Ixnay by Night

"Constantine: the Hellblazer" creator interviews

I'm all in favour of ditching the trenchcoat — it should have happened before 1993 — but I can't help but interpret the interviewees as saying Constantine shouldn't be so old.

I guess the 30something readership of "dark" comics doesn't want to read about anyone over 25.

We know it's a reworking, that's what DC have been after for a while.

So it's barely a criticism of the beloved 250* or so issues of Hellblazer to say "we are doing these things differently".

(*the majority of which most people clearly hate anyway.)

What I got from this thread was the internet's default setting is snipe and gripe.

I believe it's in June, following the big DC cross-over.

Yeah, they're certainly not going to go with John at the age he was in Hellblazer (he started acting pretty damn immature for a guy almost 60 during the Milligan run anyway!). When HB started, John was only in his 30s though. I'm sure most of us didn't think much about John's age back then, when most of us were in our 20s or younger. What was enjoyable was that John actually did age. The John Constantine in the recent Constantine comic wasn't very old, I think he was back in his early-30s. Perhaps DC plans to keep that interpretation of John, but jettison the baggage of the revamped origin, that distanced long-time readers from the character far more than how he dresses or his age.

Hey, remember when Marvel decided that Tony Stark was too old and did that elaborate story-arc so he could be replaced by Teen Tony? Yeah, I wish I could've wiped it from my memory also.

I believe it's in June, following the big DC cross-over.

Yeah, they're certainly not going to go with John at the age he was in Hellblazer (he started acting pretty damn immature for a guy almost 60 during the Milligan run anyway!). When HB started, John was only in his 30s though. I'm sure most of us didn't think much about John's age back then, when most of us were in our 20s or younger. What was enjoyable was that John actually did age. The John Constantine in the recent Constantine comic wasn't very old, I think he was back in his early-30s. Perhaps DC plans to keep that interpretation of John, but jettison the baggage of the revamped origin, that distanced long-time readers from the character far more than how he dresses or his age.

Hey, remember when Marvel decided that Tony Stark was too old and did that elaborate story-arc so he could be replaced by Teen Tony? Yeah, I wish I could've wiped it from my memory also.

That's Mad Russell* pretending to be John Contantine.

*inspired by Linkara's nickname for Frank Miller's post-DKR Batman "Crazy Steve"

I'd actually like to see John wear his suit nicely for once like at Swamp Thing and the early Delano run.

He seemed cool as a guy who dresses formal and neat but at the same time acts like a gritty asshole.

I agree with this. If we are going to have a youngish John who is wearing suits by choice in 2015, you would think he would be a bit more fastidious with his clothes.

I agree with this. If we are going to have a youngish John who is wearing suits by choice in 2015, you would think he would be a bit more fastidious with his clothes.

Like Sean Murphy's Critical Mass cover w/ John wearing not only his coat, shirt and tie but a vest (albeit unbuttoned)

I usually read Constantine as sexy, but apparently he's 1993 sexy

in 1993, when The X-Files came out, the buzz was smart is sexy. Oh look, they had trenchcoats and battled supernatural menaces, too.

Times have changed, and of course we can't have John as an eighies wideboy, because they don't exist in a young fashion anymore. I'll give it a shot, but I'm, not hopeful. I was about to cancel my sub when they announced the reboot.

I usually read Constantine as sexy, but apparently he's 1993 sexy

in all honesty? john swings between being believable-guy-in the street-hot (i seriously had a tragic love affair with a guy who looked like constantine during one of the earlier runs.really )and just being creepy.and when i see beige trenchcoats irl ,they don't look badass,you look like a cop or a pervert...though castiel on supernatural was doin' it

far as clothes being modern,here's what you do...dress shirt and jeans look,y'know what look i'm talkin' bout.give him a white (or sometimes black or blue) dress shirt tie,roll the sleeves,get some dark (black...NO SKINNY JEANS.PLEASE.Straight legs,that could work,maybe loose)jeans,pierce his ears, add some boots (not knee high boots!NO ! regular gotdamned boots that can be under his jeans)and please,only pull the trench coat in the right weather,rock a black leather jacket or no jacket at other times.His look should have shades of punk,albeit only slight (muiltiple ear piercings,maybe a strange piece of jewelry ring or bracelet).Also, ocasionally ,rock the shades (he did this on constantine...forgot what epsidode...it was sunny out,he was talkin' to manny and took off some shades)It'll still look like ol' conjob,just up to date.also,band t-shirts...and please,throw some up to date bands in there.no hate to the old greats,but i can't do sex pistols...i'm a black sabbath ozzy girl :)

.also..he'd probably where under -cover bi-pride crap (punk,remember) that only people like me would recognize .

and maybe a bdsm tattoo somewhere..(most people wouldn't even catch on..though i don't know how you guys do tattoos in the uk).

and finally,a job...or at least something that's a cover for what he actually does...cuz y'know,he can't dodge the law forever (cuz he did get the book thrown at him even in the original hellblazer)

Nah, I don't like the job idea. He's a con-man, that's his job. He operates outside the law, and manages to usually avoid trouble, because he knows how to blend in. There's a ton of people out there operating like John for cash, on the fringes of society...not so much the occult part.

It adds to his character.

