Sign in to follow this  
Demon Chas08

Constantine S01E12 "Angels & Ministers of Grace"

5 members have voted

1. 1. Penultimate episode

AN ANCIENT EVIL RESURFACES IN A HOSPITAL

When John (Matt Ryan) heads to a local hospital to investigate a mysterious attack, he enlists an unwitting Manny (Harold Perrineau) to help him. Meanwhile, a health scare causes Zed (Angélica Celaya) to question the source of her visions. Charles Halford also stars.

Between this and The Walking Dead's return, this will definitely be a very happy 26th birthday for me indeed.

Damn good episode this one. Scry map's gone, Manny hilarious as a human, angel blow job, And amazing special affects at the end with Manny's wings. I liked the chemistry between John and Manny and Manny and Zed. Chas having a lot of moments in this episode is good too. All around good episode. Kept my attention plenty.

• Upvote 2

Yes. I thought it was an interesting interpretation of the Eclipso story. Like you guys said, good use of all the primary characters even if the secondary ones were kind of weak.

Best bits of the week:

Scry map Flambè.

Manny getting it on in the supply closet.

• Upvote 1

this one dropped in quality to me. I'm kind of tired of John casting a spell or more in every episode. He's a con man not a warlock. I'd like more stories of him grifting or pulling off something with his wits and less of always knowing the exactly perfect spell to do whatever is pressing.

this one dropped in quality to me. I'm kind of tired of John casting a spell or more in every episode. He's a con man not a warlock. I'd like more stories of him grifting or pulling off something with his wits and less of always knowing the exactly perfect spell to do whatever is pressing.

that's what i enjoyed about the last ep . pickpocketing the cop like a boss/ " well, we all know i'm a master at the art of pretending to be a gentleman :) "

the last scene with him talking about imagining everyone he cares about dying felt pretty hellblazer esque to me though.

John is a warlock though. He's always been a warlock. He's a detective/conman/warlock. In Hellblazer he's used plenty of magic and spells in his run and has relied on it a number of times.

In this instance he could've been preparing this spell for a while in case he needed it and wanted it to be perfect. John's spells may not always work, but there are those golden nuggets that do work.

• Upvote 2

i cringed when he said ciggy.

i like how john, when he realised manny was of no use to him, kept manny in the state to taint him a bit i suppose.

the first dialogue between manny and zed was like this shit, priest pull on you and by an angel to top it. i hate manny a bit since that moment.

i hope this at some point turns into a "who was manipulating who better?".

• Upvote 1

The morally grey climax was pretty Hellblazery too. Heaven's angel finally actually does something, and that something is "kill a man who was almost certainly a good person."

John carving the Starship Enterprise into Manny's chest was also unexpected

• Upvote 1

It's a shame that they're having to end the story in case it gets cancelled.

There are some aspects that could have done with stretching out and I hope they leave Zed's tale rather than rush it to the end.

Alternatively they can kill her off or have her do a KIt next week.

This episode moved the Zed and Manny stories on but wasted time with the Eclipso diamond experiment on Chas.

I like how they accidentally found themselves in a daytime hospital soap opera. And will forgive some of the acting.

The scenes with Manny having to get it on were quite funny, but kind of killed any tension (as did the young doctor's revelation that he had shrapnel in his chest). I did not like the "hulking out" version of what the Black Diamond does.

Over all a much more generic episode than last week.

I really liked the way this episode worked with Manny. He's really growing on me. Also, bonus points for full-fledged actual smoking.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, loved Manny in this one. Well done.

Also loved using the playing card as a police ID only to have the drunk say "Do what you want, I don't work down here."

While not my favorite episode of the season, it was pretty great nonetheless. My wife seems to have taken a liking to Chas, when he got out of the cab with the screwdriver in his leg she exclaimed "this is such a good show!". My 6-year-old stepdaughter, on the other hand, checked out during the chest opening, deciding she would much rather watch Frozen for the 1,000th time upstairs.

I will be so very, very sad if next week's episode is indeed the end.

Yup. It's highly unlikely that NBC will have a second season. There is some small hope it'll continue on Syfy though.

• Upvote 1