Who is the best artist?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best artist?

• Tim Bradstreet
    • Marcelo Frusin
    • Leonardo Manco
    • Steve Dillon
    • Sean Phillips

You might want to change that bmp into a jpeg or gif - bitmaps are too big for the internet, and don't load in some browsers.

Personally, and I've only read half of the Delano run and Ellis' Haunted, Ron Tiner gets my vote. However, I agree with Mark that McKean's work in Hold Me was indeed stunning (to couple with Gaiman's amazing story).

That being said, no one can compare to the magic that are Tim Bradstreet's covers. He's the greatest cover artist of all-time (at least in my eyes) for a reason.

Sean Phillips' is the John in my head.

Wait. That sounds vaguely disturbing...

;-)

I also really like some of the guest artists, but I keep forgetting their names...

I'll put up pics of Ron Tiner and Fear And Loathing a bit later in the evening...

any more requests?

Those are bloody beautiful, where is that from? what issue? writer?

They are from issue 86, Eddie Campbell's the writer and the art is done by Sean Phillips.

If only they would collect the issues from his (looooong...) run in TPB form... :glare:

Well...there were only 4 Campbell issues, which wouldn't make for much of a trade (OK, so there was Setting Sun, but personally I wish they'd at least included Darko Macan's 2-parter in there, because at 4 issues, it felt a bit thin, even for a reduced price). Anyway, neither Eddie Campbell nor I (clearly the only two authorities on this particular subject which matter ;)) thought his story was very good - there are plenty of other unpublished stories which I'd rather see traded (Paul Jenkins come in please...your time is up).

Those are bloody beautiful, where is that from? what issue? writer?

They are from issue 86, Eddie Campbell's the writer and the art is done by Sean Phillips.

If only they would collect the issues from his (looooong...) run in TPB form... :glare:

I think Phillips' work is the gold standard of John Constantine portrayal. That's not to take away from Tim Bradstreet who I think does the best covers Hellblazer has had.

I voted Manco, he's the only one I am really familiar with. Just read Dangerous habits, and it was soo....inconsistant! One moment John would look fantastic, the next..just crap!

Also, dunno if anyone has noticed ;) but Demon Chas08 you must have posted like 90% of your 42 posts in here asking for examples of art ;) hehehe :D

I voted Sean Phillips with the rest of you. I'm not much of a Frusin or Dillon fan, mostly because I like to be able to tell people apart. Sean Phillips draws people who look like people. And I love the pulpy kind of covers from that run.

I voted Manco, he's the only one I am really familiar with. Just read Dangerous habits, and it was soo....inconsistant! One moment John would look fantastic, the next..just crap!

Also, dunno if anyone has noticed ;) but Demon Chas08 you must have posted like 90% of your 42 posts in here asking for examples of art ;) hehehe :D

Ouch!1 :closedeyes:

Ouch!1 :closedeyes:

Nah hehe its all good :D I'm just playin mate! *friendly hug*

I just read high on life last night. Dillons art was great, but it never (in those 2 issues) really struck me as being outstanding. The panels were...pretty standard, nothign too adventageous or daring in it. But he drew a damn fine constantine. And when I say damn fine...Anyone else think his constantine with a beard is Hot :D :D? haha...

Just grtting ontot he start of frusins, so will reserve judgement for now, but already I see panels that are a bit more creative!

If by "the start of Frusin's" you mean the start of his work with Mike Carey, be warned that, on the whole, that's far from his best work. While Azzarello's run is viewed pretty sceptically around these parts (not without reason, although I still like a few parts of his run a lot more than most people here seem to), Frusin's work with him was, on the whole, in a different league to the work he put in for the latter half of his tenure as series artist. Shame, really.

He also drew a single issue for Warren Ellis ('Telling Tales', in the Setting Sun trade) which is one of the best-illustrated issues of HB I can think of.

Similarly, Dillon's best-regarded HB work was generally done with Garth Ennis - 'High On Life' and his contribution to #200 didn't really overwhelm me. I'm not a huge Dillon fan at the best of times, but at the very least his story-telling is superbly crisp and clear. Check out the Fear & Loathing and Tainted Love trades for what I think is probably Dillon's best work on the title.

Now that I've a better grip on the artists of Hellblazer, I'd probably say Manco is my favourite interior artist. His work on All His Englines never ceases to give me multiple orgasms. However, I'm also a fan of Frank Teran and the one issue he did (Locked). Every character looked great, except for maybe John himself, who looked a little too gaunt and sickly. I still think the issue was wonderfully-illustrated, however.

Although I'm still trying to piece Jenkins' run together I'm now caught between Manco and Phillips. The only cons I have with both artists are the same. I also would have liked to see Paul Lee do some Hellblazer besides his work on BoM.

If by "the start of Frusin's" you mean the start of his work with Mike Carey, be warned that, on the whole, that's far from his best work.

Similarly, Dillon's best-regarded HB work was generally done with Garth Ennis - 'High On Life'

Oh but I like the Carey/Frusin stuff! I just read the 4-part 'Red Sepulchre" and the only thing that was a bit amiss I thought was that John looked a little strange in some of the drawings. Otherwise fantastic!

Hmm? 'High on Life' is Carey isnt it? I just read it, and it was Carey and Dillon #175 and 176. Or is there another high on life? But I more or less agree, it does it's job, but doesnt seem to go further than just standard.

Frusin starts well with 'Red Sepulchre', but by the end of his run with Carey, his work became frustratingly inconsistent, and he seemed to adopt a new style which didn't really convince me (scarecrow people a-go-go!). Still, some people liked it, so you never know...it might work for you.

I made my vote for Phillips, but I think once he gets a sizable run under his belt, Leo Manco will be a front-runner for best artist. I've loved his work since HELLSTORM, and his WEREWOLF BY NIGHT was excellent.

And just to prove my love for the man's work, I give you one of the best Ghost Rider interpretations of all time.

historyimage24.jpg