Who is the best artist?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best artist?

• Tim Bradstreet
    • Marcelo Frusin
    • Leonardo Manco
    • Steve Dillon
    • Sean Phillips

Would like to see some actually published art from Phil jimenez.

That sounds obvious, but i'd like to see his Constantine range.

Bradsheet's John is definitive for me

But Sean's john acted and moved, and his panels were brill

Piers rayner (mispelt) but he rocked HB#6

Well having read #180ish to #196 there were definitely some ups and downs, some of the guest artists I thought did very well! But I think manco still stood above the rest!

someone mentioned Dave Gibbons way back, but his images of john in an amorphous vertigo come togerther of sorts and sold for money publication,

blew goats.

Fuck so did his writing

Finally got my hands on some Dillon (his first work on Hellblazer with Ennis, though). I may be stoned to death for saying this, but I think I liked Simpson's artwork a little better. That said, Dillon's storytelling is phenomenal, and he draws a pretty definitive John and I like his Gabriel. I just think Simpson had a bit more life in his artwork.

My vote goes to Marcelo Frusin. He uses this wide setting, almost cinematographic visual style with so much shadow, which fits Hellblazer so much. I like his scene formatting as well. Recently he uses very few closeups and a lot of interesting wides. Sorry for the film language but it's the only way I know how to describe comic drawing.

I didn't like the coloring of Dangerous Habits TPB... which is who? Simpson?

I don't think Ive seen Sean phillips. Unless he did the Haunted TPB... I thought that was amazing.

Steve Dillon is great throughout Preacher, and Hellblazer as well, especially the package deal, his drawing with Garth Ennis writing and Glenn Fabrys covers made for good comics, but on it's own I fins I like the shadowy look of Frusin better. But one of Frusin's downsides is that I find it a bit hard to distinguish one women from another.

But I don't have even half of the issues, I didnt start collecting until issue 185... and even now I have only .... Dangerous Habits,,, Haunted, Freezes Over, Good Intentions, Red Sepulchre, and issues 1-3 59 - 70

It's the only comic I read regularly. And I wish I knew all about it. Which is why I'll frequent that Q&A post...

IMO

Sean Phillips actually painted the cover image you're using as an avatar. But other than that, you don't have any of his work there, no. Simpson was indeed the Dangerous Habits artist (it was coloured by Tom Ziuko, though), and Haunted was illustrated by John Higgins.

Welcome to the boards!

Sorry for the film language but it's the only way I know how to describe comic drawing.

Dont be having returned to comics, because of film storyboarding myself, they are however extremely different mediums.

I still imagine an issue as a movie, which is defeating the point somewhere im sure.

Anyway Marcello Frusin = over stylised operetic MTV birthing Sergio Leone

and Sean Phillips = Mike leigh and/or John Cassavettes.

Someone give me early "Manhunter" period Micheal Mann

i like leonardo mancos work the most, because of the use of colours, shadows and because its detailed and professional, frame to frame. after him will simpson cuz i like his use of lines, but sometimes he dont cares too much about making perfect work. steve dillon is also okay, but he draws mostly every person in it the same way. the worst for me is richard corben, the people look like puppets or something.

marcelo frusin seems also okay, but i just saw few pics and its a maybe bit too comiclike for me.

Unfortunately I havent seen Sean Phillips work. Frusin does it for me though. He seems to sometimes get lazy, and just silhouette everything but it still works, and he is the master of the John's mouth close up. A cigarette, a dark smirk, and it says enough.

Leonardo Manco seems in my opinion a step down from Frusin because it looks messy to me, less smooth. Whatever i mean by that...

Sean Phillips must be pretty good if I picked out this avatar from all of them without knowing.

I would also like to add, that I am not exactly a new member but thanks for the welocme. Just been a long time gone. Long time.

I saw AngelHeart because of this site, and I must say, other than de Niro as Satan...the movie is great. Naked was good too.

Tim Bradstreet's covers are much better than the Ellis story he did. As far as all the artists who've ever illustrated an issue of HB, I'd say that McKean's HOLD ME (w. by Gaiman) is the best by far.

Yeah, that was a bitch. Personally it's always been a negative for me as an artist. I was working on this story when I got a call one day from then editor Axel Alonso. The issue that was supposed to come out 2 issues before mine was being cancelled (Shoot) and they needed me to step up my efforts since I was furthest along. I had to make an artistic compromise to hit the new deadline. The only way I could do it was by scanning all of my pencils into the computer, darken them all to black, and then print them out on the DC boards. Basically I was only blacking in the linework reproduced from my pencils. In those days I did not have access to a good printer and the result was a very rough version of what I aimed at doing. It's muddy and unrefined. There are only a few panels in the book that I did full pencils and inks for. It could have been so much better, but alas . . . .

In the end I sacrificed my contribution for the good of the book and DC's schedule. I am proud of that.

McKean's "Hold Me" is my favorite single issue of art as well. Dave's a genius.

- TB

I still think your art on "The Crib" looks rather good though. :biggrin:

and yeah, "Hold Me" is probably my favourite single issue as well.

Urghhh! Worst idea I ever read!

Favorite recent artist :

1/ Doug Alexander Gregory

2/ Chris Brunner

3/ Jock

Also liked a lot Bermejo and Frusin's issues (even his later ones, the ones refered as Scarecrow-ish)

I absolutely hate Manco on Hellblazer : he does the obvious almost vulgar version you'd expect from him. Almost a self parody. :icon_cry:

I'd really like to see Danijel Zezelj on for an arc or two. Also, John Watkiss or George Pratt would be great.

