59 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best artist?

• Tim Bradstreet
    • Marcelo Frusin
    • Leonardo Manco
    • Steve Dillon
    • Sean Phillips

oh, please, god NO!

Simpson, Higgins - it would seem that i'm taste-impaired, since i hate their work on HB...

What's next? Warren Pleece fan club?

I'd have to put John Ridgway and Ron Tiner ahead of most of those, I also think Richard Piers Rayner did some good work and was technically the best at drawing characters, although his panels often looked really stilted and posed.

Don't like Higgins' stuff at all, and Frusin's work, although okay, doesn't fit the tone of the books at all.

I think Richard Corben wins the prize for doing the worst HB art. I actually really like his pictures but they don't work at all for this title. Way too cartoony.

Out of those listed, I'd have to go for Dillon.

i resisted the temptation, Xchan...

Richard Piers Rayner was really good, and would look great without the coloring...

Further to this subject, can anyone think of artists they'd like to see illustrate Hellblazer?

I'm a big Katsuhiro Otomo fan so I'd love to see him do some stuff, as long as he could keep the more cartoony, wide-eyed elements at bay. As far as technical stuff like buildings and vehicles, he's unsurpassed.

Whoever was/is handling the art chores on most of Bendis' Daredevil run.

Or Dave Gibbons.

Just as long as it's someone who doesn't go overboard on the detail. I like HB's art to do more with less.

Further to this subject, can anyone think of artists they'd like to see illustrate Hellblazer?

Check out this thread, we're taking a vote... go straight down to my third post and choose your top five artists.

here is Mr. Warren "Break My Fingers So I Can't Draw Shit Again" Pleece (pronounced "pleeeease")

hellblazer124p151vs.jpg

This is a very tough poll.

wolf is quite right though, it's not fair to put up TB.

I'm torn between Manco and Philips, but i just voted Manco - his drawings are too great for my taste, very modern and dogma in my eyes. Him as the current artist also has a bearing for my decision, i really loved the past issues - He's a bit of a salvation to HB. Plus of course - the destined to be classic All His Engines art is his creation - his drawings are like cover quality every page. :) I kinda risked Mark's threat :(

Philips is surely a classic, his drawings improves every issue - the mid Delano runs are great Sean Philips art. Sean surely is ahead of his time, an art like that for a monthly during the 80's is bloddy ace.

Fruisin is ace, his style is quite unique and HB fits that style - Good Intentions Ahoy :) Dillon is also a classic, just like Sean. Dillon as one of the early artist and drawn a lot of HB issues must have earned something, though his art isnt' my taste. I leaned towards Manco instead of Fruisin and Dillon for the wrong reasons maybe, coz it's due to issue #200 - he kinda proves he has an edge over the two, well as far as my personal eyes is concern. :)

P.S. I agree with other's comments that Risso, Ridgeway and Higgins should also be included since the likes of Fruisin is in the poll. :)

HB Special artist David Lloyd anyone? (im biased, just read the Horrorist last night)

I'd agree with you on Lloyd. His monochrome work on Hellblazer is even better - check out the "Hellblazer: Rare Cuts" TPB for proof.

Do you agree that Frusin actually got a little worse as time went by? Compare his art in that Warren Ellis story with his work on Mike Carey's Staring at the Wall...

David Lloyd did some of my favourite HB art, both in The Horrorist and on the main title. His influence on the style (particularly the texturing and muted colouring) of Manco's recent work is, for me, one of the most gratifying things about the current art team.

David Lloyd did some of my favourite HB art, both in The Horrorist and on the main title. His influence on the style (particularly the texturing and muted colouring) of Manco's recent work is, for me, one of the most gratifying things about the current art team.

What issues did Lloyd draw in the monthly? Quite excited to find and read it, i admire his style. :)

#25-26, written by Grant Morrison, and #56, by Ennis. The latter story is one of my favourite Ennis issues, and the Morrison 2-parter is aces. Both are collected in the 'Rare Cuts' trade, and are well worth reading.