Who is the best artist?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best artist?

• Tim Bradstreet
    • Marcelo Frusin
    • Leonardo Manco
    • Steve Dillon
    • Sean Phillips

Risso and Frusin come from the same schools. Lot's of creepy shadows. The start of Good intentions got me hooked on Frusin, however, i wasn't too excited about Azzarello.

It's a shame that no one mentions Ridgeway and Alcala, who started HB with classic horror styles.

I'd have to say that my least favorite JC depiction is by Enrique Breccia , who did the first story run in the new Swamp Thing.

Risso and Frusin come from the same schools. Lot's of  creepy shadows. The start of Good intentions got me hooked on Frusin, however, i wasn't too excited about  Azzarello.

yeah, that first issue of Good Intentions is a great HB story, with kickass art.

If we're talking covers-No doubt, McKean gets my vote!

I'd probably vote Breccia as my least favourite too!

Keeyah-Yeah, John answered the question about "Werewolf By Night", although I wasn't as fond of it as John. It read very much like early-Jenkins (emphasis on the early), but it was a damn shame that Marvel cancelled it in mid-story. It wasn't a bad book, by any means! There was also the "Man THing" series by DeMatteis going at that time, in a loose knit Marvel sub-title called "Strange Tales"...., and I liked the "Man Thing" series a lot and that got the same treatment as "Werewolf By Night", which pisses me off!

Does anyone else think that pic of Mike Carey looks eerily similar to Peter Milligan?! My best friend in high school is a dead-ringer for Milligan, actually!

Sean Phillips got my vote, but 'early' Frusin was okay. Dillon, ugh, it almost put me off Hellblazer back when I first started buying the series. Fortunately then came Sean Phillips and I rejoiced.

My answer is I like to see a writer and artist team up, form an "era", and then a new team come along. I like to see the different looks, but I want a look to last for a while.

The current artist, Leonardo Mango, I like. He puts a sense of depth into the work that sits well with Carey's writing.

i just reread How to Play With Fire. Warren pleece is among my least favorite artists . i followed the story in deadenders, but month after month I wished Phillip Bond would just do the comic.

Anyway, he isalso among my least favorite JC depictions. but I will add this saving grace: that last page in issue 126 where Chantinelle is giving JC the finger, ending that part with the line, "Get ready to be fucked by a pro" ...i'm sure the tail of Dangerous Habits was in mind when that was written.

MARK:

Phillips' earlier efforts were a bit rough for my tastes, but his main run on the title (Campbell-Jenkins era) was absolutely top-drawer, and I'd love to hear someone convincingly argue otherwise.

Oh, okay. Only 'cos it's you.

Sean, like all artists who rely on photo reference, can only draw what he can photograph. That's an inherent limitation that prevents his Hellblazer work as a whole from ever being "top-drawer". Refer to the swordfight panels near the end of Warped Notions, wherein the climax of the story is undermined because you can't tell what's happening. Or to sundry other moments scattered throughout Sean's HB run, where he slips in a shite panel 'cos he can't get a decent photo to work from. Don't take my word for it, open an issue at random - he seems to manage at least one lame panel per issue. When he's required to draw someone in a state of extremis, it's a toss-up whether his model will be showing a convincing facial expression, or gurning. Not Sean's fault, of course, but the buck stops with him.

It was therefore less than inspired to employ him on Spider-man, the scripts for which certainly played to his weaknesses. :)

Of course I'm pissing into the wind, Mark, since you now merely need to say you're not convinced. :)

Sean is the only comic book artist I've ever sent a gushing fan email to; it was on the strength of his Hellblazer work. Which I still love.

- Jason

No, it's a perfectly fair point - I wasn't taking the piss when I asked for genuine criticisms, 'cos it's always interesting to hear from people whose opinions differ from yer own (as long as they've got something slightly more interesting to say than 'omg u suck'). Phillips' photo-referenced work is generally fine by me, mind - there may well be the occasional duff panel, but at least his characters look a bit more interesting than the numbing, predictable bland competence of Dillon. I like Steve's layouts - he's clearly a very good storyteller - but for atmosphere, mood and expressiveness, give me Phillips any day. I'm especially willing to give him a degree of leeway for the odd stiff pose or awkward facial expression given his 'inking directly onto the page' approach - it gives the art a refreshing directness, which to me at least is worth the risk that sometimes it just won't work.

Guest ben
No, it's a perfectly fair point - I wasn't taking the piss when I asked for genuine criticisms, 'cos it's always interesting to hear from people whose opinions differ from yer own (as long as they've got something slightly more interesting to say than 'omg u suck'). Phillips' photo-referenced work is generally fine by me, mind - there may well be the occasional duff panel, but at least his characters look a bit more interesting than the numbing, predictable bland competence of Dillon. I like Steve's layouts - he's clearly a very good storyteller - but for atmosphere, mood and expressiveness, give me Phillips any day. I'm especially willing to give him a degree of leeway for the odd stiff pose or awkward facial expression given his 'inking directly onto the page' approach - it gives the art a refreshing directness, which to me at least is worth the risk that sometimes it just won't work.

Everybody has left out Glenn Fabry :icon_2gun:

Everybody has left out Glenn Fabry  :icon_2gun:

Meh. He's OK, but was never really a favourite of mine, on HB at least - his painted covers were excellent on Preacher, but weren't generally all that well-suited to Hellblazer in my opinion, and there are a fair few stinkers in there (the god-awful attempt at perspective on the #66 cover, in particular, is just eye-gougingly bad). His pencil-and-ink portrait, which is in the 'Damnation's Flame' trade, is fucking aces, though.

I remember Ghost Rider was in one issue.

That was near the end, yeah.

If memory serves there were six issues of Werewolf By Night, then it was folded into a book called Strange Tales with Man Thing. This ran for another two or three issues at which point it was killed.

There's this fucking gorgeous splash page in the last issue of a Special Ops team in the sewars, with their laser sites sweeping all over the place.

Here's the last page from #200, a great one from Manco -

hb200s.jpg

For me, it's:

1) Sean Phillips

2) Marcelo Fruisin (if he had sustained the goodness with which his early and middle run was comprised, he would easily be my #1---but I agree with everyone, that in the end it all fell apart like a train wreck)

3) Leonardo Manco

But if I thought it was fair to place Bradstreet on the list, it would be him first, and then Phillips and Fruisin in the #'s 2 and 3 spots.

John, can you scan in this SWAT Team picture that you've been going on about for the last eight months?

And the writing on that last page of issue 200 is beautiful. Can't wait to read Carey's Castor novels.

I think we all would do with a Carey issue with Tim Bradstreet on interior art before his run is up. It's shame it might not happen.

I thought Tim is all up for it, and won't leave the title before treating us with another full issue, written to suit his style...?

well, i think he said he's game, but doens't have the time for it NOW, but that it will happen, n the year(s) to come.

the less said of him, the better, unless there is a Batman/Scarecrow miniseries in the works...