Of the old, my favorite would be

1/ Dave McKean

2/ Chris Bachalo

3/ John Ridgeway

Peter Snejbjerg's issue was one of the best visualy, so I thouhg, very scary and close to the core of Constantine. Loved Sean Phillips' issue with John Smith. His latter stuff was good, but not as good in my opinion...

I absolutely hate Manco on Hellblazer : he does the obvious almost vulgar version you'd expect from him. Almost a self parody. :icon_cry:

how do you mean that? his arts are professionally drawn and beautifully colored, detailed. every frame is perfect. and what do you mean with "vulgarity"?

i think hellblazer always had some vulgarity, i dont know if it would be the same without it, altough i dont understand your post completely...

how do you mean that? his arts are professionally drawn and beautifully colored, detailed. every frame is perfect. and what do you mean with "vulgarity"?

i think hellblazer always had some vulgarity, i dont know if it would be the same without it, altough i dont understand your post completely...

Yeah... Well, maybe I don't use the term vulgarity in the right mean (am not english...) Sorry for that. I meant that the artistic choise Manco did seemed to me the most predictable, therefore lazy and blah blah blah blah blah for him... You get the meaning I hope. No doubt his WbN was alright if not good. Also, I noticed there's stuff he's good at drawing some not. What I consider as a good artist would be one that would actually play on his weaknesses (ex : Chris Bachalo, Jorge Zaffino, Brendan McCarthy...) instead of trying to do it all.

I don't think Jimenez the same way you do at all. I lost interest in the Invisibles because of him. Firstly, even if very professionnal (too?) and clean, I hate George Perez' art. As Jimenez comes from that school, I compare him to it and find it as inconsequent as Darrick Robertson : The charchters rarely look the same from panel to panel, even on the same page (most obvious case was in his New X-Men), he never seems to make a choice between having lotsa details or being sketchy, and the colors, I just hate! I don't find a personnal artistic choice in there...

That's my take, no problem if you don't agree. If you're a fan of his, please don't take it as an insult, just my opinion. And please don't try to make me change miy opinion on that, I won't.

Yeah... Well, maybe I don't use the term vulgarity in the right mean (am not english...) Sorry for that. I meant that the artistic choise Manco did seemed to me the most predictable, therefore lazy and blah blah blah blah blah for him... You get the meaning I hope. No doubt his WbN was alright if not good. Also, I noticed there's stuff he's good at drawing some not. What I consider as a good artist would be one that would actually play on his weaknesses (ex : Chris Bachalo, Jorge Zaffino, Brendan McCarthy...) instead of trying to do it all.

I don't think Jimenez the same way you do at all. I lost interest in the Invisibles because of him. Firstly, even if very professionnal (too?) and clean, I hate George Perez' art. As Jimenez comes from that school, I compare him to it and find it as inconsequent as Darrick Robertson : The charchters rarely look the same from panel to panel, even on the same page (most obvious case was in his New X-Men), he never seems to make a choice between having lotsa details or being sketchy, and the colors, I just hate! I don't find a personnal artistic choice in there...

That's my take, no problem if you don't agree. If you're a fan of his, please don't take it as an insult, just my opinion. And please don't try to make me change miy opinion on that, I won't.

im not trying to change your op, i just didnt understand you, like now :)

i also cant nothing do against my impression to manco, i just find it beautiful. i dont care about its prediction, i just rate how careful it is.

nevermind :)

Yeah... Well, maybe I don't use the term vulgarity in the right mean (am not english...) Sorry for that. I meant that the artistic choise Manco did seemed to me the most predictable, therefore lazy and blah blah blah blah blah for him... You get the meaning I hope.

I think all that applies more to Marcelo Frusin.

No doubt his WbN was alright if not good.

Pardon me for being dense, but what is WbN?

Also, I noticed there's stuff he's good at drawing some not. What I consider as a good artist would be one that would actually play on his weaknesses (ex : Chris Bachalo, Jorge Zaffino, Brendan McCarthy...) instead of trying to do it all.

I'm not the biggest fan of Leo's John Constantine, but you can tell that he's trying hard to do well, and I'll give anyone a break for that. By contrast, Frusin seemed to playfully decide that John would have that demonic facial look, and we were stuck with it for most/all of his run.

I also will give a break to an otherwise good artist who is willing to step out and do something that s/he isn't good at. It's the only way to improve. Also, I respect artists who are willing to put themselves on the line by trying something new or avant garde, like Manco's use of fingerprints for diesel smoke and beard stubble in a couple of issues.

No doubt his WbN was alright if not good.

Pardon me for being dense, but what is WbN?

Also, I noticed there's stuff he's good at drawing some not. What I consider as a good artist would be one that would actually play on his weaknesses (ex : Chris Bachalo, Jorge Zaffino, Brendan McCarthy...) instead of trying to do it all.

I'm not the biggest fan of Leo's John Constantine, but you can tell that he's trying hard to do well, and I'll give anyone a break for that. By contrast, Frusin seemed to playfully decide that John would have that demonic facial look, and we were stuck with it for most/all of his run.

I also will give a break to an otherwise good artist who is willing to step out and do something that s/he isn't good at. It's the only way to improve. Also, I respect artists who are willing to put themselves on the line by trying something new or avant garde, like Manco's use of fingerprints for diesel smoke and beard stubble in a couple of issues.

WbN = Werewolf by Night.

The fingerprints and stuff, he's done it over and over! Nothing avant garde in it!

Hmmm. Obviously you don't( esteem Frusin a lot. Actually, his "demonic" face worked quite well, I thought, in contrast when he actually was surprised or scared of something. Real interesting comparred to the no expression face courtesy of M.Manco. Work to improve, who wouldn't think it's good?! Then, accepting a work load knowing you're not quite at the top of your game for that specific assignement, I find it just oportunistic.