Sign in to follow this  
Demon Chas08

Constantine S01E11 "A Whole World Out There"

Synopsis from Seriable:

"A WHOLE WORLD OUT THERE"

01/30/2015 (08:00PM – 09:00PM) (Friday) : AN EXPERIMENT GOES HORRIBLY WRONG WHEN A GROUP OF STUDENTS TEST A DISTURBING THEORY — JEREMY DAVIES AND WILLIAM MAPOTHER GUEST STAR

Manny (Harold Perrineau) sends John to help an old friend, Ritchie Simpson (guest star Jeremy Davies), at Ivy University where a group of students have a found a way into an alternate dimension only to be met by a maniacal killer (guest star William Mapother).

Poll names in order

1. Ritche Crawford (Winslow)

2. Rich Brenner

3. Richie Rich

4. Rick Rolled

5. Ritchie Cunningham

6. Richard Nixon

7. Richard Wentworth

8. Richard Richard

9. Richard Henry Benson

10. Ritchie Simpson, As I Live And Breathe!

You're welcome, lads :hattip:

That was ace. The TV Richie is superior to the comic version. I loved every bit of this episode. Excellent acting by the guest cast especially the guy who played Shaw, so creepy.

Agreed on the performances of the main guests and the bit parts were more convincing in their small doses than many similar horror film ensembles.

I felt this episode was one of the stronger ones for the TV people, but also had some elegant moments of Hellblazer redux. Jeremy Davies's paranoid but charming Ritchie was so well played. The villain of the piece was a human - albeit a supernatural but nicely polished Freddy Krueger with no unnecessary demon trappings.

And I liked how John reacted to Ritchie's apparent choice to stay in the Dream of CGI.

Also ticked the following important boxes:

No map.No magical bag of Poppins.

Chas and Zed busy elsewhere.

Really solid episode.

The episode felt very Lovecraftian.

Nice little mention of Ritchie's comic story with the consciousness was transferred into a computer. Ritchie saying he and John were Cancer was a neat nod to the comics as well.

I liked the Bradstreet Hall easter egg.

Happy to see John not reliant on magical artefacts for a change.

Happy to see John pickpocketing campus cops, smoking cigs and boozing.

I hope we get to see a flashback of the Newcastle Crew altogether one day.

Harold Perrineau, Jeremy Davies, AND William Mapother. Casting director must really love Lost.

This one was nice.

It really had a hellblazer feel to it. John didn't use any items, it wasn't a demon at work but a human with supernatural qualities, and RItchie got more character in this show then the comics. The CGI was pretty meh but hey, it was better then SPN's cgi so that's good.

By the way, anyone feel like this episode should've come out after the "Hunger Demon" and Gary's death episode?

i bet the special fx might have pushed this episode back some on the schedule but it did feel like it belonged after the hunger demon episode.

i was worried it might drift into slasher movie territory, which it did do, complete with teenage victims, but it transcended that genre with the Hellblazerish additions. The end fx were nice, too.

Jacob Shaw's journal.

tumblr_nj2hqojFgY1s0u7vwo6_540.jpg

tumblr_nj2hqojFgY1s0u7vwo5_540.jpg

tumblr_nj2hqojFgY1s0u7vwo4_400.jpg

tumblr_nj2hqojFgY1s0u7vwo2_540.jpg

• Upvote 2

I don't think the CGI would have been that demanding.

Compared with Angel wings and invunches in sewers.

It was just two guys stood in a lovely field while a house collapsed.

loved it. loved LOVED ritchie, was a little sad at the end, because i was sure that that was it for him. nice nod to the story where he would have been killed off, but transcendet nicely into modern times (meaning without that thron vibe). the story had a very good grip on vertigo magic at it's finest. it is one of those kinds of pastiche-collages where the atomic parts were, when viewed seperatly, just meh, but as a whole piece it was done really really well. they did for once not overexplain everything, didn't use stupid artifacts or demons/ ghosts and so on. it was just a psycho with a god complex. and it was the konstantyn pulling the strings of his peers.

second best episode after feast for friends.

one scene i did not quite get. before john and ritchie go in, manny shows up and john tells him he is not needed. he looked very judgemental of what they were doing (or was it just because of ritchies blasphemous comment?) - why was manny there in the first place? as in: why did he decide to show up and why did the writeter put him there?

loved it. loved LOVED ritchie, was a little sad at the end, because i was sure that that was it for him. nice nod to the story where he would have been killed off, but transcendet nicely into modern times (meaning without that thron vibe). the story had a very good grip on vertigo magic at it's finest. it is one of those kinds of pastiche-collages where the atomic parts were, when viewed seperatly, just meh, but as a whole piece it was done really really well. they did for once not overexplain everything, didn't use stupid artifacts or demons/ ghosts and so on. it was just a psycho with a god complex. and it was the konstantyn pulling the strings of his peers.

second best episode after feast for friends.

one scene i did not quite get. before john and ritchie go in, manny shows up and john tells him he is not needed. he looked very judgemental of what they were doing (or was it just because of ritchies blasphemous comment?) - why was manny there in the first place? as in: why did he decide to show up and why did the writeter put him there?

To watch their bodies and make sure nothing happens. If they get stuck there, Manny would be there. Plus I also think Manny was there just in case Ritchie dies to take his soul.

Man, why can't the show be this good all the time? I think it's my favourite one yet.

Jeremy Davies is amazing.

That was a cracking good episode. Nicely creepy, and with strong character stuff from both John and Ritchie.

• Upvote 1

Was the Mucous Membrane album in Ritchies office in the pilot or had that been added for this episode?

I think the pilot just had the painting. It still seems a bit odd that someone so desperate to avoid John would adorn his office with his image, but I guess it ties in with the 'life is suffering' stuff

The point of the Mucous Membrane album was that Ritchie wold have had a connection to the past and the Casanova Club... and it was a fun place to add the album. The portrait is not John, it's Johnny Rotten ... John Lydon. Many people think it's Constantine.

• Upvote 3

The point of the Mucous Membrane album was that Ritchie wold have had a connection to the past and the Casanova Club... and it was a fun place to add the album. The portrait is not John, it's Johnny Rotten ... John Lydon. Many people think it's Constantine.

Ah-ha! I knew it was Lydon right from the first trailer.