Speedblazer

Look on the Bright Side

Speedblazer    141

So with the rating of Constantine being good and bad and the chances for a second season being unsure, it's safe to assume that this will be it's only season.

That being said, let's try to think about the pros of the series that can at least let us say "Hey that was pretty good"

I'll start;

• The references to the comics were rewarding.
  • Matt Ryan could really get into character
  • The tone of the show almost reaches HB's level...almost.
  • Angelica Celaya. Nuff said.
  • Charles Halford did well as Chas. Though he could've been a bit more...anally fatherly towards John then motherly.
  • The guest DC characters aren't as bad as the NU52 crossovers.
  • Good on them for trying to get John to smoke.
  • At least they acknowledged that John was bisexual instead of pass right over it.
  • The music was alright
  • More racial diversity
  • WOC
  • good Special effects
  • Manny was a cool character and his actor.
  • Papa Midnite was cool along with his actor.

A. Heathen    1,166

I started one like this right at the start (and when the film was out) and everyone got negative really quickly so I am going to do the negatives.

Sorry, it's just the way it is.

• The references to the comics were rewarding.
    NOT ENOUGH, AND MANY GRATUITOUS CHANGES*
  • Matt Ryan could really get into character
    TOO WELSH !
  • The tone of the show almost reaches HBO's level...almost.
    HAVE YOU EVER SEEN AMERICAN HORROR STORY? OR TRUE DETECTIVE?
  • Angelica Celaya. Muff said.
    Fair enough
  • Charles Halford did well as Chas. Though he could've been a bit more...anally fatherly towards John then motherly.
    YES HE DID. IN FACT YOUR SECOND SENTENCE IS WRONG
  • The guest DC characters aren't as bad as the NU52 crossovers.
    True, nothing is as bad as that though.
  • Good on them for trying to get John to smoke.
    Trying? Sorry I have to say this again, but I assume he goes for a dump, and don't need to see it. Two smokes per episode is not "trying".
  • At least they acknowledged that John was bisexual instead of pass right over it.
    I'll leave that for my Equal Opportunity Lecher friends.
  • The music was alright
    The soundtrack was at times brilliant, but the selected tracks ... YAWN METAL
  • More racial diversity
    TOO WELSH!
  • WOC
    WHAT ???
  • good Special effects
    Average. The non special effects are great though.
  • Manny was a cool character and his actor.
    Better than expected.
  • Papa Midnite was cool along with his actor.
    Better than the comic.

*albeit many fewer than the film.

seventhcircle    595

• the references to the comic were fucking amazing, if nothing else the show was worth watching just for that.

• i concur with ade, maybe he was a little to welsh, but there is imo nothing wrong with that. for a foreigner like me it sounded english enough :biggrin:

• i love angelica and her curly hair :wub:

• i did not like chas (as he was written, it is not the actors fault) not proletarian enough for me.

• on a scale from nu52 to hellblazer it was more hellblazer, so i am fine. of cause more hellblazer would have been better ^^

• the whole talk about how john couldn't smoke made me appriciate more every fag he sucked (no pun intended :wink2: )

• i simply can't agree on john being bisexual in the series at all, sorry. i mean you do not have to show him balls clapping ass, but at least a passionate kiss for a man (and a woman as long as we are talking bi) and really i do not care at all about the sexuality of the character (earlier posts may concur, but then again you grow up everyday a little more), but if you claim something to be on tv, fucking show it.

• i cared more for the soundtrack of spn honestly

• while we are at racial, what is the authors fucking problem with gypsies?

• second ades question for woc

• the special effects were as expected. i hope nobody gonna argue, that the fx of the film with neo were like a gazillion years more advanced, looked better and were most of the time even used better in a dramatical context. but then again we are talking tv (even if it is like what 10 years from the film), and the fx was as bad as e.g. in spn

• manny was ok, i so far do not have the feeling, that they are a 100% positive what to do with him and neither is he, as it seems. maybe if the writers nailed it down a little more and the actor had time to grow into it... he certainly had some big screen moments. and a scale from 1 to 10 he gets above 5 without a doubt.

