metanoia

Constantine: The Hellblazer Relaunch

No. I said "something of a psychopath". Azzarello's take was a full on psychopath. There's a middle ground.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing John taken away from the much more heroic take of the Mike Carey years either.

• Upvote 2

Honestly , take away a couple things and the idea of john being a sociopath makes a bit of sense.

He's a manipulative con artist, morally flexible (sometimes generally amoral) , an adrenaline junkie, depending on who's writing him no real remorse is shown for the dickish shit he's pulled on people, narcissistic,great poker face, and often seeming cold hearted. Pretty much all of those are traits of a sociopath and john has em in spades.

• Upvote 1

John has shades of sociopathy and psychopathy...but he's had a fucked up childhood among other things.his ways are reaction against what was done to him...it's not really innate like that.

• Upvote 1

John has shades of sociopathy and psychopathy...but he's had a fucked up childhood among other things.his ways are reaction against what was done to him...it's not really innate like that.

its pretty often speculated that sociopaths tend to have poor upbringings.

It can certainly be seen to be a defense mechanism, a way you learn to protect yourself in a world that you consider hostile.

It's one of a number of different personality traits recognized in psychology as a "personality disorder", meaning it's one way to coping with a world that seems harmful and beyond our control, developed in early years of life.

Although, looking at the concept being applied to corporate CEOs, it could be said that it's actually an evolutionary advantage to living within an industrialized, modern world. That the sociopath is, rather than aberrant, better adapted to thrive and compete in the current social environment. I believe that science fiction William Gibson dealt with this theme in one of his short stories.

John doesn't apply his sociopathy to success in the world, but it's easy to argue that he's a true survivor, who will do what it takes to ensure his own life.

It can certainly be seen to be a defense mechanism, a way you learn to protect yourself in a world that you consider hostile.

It's one of a number of different personality traits recognized in psychology as a "personality disorder", meaning it's one way to coping with a world that seems harmful and beyond our control, developed in early years of life.

Although, looking at the concept being applied to corporate CEOs, it could be said that it's actually an evolutionary advantage to living within an industrialized, modern world. That the sociopath is, rather than aberrant, better adapted to thrive and compete in the current social environment. I believe that science fiction William Gibson dealt with this theme in one of his short stories.

John doesn't apply his sociopathy to success in the world, but it's easy to argue that he's a true survivor, who will do what it takes to ensure his own life.

true...and he suffers for it unlike true sociopaths.

I'm a little peeved of Blythe's cock blocking that bartender. I was enjoying that interaction. Hope we see him again.

• Upvote 2

Man, I wish you were on the facebook discussion (I don't wish that on you).

:-)

you just made me slightly curious. Also, one does not simply state that they wished for someone to do something , only to say they don't wish that they do that thing right after . You already made the wish , man . :P

I'm a little peeved of Blythe's cock blocking that bartender. I was enjoying that interaction. Hope we see him again.

yeah...and he would've ended up dead :(

no,heseemed like a cool guy and I really wouldn't wish that on him

I heard he'll be a recurring character.

I heard he'll be a recurring character.

YES.

Though I have to wonder what role he'll play.

He gonna be John's boyfriend or do he know some secret occult shit we don't .I mean if he had like the basement of the place protected against demons,or if he a fallen angel or something you know ?

I really hope he just happens to be a normal guy.

It would ruin it for me if all of John's hook-ups in this series end up being supernatural.

John's supposed to be a regular guy who happens to have all this arcane knowledge. If he's only getting involved with supernatural beings, it takes away from the whole "regular guy" thing. He needs to be around regular humans.

Maybe he can be the new Chas? Instead of a cab driver, he can help John stay in contact with a steady supply of alcohol.

• Upvote 1

I do hope that John isn't presented as having a boyfriend or girlfriend though. I want this John to be promiscuous. Having a recurring sexual partner would be ok, that they could flesh out, but it should be one that is ok with the fact that John is going to sleep around, that he's not committed.

well he most of the time had a girlfriend in hb. also i am a bit annoyed that bi characters in the media always seem to be depicted promiscuous.

Well, if you have sex with males and females, you must be unable to commit!

No. I'm just kidding. Don't get on me.

I just like the idea of this John being a romantic anti-hero ideal, ala someone from Oscar Wilde. That he'll be a transgressive type of figure. He rejects society's morality. We saw him stealing a wallet because he needed money. The idea of him committing to one relationship doesn't seem to fit.

This is how I see the character.

• Upvote 1

I do hope that John isn't presented as having a boyfriend or girlfriend though. I want this John to be promiscuous. Having a recurring sexual partner would be ok, that they could flesh out, but it should be one that is ok with the fact that John is going to sleep around, that he's not committed.

yeah,cuz all of us bi folks are promiscuous,right?That would COMPLETELY defeat the purpose of the whole move of making him openly bi.Besides,through all of the constantine series (barring the show) ,john's been in commited relationships.

danita wright

epiphany greives

kit ryan

zed....was kinda sketchy ,so was marj...

but still,for the most part ,his girlfriends

and i'm pretty sure he was committed to nick and zatanna...only zatanna more than nick...

in light of that,while i can see john sleeping around in for personal gain or getting drunk and waking up with strange folks ocasionally,outright being a whore would be like azarello levels of OOC.

then again...i did write a hellblazer/constantine fic about john being roped into sex magic with other people (shoulda read the fine print) in order to appease a VERY powerful sucubus.THAT would be acceptable.Course the bitch is gonna have to die eventually...

in hellblazer it made absolute sense. someone that comes from an absolute terrible family background, trying to find the love that he never received and unable to fully commit because of his narcissistic tendencies and the guilt that makes him believe that he does deserve the fate of solitude, ultimatly pushing away all the great girls he met, before, like he figured, they would make him for who he truly is and go themselves.

in that context turning him into this old guy who marries someone that could be his daughter.... :Richie: MILLLIIIIGAAAAAN :angry:

in hellblazer it made absolute sense. someone that comes from an absolute terrible family background, trying to find the love that he never received and unable to fully commit because of his narcissistic tendencies and the guilt that makes him believe that he does deserve the fate of solitude, ultimatly pushing away all the great girls he met, before, like he figured, they would make him for who he truly is and go themselves.

in that context turning him into this old guy who marries someone that could be his daughter.... :Richie: MILLLIIIIGAAAAAN :angry:

yeah ...i couldn't get over that.and then he has a NIECE around that age and after what demon constantine did...too many unfortunate implications,man

Kit Ryan was the best.

And I hope they wouldn't get too far or mess around with John's sex life. He was played around with a dog (while drugged) on Azzarello's run.

Kit Ryan was the best.

And I hope they wouldn't get too far or mess around with John's sex life. He was played around with a dog (while drugged) on Azzarello's run.

yes,I loved kit ryan.

and yeah...the dog thing was squick.

really,we're just waiting for eldritch abomination to come with the tentacles already...