Ixnay by Night

"Constantine: the Hellblazer" creator interviews

A bit of a missed opportunity of an interview.

Because those superheroes have to have a costume, so let's talk about the bastard coat.

I'll just await the comments here and on FB before I consider giving the book a go.

Re: new coat

How Ironic that last month (though filmed three months ago) that we see Matt Ryan wear a new longer one and Rossmo decides to bring the shorter one back.

No, it is canon that he has both coats.

So this is perfectly acceptable.

:wink2:

Even the 4* black ones (Fear Machine, Ennis/Collins, Carey, & Murphy)?

*Yes I left out You Know Who because I already have one headache on my mind as is this week

our intention is to take Constantine back to what he was at the start -- a young, sexy, dangerous, bad dude.

going back to the dangerous, sexy edge of him

he was this dynamic, sexy, dangerous man

Excellent job of staying on message, chaps.

No, it is canon that he has both coats.

So this is perfectly acceptable.

:wink2:

Even the 4* black ones (Fear Machine, Ennis/Collins, Carey, & Murphy)?

Racist.

• Upvote 1

CV: Will it have a slightly Vertigo feel?

MD: It’s gonna be dark!

JT: These are horror books but to say it has a “Vertigo feel,” we want to match the challenge that the original Vertigo writers took upon themselves to take these incredible concepts and ground them in our day to day lives. But they grounded it in the real world of the late 80s and early 90s. That was so perfect and so real and so timely back then. I think sometimes now, to get at that Vertigo feel, it’s now dated because John Constantine shouldn’t look like someone who walked out of 1993. When he first showed up in the pages of SWAMP THING, he was the dangerous attractive man in the bar. Yes, John Constantine is always going to be wearing a coat but…

Or just give us Hellblazer Vol. 2 under Vertigo so the imprint regain its dignity again.

Gee, a book that was set in the contemporary world of the 1980s and 1990s feels dated in 2015? I wonder why.

Here's an idea! Set the book in the contemporary world of 2015, instead of setting it in a world like 1993, and maybe it won't feel dated!

You know what never feels dated? Good writing that is mature and respects reader intelligence! Those books are somehow always timeless.

• Upvote 1

Where does he even get 1993 from? John's look was deliberately retro, eight years before that.

That bit really makes him sound like a clueless millenial. Or one of the historians from Futurama.

Where does he even get 1993 from? John's look was deliberately retro, eight years before that.

That bit really makes him sound like a clueless millenial. Or one of the historians from Futurama.

Too right. Tynion's pretty much make Azzarello and He Who Shant Be Named look good in comparison (and that's not saying much for all three) even before the book comes out.

JT: These are horror books but to say it has a “Vertigo feel,” we want to match the challenge that the original Vertigo writers took upon themselves to take these incredible concepts and ground them in our day to day lives. But they grounded it in the real world of the late 80s and early 90s. That was so perfect and so real and so timely back then. I think sometimes now, to get at that Vertigo feel, it’s now dated because John Constantine shouldn’t look like someone who walked out of 1993. When he first showed up in the pages of SWAMP THING, he was the dangerous attractive man in the bar. Yes, John Constantine is always going to be wearing a coat but…

:sherlock:

all my hope rests with the tv show, i have none left to give.

Both the show and the hope of a EiC to tell Time Warner to take the "corporate synergy" and shove it up their asses.