Who is the best artist?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best artist?

• Tim Bradstreet
    • Marcelo Frusin
    • Leonardo Manco
    • Steve Dillon
    • Sean Phillips

#25-26, written by Grant Morrison, and #56, by Ennis. The latter story is one of my favourite Ennis issues, and the Morrison 2-parter is aces. Both are collected in the 'Rare Cuts' trade, and are well worth reading.

Great. cheers.

Frusin's earlier stuff was, indeed, marvellous.

Mind you, I wouldn't go so far as to claim 'The Crib' was a serious contender for best HB interiors ever...far, far from it, in my view. I love Bradstreet's covers, but this issue felt flat to me, and if I recall correctly, Tim wasn't happy with it either. I'd like to see him get the chance to do another issue at some point, and I do enjoy his covers enormously, but thus far, he remains an excellent cover artist whose skills at sequential storytelling are as yet unproven.

he was quite good and gnarly... had the texture and grotesque that remind me of Fabry's covers...

I do.

Should i put it up?

Also - Gaiman only did a single issue of HB, but he managed to nail John's humanism down to a t. Can you imagine Azzarello's Conjob hugging a dead hobo ghost to ease his pain and give him some voluntary human warmth it needed to pass on to the other side?

yeah....that was crazy...i still dont really understand murnars motivation and how he got to be hanging around that wiggy dude.

Tim Bradstreet's covers are much better than the Ellis story he did. As far as all the artists who've ever illustrated an issue of HB, I'd say that McKean's HOLD ME (w. by Gaiman) is the best by far.

Yeah, that was a bitch. Personally it's always been a negative for me as an artist. I was working on this story when I got a call one day from then editor Axel Alonso. The issue that was supposed to come out 2 issues before mine was being cancelled (Shoot) and they needed me to step up my efforts since I was furthest along. I had to make an artistic compromise to hit the new deadline. The only way I could do it was by scanning all of my pencils into the computer, darken them all to black, and then print them out on the DC boards. Basically I was only blacking in the linework reproduced from my pencils. In those days I did not have access to a good printer and the result was a very rough version of what I aimed at doing. It's muddy and unrefined. There are only a few panels in the book that I did full pencils and inks for. It could have been so much better, but alas . . . .

In the end I sacrificed my contribution for the good of the book and DC's schedule. I am proud of that.

McKean's "Hold Me" is my favorite single issue of art as well. Dave's a genius.

- TB

'Hold Me' is stunning, definitely. I'm also very fond of McKean's work in #40, but the story for #27 is stronger, to my tastes, so it's a more satisfying experience all-round. If not my favourite single issue of art, it's definitely a contender...

It's a shame you didn't get to finish your issue off to a standard you were happier with, Tim, but I'm sure you'll get another shot at the title before too long. With all due respect (I'm very fond of your covers for the title), I can see what you mean about 'The Crib' - despite some good work, the panels just don't seem to leap off the page as clearly as they should on the whole, and it must be frustrating for you as an artist. Still, given the circumstances, congratulations are in order for keeping the book on schedule - it's good to see an artist sublimate his own ego/perfectionism for the overall good of the title. I'm looking forward to seeing your next shot at the interior art, certainly - you've got no more idea than we have regarding when the opportunity might present itself, have you?

A Mike Carey/Tim Bradstreet OGN would be great, but would probably take too much time to put together.

maybe a double-sized one-shot?! Or at least 32 pages of goodyness...?

And Tim - i think more artists oughta be like you. I'd rather see Planetary and such titles more regularly, than having them wait for the artist to fulfill his vision.