A. Heathen

The Brave New World(s) of the DCU

I am in fuck the Big 2 mode. Nothing they are doing interests me and I am buying Thor out of habit at this point.

You know those pictures of Batman and maybe some other superheroes, doing the finger, and "F#CK MARVEL"?

Are they fan based or genuinely where DC's people are at?

So, the biggest relaunch at DC is going to be their Scobby Doo title, huh? That's a bit of a surprise.

Marvel is actually still pretty good. You just have to ignore all their annoying relaunches and avoid their big events, and they have a number of quality titles. The "All-New, All-Different" tagline didn't really change much from what Marvel was doing with "Marvel NOW", except throw out a bunch of new #1 issues.

I buy a goodly number of titles from Marvel.

You knew Marvel was going to have to force some sort of new Civil War on the market because they have a new movie coming out, and they need to try to cash in on that. I wish I never had to see anything about Marvel's Civil War again. That was a really bad time for Marvel, around the time that first Civil War series was coming out. I expect that most of the stuff you'll want to avoid will be confined to the Civil War II mini-series, while most of Marvel's books go about their regular business, so it'll be easy enough to avoid that crap. I assume the big deal resulting from Civil War II will be that Steve Rogers returns as Captain America. Yawn.

DC, I buy Constantine, and wish I didn't, but do so out of habit. And, Swamp Thing, solely because it's just a six-part mini-series. I don't find it bad, but wouldn't bother with an ongoing ST title like this.

The most interesting thing about Marvel is how they're going to contrive an explanation that Wolverine was always an Eternal (or a Kree, whatevs) all along, rather than a mutant before they raise him the dead.

"You want to keep the X Men film rights, Sony? EAT THAT, BITCHES!"

He is. I don't think the original Wolverine is coming back. Marvel has X-23 (Logan's female clone, yes, really) in the role of the All-New Wolverine. While I don't expect that will stick long term, as X-23 isn't a character who is going to sell like Logan. Marvel also has the Old Man Logan version of Wolverine in the Marvel Universe now, and I expect they'll just keep him as the replacement for the old Wolverine. There's no reason that Old Man Logan won't work in the role of Wolverine just as well as Earth-616 Wolverine. Plus, Jeff Lemire is writing the Old Man Logan comic book, so that's always a plus.

Do they still have Earth 616 now that they've wiped and rebooted reality?

That's supposed to be the only Earth that's left. Although, Marvel quickly forgot all that by introducing time travel, alternate time-lines, and other dimensions within the first month of the relaunch. So, technically, you wouldn't need the 616 designation, had Marvel followed through with the "only one universe, only one future" stuff they were peddling for Secret Wars, but in actual execution, it's still Earth-616.

The problem is that the editors at Marvel have no idea what's going on, and they don't bother to tell the creators anything, so the creators can do, pretty much, anything with continuity. Silver Surfer is pointing out that the Marvel Universe wasn't recreated totally the same as before. Meanwhile, The Ultimates are still talking about time being broken. Marvel was saying that the Marvel Multiverse is going and only the official (formerly 616) reality still exists post-Secret Wars, although at the end of the actual Secret Wars mini-series, Hickman made it so that the entire Marvel Multiverse was being recreated (except the Ultimate Universe, which Bendis failed to explain why that is the case, with Ultimate End). However, Squadron Supreme is made up of characters from alternate universes who claim that their reality was wiped out by Secret Wars, and only they survived. It's best not to think about it, and just pretend that Secret Wars never happened.

Remember with DC: The New 52, they never even got around to explaining the continuity. DC relauched their universe again before they could even be bothered.

The thing with the original Crisis was that it was a fun cross-over event, and it led to the greatest era of creativity in DC's history, so it was easy to just ignore Crisis afterwards and enjoy all the great books that DC was publishing. I'll never find anything to complain about with the original Crisis.

Secret Wars wasn't exactly the best cross-over (it was slow-paced and horribly anti-climatic, at best), but it's easy to just ignore that Secret Wars happened and just enjoy the actually good books that Marvel is currently publishing.

Someone told me that DC was going to put their titles all back to where they were before the new 52 fiasco, rebooted, of course, but back to where thery used to be, kind of like they did with Hellblazer. Anyone else hear that?

And hello!

New #1 Issues (Shipping monthly):

THE HELLBLAZER #1

Do we get our John back???

More details about what Rebirth entails will be announced at WonderCon on the 26th. I don't think it'll bring back the Post-Crisis timeline, but I think that it'll be more akin to Infinite Crisis - it doesn't undo the current continuity but it retcons in a bunch of new history to bring back fan-favorites that were wiped out or altered by the New 52.

For now, the only thing we've learned officially I think is that Jim Lee is drawing a Suicide Squad book written by Rob Williams.

The current John Constantine comic is called Constantine:The Hellblazer, so if anything a comic titled "The Hellblazer" sounds more like a soft-boot route on the current series, rather than a return of Vertigo's Hellblazer, where John was never "a Hellblazer", whatever that might be.

Detective Comics and Action Comics are both returning to their original numbering, probably because DC wants to brag about having comic books that reached issue #1,000. Meanwhile, all the other books are getting new #1s.

For now, the only thing we've learned officially I think is that Jim Lee is drawing a Suicide Squad book written by Rob Williams.

I wonder how far behind schedule that will fall before it gets cancelled?

DC signs three more exclusive contracts: http://www.dccomics....talent-trifecta

Steve Orlando, writer of DC's Midnighter as well as Image's Undertow and Virgil

Plus artists Doc Shaner and Jesus Merino

I wonder how far behind schedule that will fall before it gets cancelled?

Jim Lee's Suicide Squad issues will probably join the 11th issue of All-Star Batman & Robin and Grant Morrison's WildCATS in his nightmares.