html

Cheers for the link, Timmy. Like the little subsite, and I draw everyone's attention to the yearbook in which it appears that someone else has noticed Marcelo Frusin's T&A fetish:

frusin.jpg

Marcelo Frusin

Most likely to get caught in the girls’ bathroom

Also take a look at a very rock 'n' roll Mike Carey:

carey.jpg

Jenkins/Mano did Werewolf By Night yonks ago - mid nineties I think - brilliant series and I've never forgiven Marvel for cancelling it MID BLOODY FUCKING STORY.

I have a couple of these. Never realised it was Manco. I remember Ghost Rider was in one issue. I'm going to have to dig them up for another look later.