A. Heathen

The Brave New World(s) of the DCU

I am still kind of enjoying the Convergence story that is the lynchpin of the whole ugly crossover, and I hear that Detective Comics is worth a look.

The planet Telos is where Brainiac has stashed a load of cities, stolen from every one of DC's timelines (including pre-Crisis, Elseworlds and many more). The plan was to stage the Multiverse's greatest ever WHO WILL WIN?

The story is wisely focused around EARTH 2's more interesting characters, and they have to deal with allies and enemies from some proper shite stories. (And some good ones)

CAN THE SURVIVORS OF APOCALYPSE ON EARTH 2 SAVE THE MULTIVERSE ???

Individual stories have been as easy as Zero Hour to pick up without having to know everything, and some great writers and artists have been engaged in a couple of the books.

Plastic Man & The Freedom Fighters pitches the WW2 heroes into a New York that has been conquered by them Nazis as all heroes in the domes have no powers. An elseworldsy tale, which turns once the dome opens. I think this is where the Vampires Turn up but I may be wrong.

Shazam is just an enjoyable shazam story. No-one can say their magic words, so it's a battle of wits.

They get their powers back fight the villains and the next issue will fight the world of Gotham By Gaslight (insert rolling eye icon here).

But mostly a good read thanks to Evan "Doc" Shaner's artwork and a fun story.

Crime Syndicate has the bad guys going good, in an almost Watchmen type scenario, because they have no powers,

One of them looks back on their wrong doings and concludes "With all of the powers in out hands, WE chose the easy way out. Those 'do-gooders' were heroes on their world...and we were the cowards of ours." Sadly that interesting tale is sidelined by the arrival of the Justice League from DC One Million. Yawn.

Swamp Thing by Len Wein and Kelley Jones. NEED I SAY MORE?

It's rooted (LOL, I slay me) in proper Swamp Thing (ie Vol 1 and 2 up to and including Alan Moore) but Swampy is cut off from the Green and surviving on very little plant connection. In fact, I shall over-work the following metaphor: Swampy is cut off from his life source in much the same way as the Swamp Thing run that this temporarily replaces had lost its life. (I dropped that and even the finale was drab).

Probably my fave of the books.

Unless that's Justice Society, which has our Earth 2 heroes, aged, dead and dying without that protection of their superpowers.

There's an unsurprising but impactful return to full force at the end of part 1. But this book is all about character.

I have a couple more to buy, I think.

Detective Comics is getting praise, Len Wein, Bill Sienkiewicz and Denys Cowan !

And I like the cover of Booster Gold, must look within.

Incidentally, I do not like the Chip Kidd covers at all.

What a waste.

Talking of which, that online comic that has Constantine and Batman and stuff? Rubbash.

Oh, the biggest problem with Convergence is that Multiversity is much better.

#thereisaidit.

In all honesty,I could probably write a better and more believable reboot than most of these guys do,it's the thing that frustrates me with the big 2...dc more so than marvel...

they really need to pick a damn universe,go with it and put everything else in elseworlds.shit do you know how hard it is to try to write a fanfic when parts of the cannon are fanfic-y and can change at will??

speaking of which,i'm gonna check out muiltiversity.

I would disagree, in two points.

They can do a single universe for crossover purposes but don't need to settle on one.

This will aid fanfic people by encouraging them to fill the gaps, and will annoy contunuity nerds. Double bubble!

The new Cyborg solo series is written by Dave Walker, who's doing stellar stuff with Shaft for Dynamite. His writing is good enough to put Cyborg on my buy list even though I have no prior interest in the character.

Here's an interview: http://www.previewsw...rticleID=163405

JasonT-Not sure if you're interested, but wanted to let you know that Secret Wars:Battleworlds #2, coming out next week, will be written by Dave Walker. It features Blade trying to hunt down Dracula on Duckworld.

Battleworlds is an anthology book, so you don't need to worry about wider Secret Wars implications.

Personally, that sounds like a story I want to read, and if Walker is doing as good on Shaft as you say, it should be fun.

I cannot tell you guys how disconcerting it is to see your name attached to things that you don't have anything to do with. I might have to start reading this guys work just on the name alone.

Sorry, I'll start using "David F Walker". Unless that's your middle name, too. :biggrin:

Not sure if you're interested, but wanted to let you know that Secret Wars:Battleworlds #2, coming out next week, will be written by Dave Walker. It features Blade trying to hunt down Dracula on Duckworld.

SOLD. :smile: Thanks for the heads-up — he tweeted that he was doing that book, but didn't make it sound like that.

Crime Syndicate vs DC Million was great stuff.

Reading between the lines and also in the small small print of Convergence #8 is PROOF that I was right about Multiversity.

Batman 41 was the debut of the Donny Darko armoured bat-mech. I thought it was well done, for what it was, but I won't be bothering with issue 42.

