Who is the best artist?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best artist?

• Tim Bradstreet
    • Marcelo Frusin
    • Leonardo Manco
    • Steve Dillon
    • Sean Phillips

Simpson's stuff was great once he finally dropped the million and one inkers who'd worked on Dangerous Habits and started doing his own stuff. Check out the issues in my signature for proof.

DEMON CHAS08:

It's time for me to judge whether or not Steve Dillon's art is good or not. Show me the best of Dillon.

I don't think that's gonna work. By and large, Steve doesn't do knockout panels. The strength of his work lies in his mastery of storytelling, composition, and facial expression. How d'you adequately demonstrate those subtle qualities by sampling single panels or single pages? It's more of a cumulative effect over the course of an issue.

- Jason

Re :  james on Will Simpson-

it's still a bit... well - bad.

Absolute twaddle. You're clearly a cretin. ;)

Simpson isn't my favourite artist by a long shot, but he did some nice stuff on HB - as James said, though, the early parts of his run were marred by some woefully inconsistent inking. The issues in James' sig are definitely the high point of his tenure, for me, at least.

JasonT's pretty much right about Dillon - viewing the odd panel or two won't really give a good impression of his art. I'm not a fan, but his layouts and overall storytelling verve are clearly excellent, in a way which is hard to discern from just the odd page here and there.

Check out the 'Fear & Loathing' trade (which collects issues #62-67) for some of my favourite Dillon HB (if someone could post the good old "Uncle John" page again, that'd be great).

Guest spiderlegs

Bradstreet

Manco

Fabry

Dillon

I'm surprised Sean Phillips is so far ahead. I really didn't care for his work. It always seemed hurried and sort of sloppy, I don't know. I don't hate his work at all, it's just that I don't put him as high.

I associate Tim's Constantine as the actual JC--what he really looks like. Manco has come from guest artist to being one of my all-time faves on the title. May both of these premiere VERTIGO artists be fruitful and free of film tie-ins in a long and memorable career!

DEMON CHAS08:

It's time for me to judge whether or not Steve Dillon's art is good or not. Show me the best of Dillon.

I don't think that's gonna work. By and large, Steve doesn't do knockout panels. The strength of his work lies in his mastery of storytelling, composition, and facial expression. How d'you adequately demonstrate those subtle qualities by sampling single panels or single pages? It's more of a cumulative effect over the course of an issue.

- Jason

But it's still good. I just wanna see the pics.

Re :  james on Will Simpson-

it's still a bit... well - bad.

Absolute twaddle. You're clearly a cretin. ;)

Simpson isn't my favourite artist by a long shot, but he did some nice stuff on HB - as James said, though, the early parts of his run were marred by some woefully inconsistent inking. The issues in James' sig are definitely the high point of his tenure, for me, at least.

okay, then - let me see you compile a list of ALL HB artists, in descending order of quality.

I'm not a big fan of formal 'lists' - barring the occasional standout 'favourite' and 'least favourite' candidate, the precise details of who comes where in the rankings are pretty pointless. But I'll give it a go, if you really insist... if someone could remind me of all the artists, because I can't remember all of them right now.

well, you all made lists of your fave WRITERS in the escending order, just in the thread next door!

I didn't. I agreed with most of Toms, and added some qualifications.

Besides, an approximate ranking of 6 writers is somewhat different from putting the god-only-knows-how-many artists who've ever worked on HB into any kind of meaningful order. I could knock together a top five or so, if I really thought about it...

not good enough! :p

i think John should make some sort of a artists/writers section on the site, with all their names and samples of their work...

Bradstreet

Manco

Fabry

Dillon

I'm surprised Sean Phillips is so far ahead. I really didn't care for his work. It always seemed hurried and sort of sloppy, I don't know. I don't hate his work at all, it's just that I don't put him as high.

I associate Tim's Constantine as the actual JC--what he really looks like. Manco has come from guest artist to being one of my all-time faves on the title. May both of these premiere VERTIGO artists be fruitful and free of film tie-ins in a long and memorable career!

I voted for Phillips because the question was "who drew the best john". > I agree that some of his stuff looks rushed, but when he took his time, i can see that i just like the features of his john better than the others. Sean Phillips shows his love on the covers and sporadically in the pages.

of course, Bradstreet is brilliant and I love him, but that would be a no brainer. the early Azzarello/Frusin stuff matched the wickedness of Azzarellos writing

schb151.gif

I can see silimarities between his work and Eduardo Risso, which I suppose is one rteason he was chosen to work with Azz

John Higgins tended to make everyone especially ugly.

DEMON CHAS08:

- Jason

Here, here. Well said Jason.

- T

Here's the link to the Risso Conjob...

http://www.dccomics.com/features/vertigox/jam.html

Some quintessential Frusin...

Frusin%20HB%20143%20Pg%2003.jpg

Frusin%20HB%20143%20Pg%2013.jpg

When Frusin was on top of his game he really was masterful.

These pages are like floating on a cloud of breasts.

Frusin on top of his game get's my vote.

- TB

I was stuck between Manco and Bradstreet. I like Phillip's artwork but sometimes the expressions on his characters look... contorted I guess is the word. I second the opinion that Bradstreet draws delicious backs and his John also doesn't look like he's fifty but ultimately my vote for Manco was based on taste. Manco John has a narrowed look that I fancy.

Returning the well-said to Tim: yeah, Marcelo's masterful. That light & shade, that storytelling, that atmosphere. His early stuff on Hellblazer just blows me away. Oddly enough I don't think it's suited to the title - it's too clean and slick, and I preferred his later scratchy inking style for HB. But either way, he's a genius.

He had an irritating tendency to make John look like a gurning cartoon Joker, but in hindsight it's a small price to pay for the first panel of issue 155, or indeed any Frusin landscape shot.

If you go back through the title's history, there haven't been that many great artists on't. I don't care to denigrate anyone's hard work, but many of the earlier illustrators have, um, problems with storytelling and consistency. Jamie Delano's style of writing, in particular, really needs an artist who can clearly indicate what's going on, and the poor bloke so often drew the short straw vis-a-vis illustrators. That's the 80s for you, I s'pose.

Ridgeway, Dillon, Phillips, Frusin, Manco: we've been lucky.

- Jason