Marcbilynk

A doubt

So recently I started reading Hellblazer for the first time, started with Delano, really enjoyed all the way to 1-13, but then I lost complete track of what was happening. Do I NEED to read it all, or can I just read some stories? The part with the hippies almost killed it for me.

you do not have to read it all. there are some arcs that heavily reference continuity and others that redcon some of that continuity. most of the time the authors establish their own little subuniverse (or at least the part that is important to their stories).

if there are ever any questions that you need answers too, either consult: http://hellblazer.wikia.com/wiki/Hellblazer_Wiki (spoileralert)

or ask in this forum.

to understand most continuity stories it is sufficient to know the names nergal and first of the fallen and that they have a mutual thing going with john about fucking up the days of each other.

I love the hippies part. That's a very divisive arc, though. It goes all kinds of places, and ends in a rather silly one.

But yeah, you can read the books totally out of order and you'll be fine. I did. I mean, obviously anything with 'part three' or similar in the title will be less accessible, but even then you'd probably do okay.

In fact even the new and nominally sequential trades do some time-jumps; most notably putting The Horrorist about a decade too early.

The main exception is Mike Carey's run, which I would very much recommend be read in as chronological an order as you can manage. Not because it won't make sense (Carey is very good at writing so people can jump on board late), but because if you then go back and read earlier parts of his run, the foreknowledge will hurt it.

• Upvote 1