HAHAHA!

I think, really, I am about to let most of DC and Marvel go. Aside from a few titles they are doing nothing for me.

It is? Shit. Fuck.

Piss.

I thought we'd move on to the adventures of Justice Incarnate. I felt there was more story to tell there. Seemed to have wrapped up rather quickly.

Yeah, no DC for me, I guess.

I picked up three DC books this week. Funny that, outside of Constantine, the only DC books I planned to buy came out on the same week.

Martian Manhunter #1 by Rob Williams.

Prez #1.

Dr. Fate #1-This was an impulse buy. I've always liked the character. Paul Levitz was writing it, so I had impressions of The New 52 once more, but I decided to give it a try.

Man, remember that Dr. Fate series from the 1980s and early-1990s, written by first J.M. DeMatteis and then William Messner Loebs. Both runs were polar opposites (DeMatteis' all about the spiritual, Loebs' all about the political/social), and yet it ended up being one of the strongest entire series on any one character. I love that series. What happened to that DC?

Here are my reviews:

Dr. Fate was pretty bad. You can take the "New 52" logo away, but you can't take the mistakes of the "New 52" out of DC Comics completely.

I think DC was trying to replicate what Marvel did with Miss Marvel, by having the new Dr. Fate be a young Egyptian immigrant. But, having an old guy like Levitz probably isn't the best idea if that's the direction. G. Willow Wilson actually is from a Muslim background (not totally sure if she's still Islamic). The artwork looks like such a blatant rip-off of Marvel's Miss Marvel, even if you wanted to give DC the benefit of the doubt. The story is just dumb though.

Martian Manhunter is dull. The only interesting part was Mr. Muffins, but I won't be back to see any more of this.

This is another book I could see under the "New 52" imprint. Everything you knew about Martian Manhunter is wrong! The Martians are all still alive! They're terrorists, and Martian Manhunter was a super-weapon of the Martians, sent to help conquer Earth! Will Martian Manhunter fight his programming? Lots of things you'd never want to see in a Martian Manhunter comic book!

Prez-I thought this was pretty good. It's a satire, and it wouldn't be out of place to see it from Vertigo.

It takes place about 35 years in the future, when corporations can run for president.

The current election sees a totally corrupt Republican candidate, and a Democrat candidate who really doesn't have any opinions of his own....Oh, that sounds familiar!

The internet has dumbed people down, but at the same time, it's led to them growing tired of the same old in politics.

A "hacktivist" group nominates a YouTube sensation for president as a protest vote.

The internet's most popular blogger decides to endorse this young woman, which leads to her popularity soaring.

I'll probably give the second issue a chance. It's the only thing outside of Constantine from DC that seems like it's of any interest to me.

I'm not sure, Christian, but isn't G Willow Wilson is an American convert to Islam rather than an immigrant from a muslim country?

Prez sounds like fun: I'll have to give that one a go...

Prez isn't bad, but as a satire it's not really making much of an effort. I'd like it a lot more if it had anything to say besides "corporate influence on politics is bad" and "the media has too much power". The one genuinely vicious and pointed joke in the whole thing (Which I'm not going to spoil) had little or nothing to do with the set up.

I don't think it's set as far forward as Christian believes though, as it presents internet celebrities, lowest common denominator media, political corruption and bullshit conspiracy theories in pretty much the forms they exist in now. I'd suspect it's supposed to be surreal or cartoonishly exaggerated rather than futuristic.

Still loads better than Doctor Fate, though. Dearie me...

The first issue of the new Black Canary tries to do something different, but I'm not sure if that something quite works. Having a mysterious martial artist fronting a band called Black Canary is a neat gimmick to rationalise the classic costume as a stage outfit, but the trouble following the band around seems to be a pretty bleah bunch of supernatural something or others.

There are elements of the book which surely set it in the near future. I believe I picked the time as 35 years ahead, because the comic actually announces the date. The technology is more advanced. There's the use of things like SickStarter, which don't actually exist as of yet, in order to pay for expensive medical treatments.

The best social satire always looks at the present in an exaggerated sense though, while pretending to be about a possible future.

It's pretty plausible as a future (only more cartoonish than reality). The world of 35 years from now won't look all that different from the world of today, just more decayed and corrupt, considering that it doesn't collapse before that point.

I'm not saying this is an example of the best satire. Basically, by the standards of what DC is publishing at this point, Prez stands out.

Okay, I missed that date, and there is a reference to nanothings in there somewhere, so it is a bit futuristic, at least.

:tongue:

No question that this is a comic that looms out of DC's current line like a volcanic caldera in Holland*, either, and there are another eleven issues for it to get better still. I just wish it was nastier and didn't waste so much time on easy targets, is all.

*(Or Kansas, or somewhere else that's really flat.)