metanoia

Constantine: The Hellblazer Relaunch

The idea of John Constantine being a recurring character for a series based around Tales of the Unexpected style stand-alone stories actually sounds pretty damn good.

There wouldn't be any need to worry about the characterization of Constantine very much. There'd be some, of course, but it wouldn't be as glaring if the authors didn't understand the character (ala New 52 version, which also lacked characterization).

John could be used much more like during Moore's Swamp Thing. He's a mysterious character who always happens to show up in all the right (or wrong, depending on perspective) places and seems to have all the answers.

I wouldn't even mind if John was portrayed as something more of a psychopath.

No, it wouldn't be HB, but if HB is never coming back, this might be the next best thing. I'm not saying that's what this series will be, but it wouldn't be all that bad, honestly.

Are we sure this book is an ongoing? Some of the new launches announced by DC have been announced as minis now. Prez is a 12-part series, for example. I think it was originally given the idea that it was an unlimited series.

• Upvote 1

That's up on CBR now.

Nein, danke. I like the concept behind what Katie did (ahem), and the pick, but the clumsy expository dialogue doesn't do it for me, nor the suggestion that Constantine is someone who tries to avoid his responsibilities. It's all a bit cheap — we know the pick was John's because his initials are on it, like in one of those lazy editorial cartoons where the politicians are identified by their name on a briefcase; he tells us "I lied" just in case we can't work it out.

And on the last page it looks remarkably like two instances of giving the finger have been censored. huh.gif

Not really sure who the target readership is.

It's the colouring that's annoying. The artist is good, but the bright colours make the book look cartoony.

Something really needs to be done to find a middle ground. Dark and brooding doesn't fit this story, but the current colouring isn't working.

I can't say I love the dialogue, but I'll wait to read the entire issue. A few lines are very awkward. The writer seems to make some beginner's writing mistakes.

It's the colouring that's annoying. The artist is good, but the bright colours make the book look cartoony.

Something really needs to be done to find a middle ground. Dark and brooding doesn't fit this story, but the current colouring isn't working.

I can't say I love the dialogue, but I'll wait to read the entire issue. A few lines are very awkward. The writer seems to make some beginner's writing mistakes.

exactly.i was feeling the facial expressions and body language and all..there was something off i just couldn't put my finger on.the coloring.also,who's the writer?

Well, that's interesting (waves hand vaguely at a few previous posts). I thought it was clear that when Katie [ Spoiler : harvested demon skins and made them into costumes, she was doing something very wrong. And John was playing policeman, or gamekeeper, or something ].

I really quite like it. I have been reading Constantine and JLD though so anything with John in different to that is going to be better.

Well, that's interesting (waves hand vaguely at a few previous posts). I thought it was clear that when Katie [ Spoiler : harvested demon skins and made them into costumes, she was doing something very wrong. And John was playing policeman, or gamekeeper, or something ].

agreed.She definately had it coming.that was a pretty messed up scenario.can't even get mad at conjob for it

It was alright. I liked the overall story but the dialogue was a bit crap and they tried too hard to hammer home some really obvious points but it's only a sneal preview, right?

I expected more from Rossmo.

Also trying way too hard to be the anti-superhero guy. Look, we get it, OK? Best way to make him non-capey is to simply leave it out entirely.

that is the basic problem of a dc-constantine. they put him there to interact with superheros, but to be friends with them would hurt the perception of the character, so they need to emphasize how he isn't and why, resulting in a poor perception of the character. its a vicious cycle.

• Upvote 1

It was actually better than I expected. Though the main thing that's going to get me to try this out is Rossmo as he's been one of my absolute favorite comic artists currently working. His indie work has been top notch. I look forward to seeing what craziness he'll bring to this book.

I did find some of the writing a little weird but not bad enough to turn me off. And why shouldn't have Conjob did what he did? He stated that a lot of people died due to her trying to save her own skin (heh... pun not really intended but I'll accept it, ha! :laugh:)

Best way to make him non-capey is to simply leave it out entirely.

This!

Actually having him turn to the camera and say so was shit. Especially when three issues down the line he'll be involved in whatever the latest DC superhero crossover event is.

Good call the colouring, Christian, the absolute state of the job done on the eyes in those pages.

Exactly. I was going to say what John said about the superhero thing. Even if DC does try to make it so that John isn't the same as the other superhero characters they publish, having him shout in big letters, "I'm no superhero!" is just plain bad writing.

Maybe it'll be his new catchphrase.

"John....that wasn't very nice."

"Well, I'm no superhero!"

"Oh, John...."

(audience claps and hollers)

"John, did you break my expensive vase?"

"Maybe...."

"John!"

"What do you expect? I'm no superhero!"

(audience claps and hollers)

• Upvote 4

It's probably aiming to be similar to what happened with Pearly's daughter in Diggle's second issue. Except that it worked there. I still don't think it does here. It's far too you can trust me look at my eyes you can trust me LOL JOKES NO YOU CAN'T

I'm sure we can all agree that the use of SKINNNN as onomatopoeia is the best thing in comics, though. Even if that's not what's supposed to be happening

I've read a lot worse. Like virtually everything in the New 52 title. Probably won't be my favorite John, the "I'm No Superhero" is there for people who don't know who he is. I could wish for a touch more subtlety, but this hasn't crushed my hopes of an interesting book.

For the sake of the entire issue it better be stronger than the 8 page preview shown.

So far Im still not warming to Rossmo feeling he'd be better off doing just the covers rather than the interior.

How can one be disappointed in seeing interiors by Rossmo?? :ohmy: :ohmy:

To be fair, I've not been familar with him. I was equally squeamish about Murphy at the time of Jason Aaron's Newcastle two parter before City of Demons won me over

The idea of John Constantine being a recurring character for a series based around Tales of the Unexpected style stand-alone stories actually sounds pretty damn good.

There wouldn't be any need to worry about the characterization of Constantine very much. There'd be some, of course, but it wouldn't be as glaring if the authors didn't understand the character (ala New 52 version, which also lacked characterization).

John could be used much more like during Moore's Swamp Thing. He's a mysterious character who always happens to show up in all the right (or wrong, depending on perspective) places and seems to have all the answers.

I wouldn't even mind if John was portrayed as something more of a psychopath.

No, it wouldn't be HB, but if HB is never coming back, this might be the next best thing. I'm not saying that's what this series will be, but it wouldn't be all that bad, honestly.

Are we sure this book is an ongoing? Some of the new launches announced by DC have been announced as minis now. Prez is a 12-part series, for example. I think it was originally given the idea that it was an unlimited series.

like azzarello's run ? which next-to-no one liked ?