A. Heathen

The Brave New World(s) of the DCU

Let's finish off the current run of DC52 dourness in the other thread, and use this one to talk of exciting new developments

http://www.newsarama.com/23457-full-list-of-dc-1s.html

http://www.newsarama.com/23456-dc-reveals-major-changes-new-direction-for-comic-book-line.html

Some comics for some people previously ignored, some comcs for others.

No longer marketing their whole line for a single hivemind of post-Miller darkness.

Looks to me like youngsters and ladies are getting some comics, I hope they are keeping that nice Batgirlwoman comic too.

Looking at the solicits for Convergence in Previews, he's more likely some sort of esatz mash up of a few higher dimensional sorts that they can actually bump off at the end of the story.

(That said: I have no idea what the hell Branaic even looks like at the moment...)

It looks like DC is trying to make their line look more like Marvel's current line, although I still see some of the same problems as I found with the "New 52".

Martian Manhunter by Rob Williams is the only newly announced book that I'm interested in trying. It could be good or it could be mediocre, as there's not a lot of range for the character. J.M. DeMatteis and John Ostrander got really good work out of the character though.

It's cool to see Prez dug up...but the description doesn't appeal to me.

I think that is Brainiac

hmm that sounds plausbile considering the symbol on his chest (on a sidenote why does the nova corps have the exact same... omg brainiac is the xandarian worldmind :O )

but dogpoets guess doesn't seem to far off too, considering that this had been done with brainiac already.

• Upvote 1

Martian Manhunter by Rob Williams is the only newly announced book that I'm interested in trying. It could be good or it could be mediocre, as there's not a lot of range for the character. J.M. DeMatteis and John Ostrander got really good work out of the character though.

Me too, but I am pleased to look at the titles and NOT think "These are all for the same type of tossers who have sent the comics industry up its own arse for the past 25 years".

I really like the Flash and Batman/Superman one. The Superfly one makes me a little uneasy though. It's a cool cover no doubt, but the cultural appropriation makes me uncomfortable.

Oh in that case, I am appalled that the feminazis have usurped the noble homosexualists in that Wonder Woman one.

Well Convergence 0 was an interesting comic.

It was the back matter that clinched it for me, although I bought the nicer cover with the multiple Supermans.

It's interesting because I am reading it as a spin off of Multiversity rather than the Monst'rous crossover of DC52 proportions.

Covers and brief synopses of comics from the past that represent the various stories referenced in the issue.

ie lots of Braniacs, some dead Supermans.

• Upvote 1

Back matter is material that appears after the story. Letters, essays, pencil sketches, that kind of thing.

What they used to call "padding", in other words.

:wink2:

I am still kind of enjoying the Convergence story that is the lynchpin of the whole ugly crossover, and I hear that Detective Comics is worth a look.

The planet Telos is where Brainiac has stashed a load of cities, stolen from every one of DC's timelines (including pre-Crisis, Elseworlds and many more). The plan was to stage the Multiverse's greatest ever WHO WILL WIN?

The story is wisely focused around EARTH 2's more interesting characters, and they have to deal with allies and enemies from some proper shite stories. (And some good ones)

CAN THE SURVIVORS OF APOCALYPSE ON EARTH 2 SAVE THE MULTIVERSE ???

Individual stories have been as easy as Zero Hour to pick up without having to know everything, and some great writers and artists have been engaged in a couple of the books.

Plastic Man & The Freedom Fighters pitches the WW2 heroes into a New York that has been conquered by them Nazis as all heroes in the domes have no powers. An elseworldsy tale, which turns once the dome opens. I think this is where the Vampires Turn up but I may be wrong.

Shazam is just an enjoyable shazam story. No-one can say their magic words, so it's a battle of wits.

They get their powers back fight the villains and the next issue will fight the world of Gotham By Gaslight (insert rolling eye icon here).

But mostly a good read thanks to Evan "Doc" Shaner's artwork and a fun story.

Crime Syndicate has the bad guys going good, in an almost Watchmen type scenario, because they have no powers,

One of them looks back on their wrong doings and concludes "With all of the powers in out hands, WE chose the easy way out. Those 'do-gooders' were heroes on their world...and we were the cowards of ours." Sadly that interesting tale is sidelined by the arrival of the Justice League from DC One Million. Yawn.

Swamp Thing by Len Wein and Kelley Jones. NEED I SAY MORE?

It's rooted (LOL, I slay me) in proper Swamp Thing (ie Vol 1 and 2 up to and including Alan Moore) but Swampy is cut off from the Green and surviving on very little plant connection. In fact, I shall over-work the following metaphor: Swampy is cut off from his life source in much the same way as the Swamp Thing run that this temporarily replaces had lost its life. (I dropped that and even the finale was drab).

Probably my fave of the books.

Unless that's Justice Society, which has our Earth 2 heroes, aged, dead and dying without that protection of their superpowers.

There's an unsurprising but impactful return to full force at the end of part 1. But this book is all about character.

I have a couple more to buy, I think.

Detective Comics is getting praise, Len Wein, Bill Sienkiewicz and Denys Cowan !

And I like the cover of Booster Gold, must look within.

Incidentally, I do not like the Chip Kidd covers at all.

What a waste.

Talking of which, that online comic that has Constantine and Batman and stuff? Rubbash.

Oh, the biggest problem with Convergence is that Multiversity is much better.

#thereisaidit.

Kelley Jones drawing Swamp Thing is always nice. He and Doug Moench did a Swamp Thing guest-star story during their just great run on Batman.