What job would you want to see John working? I can't think of many that would fit him. He has trouble with authority, so he doesn't take orders very well, and that eliminates a good portion of jobs, outside self-employment, and he doesn't have the extra time to be running his own small business.

I just like it when he's presented as someone who lives in poorer areas, showing that, while he doesn't struggle for cash, he doesn't make much money either.

I do like to see John treated as a normal guy though. Having a place to stay. Going to local cheap restaurants. That sort of thing.

That gets lost in the comics sometimes, and I hate it. He's supposed to be a mostly regular guy who happens to know all this stuff about magic. But, there were periods in the comic where it didn't even seem like he had a place to live. I don't like that. I like to see his everyday life presented, not just his "adventures".

I honestly can't see John wearing (or affording) anything other then what he usually wears. It's like if Superman wore bellbottom jeans with his cape, or batman in shorts. John's trench coat look is his costume and is his most recognizable attire. There've been instances where he's worn different types of clothes of course, to me, they seem so incomplete on him. Maybe I suffer from Castielitis where I can't see John without a trench coatm but that's just how I feel when talking about John's look.

I wonder if an anime IS made about John, they'll over exaggerate the coat itself? Like some Yugioh type shit.

seto%5B2%5D.jpg

I honestly can't see John wearing (or affording) anything other then what he usually wears. It's like if Superman wore bellbottom jeans with his cape, or batman in shorts. John's trench coat look is his costume and is his most recognizable attire. There've been instances where he's worn different types of clothes of course, to me, they seem so incomplete on him. Maybe I suffer from Castielitis where I can't see John without a trench coatm but that's just how I feel when talking about John's look.

Really? I always thought the slacks ,tie and smokin' like a chimney to be more iconic.I always viewed the coat as extra cuz there are so many badasses in trenchcoats and he's not the first badass in trenchecoats out there,so many...john just manages to look like a shift bastard with his...not to mention he looks kinda scruffy at times.really i think he wears the suit either to through people off or for kicks

Really? I always thought the slacks ,tie and smokin' like a chimney to be more iconic.I always viewed the coat as extra cuz there are so many badasses in trenchcoats and he's not the first badass in trenchecoats out there,so many...john just manages to look like a shift bastard with his...not to mention he looks kinda scruffy at times.really i think he wears the suit either to through people off or for kicks

Pretty sure its for kicks. It more or less depends on what the artist and writer wants John to wear rather then John himself choosing what to wear.

That's what you think!

John Constantine would sue these writers and artists in a minute if they published a story/drawing he didn't approve of!

Alan Moore will tell you all about how hard working under John Constantine was.

I think the suit was to throw people off. He looked respectable. It was all part of the con-game. He had more energy, he was younger and fresher. As his career progressed, he gradually grew more and more run-down looking, as an outward manifestation to show the toll the lifestyle was taking on the internal of John. I liked the symbolic decay of John Constantine, from Alan Moore's work on the character down to the Simon Bisley's seedy interpretation.

I really like the trenchcoat, because of the lineage of which John Constantine forms a part.

The similar look to Hannibal King in the comic book world, in Marvel's Tomb of Dracula, preceding John's first appearance at DC Comics. It was like John was next at picking up the iconic archetype, and then running with it better than most.

• Upvote 1

I think the suit was to throw people off. He looked respectable.

See,that's where you're wrong.As an urban black youth I do NOT trust white dudes in suits,business men are shady.Period.We would already be onto his ass.Wish he would stroll up in my 'hood wit his shit.

No,really.As a cultural rule, alot of black people are suspect of 'respectable' looking white people because it tends to spell bad news for us...but moving along.

I call the suit as being for kicks,John would do something like that(on Constantine...he has a cheap looking business card that would make me call shady in a minute).

See,that's where you're wrong.As an urban black youth I do NOT trust white dudes in suits,business men are shady.Period.We would already be onto his ass.Wish he would stroll up in my 'hood wit his shit.

No,really.As a cultural rule, alot of black people are suspect of 'respectable' looking white people because it tends to spell bad news for us...but moving along.

I call the suit as being for kicks,John would do something like that(on Constantine...he has a cheap looking business card that would make me call shady in a minute).

I hear that.

As an sheltered black youth (let's face it, I am) A white dude strolling in the streets in a suit and tie AND a trench coat.

Naw, dead and robbed a minute.

First rule of the hood; NEVER act like you got money. For John, he'd probably think of a way out of all that mess, buuuut it would certainly hurt.

• Upvote 1

I hear that.

As an sheltered black youth (let's face it, I am) A white dude strolling in the streets in a suit and tie AND a trench coat.

First rule of the hood; NEVER act like you got money. For John, he'd probably think of a way out of all that mess, buuuut it would certainly hurt.

that mofo better learn to dodge bullets like the matrix if he wanted to survive philly

• Upvote 1

I hear that.

that mofo better learn to dodge bullets like the matrix if he wanted to survive philly

homeboy better know some protection if he wants to see the next day in South Central.

It's not like he's dressed as a cop. If you want to draw distrust, you dress up as a cop, not in a suit.

Why would you want to con people who live in the poor neighbourhoods? First of all, they ain't got much money either, if they're living with you. Secondly, it's not very ethical to rob those who don't have much.

Wouldn't it make sense for John to sell himself to people with cash and take their money? It's about blending in, isn't it? You wear a suit to blend in with the bourgeoisie, not to blend in with other poor people.