• papa was awesome, he nailed it, more then i was expecting and i may even second ade in that he was better than his drawn counterpart

Christian    791

If they don't renew the TV show, and with Constantine's (the comic) allowed horrible sales figures, I have a feeling that we probably won't be seeing much of John Constantine in comic books for a number of years.

I don't see him as a big enough character that fans will demand to see him popping up as a regular guest star.

Yeah, he's still in Justice League Dark, but I don't think it has long to last either. Maybe it won't be coming back after this big cross-over. Sadly, John Constantine will end up as just another character like Deadman or Ragman, I feel.

seventhcircle    595

Maybe it won't be coming back after this big cross-over. Sadly, John Constantine will end up as just another character like Deadman or Ragman, I feel.

*sticks finger into ears

NANANANA can't hear you

Demon Chas08    295

If they don't renew the TV show, and with Constantine's (the comic) allowed horrible sales figures, I have a feeling that we probably won't be seeing much of John Constantine in comic books for a number of years.

I don't see him as a big enough character that fans will demand to see him popping up as a regular guest star.

Yeah, he's still in Justice League Dark, but I don't think it has long to last either. Maybe it won't be coming back after this big cross-over. Sadly, John Constantine will end up as just another character like Deadman or Ragman, I feel.

Because DC couldn't leave well enough alone; because a certain balding mustache man decided to snatch away what worked just to keep his job for the next 15 years or more. They could've cut Milligan abruptly and relaunched Hellblazer with a vol 2 instead of the New 52 cack. That version of John: happy childhood, follower to Nick Necro, JL member will never be relatable as the John Constantine we truly know and DiDio, Johns, Lee, Harras, and Nelson know this as much as they try to uphold their lie as a truth.

• Upvote 1

Christian    791

Yeah, but the thing is, once again, Constantine sold more issues than Hellblazer. In corporate terms, their stupid experiment was an actual success. Bottom line not quality is what corporations expect of people like DiDio. He took a book that was selling very badly, relaunched it new, and made more money than Hellblazer had made in decades, for a quick short term boost in profits off of the character, before he got axed, because comparably (next to other New 52 books), Constantine was still a failure.

Had they just relaunched Hellblazer at Vertigo after Milligan, it wouldn't have made the short-term sales that Constantine made. The sales would have picked up for a few issues, because of the #1 phenomenon, but not anywhere near the terribly average sales of Constantine #1 even, and then it would have settled back around where the book was under Milligan.

It's not that Milligan killed off Hellblazer, because the sales had remained relatively steady since Azzarello left the book, which were not good numbers in the scheme of comic books.

Yes, we can still point a finger at DiDio, as he could have done things to actually SAVE Constantine, rather than just make a quick buck before killing it. But, I guess that's why DC works the way it does, where if it's not Superman, Batman, or Justice League, the higher-ups really don't care, because those properties pay for the bottom line, so they don't ever need to bother putting in effort or creativity to make the comic book line one where both profits and quality can be important.

• Upvote 1

seventhcircle    595

you know they could have made hellblazer more political, more counter culture. what it had started off with and more alternative telling techniques and mythologie. and given it to someone who would exactly do that.

Christian    791

I'm not sure who you could get who would help sales. Si Spurrier or Al Ewing could probably do a good job, being British and often putting a political point in their books...but neither of them are big names that could help sell a struggling book. Spurrier and Ewing haven't really caught on while working at Marvel on much bigger books than HB.

Being too political can cut in to your audience for a book also. It's why most comic books today try to not be too overtly political in their stories, and try to often just be neutral.

"Socially relevant" might have picked up some extra sales in the 1970s, but the opposite trend has been mostly followed since the 1990s.

Now, fixing all those horrible problems about Constantine that DemonChas pointed out, on the other hand....That was a simple matter and could have helped save Constantine.

Christian    791

Oh, I guess so. Adrian can move it to the Constantine comic section. It just popped in to my mind, reading this thread, that if the TV show does end, the comic character is going to suffer. I have a hard time ever thinking on the bright side, about pretty much anything!

Gwilym    330

I'm not sure he'll suffer. I do have a weird brain chemistry but my instinct is that there could be a surge of "NO, this is how you do it." I want him to go renegade and only appear in unlicensed underground fanzines and Tijuana bibles

• Upvote 2