Sign in to follow this  
slinker

What was each writer's finest hour?

Even Azz had his Hard Time and Milligan his Suicide Bridge, so what was each writer's best tale?

Delano - Dead Boy's Heart

Ennis

Jenkins - Critical Mass

Ellis - Haunted

Azzarello - Hard Time

Carey - All His Engines

Mina - Red Right Hand

Diggle - In at the Deep End (his first arc, his 1st 2 issues )

Milligan - Suicide Bridge

still working on mine

• Upvote 2

Delano - The Hunger Demon arc or Family Man (imo)

Ennis - Dangerous Habits

Jenkins - Critical Mass. I am one of the least supportive of Jenkins run, but CM is among one of the best Hellbazer stroies ever told.

Ellis - Haunted

Azzarello - Hard Time

Carey - Man, so hard to choose. Really need to go back and look. But a game of cat and mouse never gets old

Mina NA

Diggle NA

Milligan NA

• Upvote 1

Probably should do this as one issue from each.

But then ...

Delano - Family Man

Ennis - that one with the cancer

Jenkins - Critical Mass

Ellis - Haunted

Azzarello - Freezes Over

Carey - Cat and Mouse / All His Engines

Mina - Having someone write the Hilarious Scottish Football Joke

Diggle - Lady Johanna

Milligan - Suicide Bridge

Mostly, their first story.

Delano-Dead Boy's Heart...the best issue of the entirety of Hellblazer.

Ennis-Cancer Man, (not from the X-Files)

Jenkins-The epilogue to Critical Mass, with the animal Tarot.

Ellis-Haunted. Not much else there.

Azzarello-Freezes Over. About the only Azzarello I could stand.

Carey-His final two-parter.

Mina-The heartfelt story where she tells us about the demons that drive terrorists. Oh, no. That may be the worst HB story ever written. She didn't really have stories, she had one story, with something I didn't want to read shoved in the middle.

Diggle-His first story...yawn.

Milligan-Either The Scab or Suicide Bridge. Nothing else is even up for discussion from me.

I thought about doing it single issue, but to me, if the ending is bad, it destroys the story and makes that one good issue forgettable. It might not be fair to see things that way, but I've always thought a good story with a shit ending is ultimately a shit story. So, you can list any single issue if it's self contained with its own ending independent of another issue. or, just add the best issue parenthetically after each story.

Delano: The Family Man

Ennis: Dangerous Habits

Jenkins: Tossup between Critical Mass and Last Man Standing

Ellis: Haunted

Azzarello: Freezes Over

Carey: All His Engines

Mina: Empathy is the Enemy (only because it's not as poor as Red Right/Left Hand or #223)

Diggle: Joyride

Milligan: Suicide Bridge

• Upvote 1

Mostly, their first story.

Delano-Dead Boy's Heart...the best issue of the entirety of Hellblazer.

you are a man of discriminating taste

Isn't he?

I'd go for Another Part Of Hell for Delano myself.

The Diary Of Danny Drake for Ennis.

Eddie Campbell only had the one story, sadly.

Last Man Standing for Jenkins.

Gun for Ellis.

Freezes Over for Azarello.

The two parter on Gruinard for Carey (whatever that one was called).

Can't be arsed with Mina or Diggle.

I'd like to have the three parter from Shade: The Changing Man for Milligan, as he wrote a way better Constantine in that than he managed when he was writing Hellblazer. (Also, a much better Shade as well...)

• Upvote 2

i thought Shade sucked in Milligan's Hellblazer and John C was great in Milligan's Shade, like yourself. Is that irony?

• Upvote 1

... I'd like to have the three parter from Shade: The Changing Man for Milligan, as he wrote a way better Constantine in that than he managed when he was writing Hellblazer. (Also, a much better Shade as well...)

+1.

... Gun for Ellis.

If you meant 'Shoot', you're dead to me.

Delano: The Horrorist

Ennis: I can't recall

Jenkins: Critical Mass, IIRC

Ellis: Haunted

Azzarello: Hard Time

Carey: With A Little Help From My Friends (#229)

Mina: Empathy is the Enemy

Diggle: In At The Deep End, or Wheels Of Chance Systems Of Control, IIRC

Milligan: Shade #42-44

• Upvote 2

And how does Dark Entries fit into the timeline? Before it turned into a 'chased by a demon" mess, I thought it was pretty good. Our whole playlist idea came out of that book when John said he was going to make someone a mixtape.

should i read dark entries and shade? especially for shade i always thought: nah thats milligan, i gonna be disappointed anyway.

Dark Entries

And how does Dark Entries fit into the timeline? Before it turned into a 'chased by a demon" mess, I thought it was pretty good. Our whole playlist idea came out of that book when John said he was going to make someone a mixtape.

The same with City of Demons and Pandemonium: After Diggle (the ONLY things after Diggle). If not there then post somewhere between him and Mina

should i read dark entries and shade? especially for shade i always thought: nah thats milligan, i gonna be disappointed anyway.

You should absolutely read Shade! It's one of the seminal Vertigo titles, like Sandman, Animal Man, or Hellblazer.

It starts out as a sort of ham-fisted "English guy critiques America for all you Yanks, because obviously you don't already know what's wrong with your country, so we Europeans have to tell you" books. It's not as cliche as Ennis' "Damnation's Flame" from Hellblazer. It has its enjoyable moments, but a lot of it is too cliche...especially the Kennedy story. I used to find the first part of Shade strong, but looking back, it only stands out once in a while.

It eventually hits its stride after the prolonged "American Scream" story-arc.

By the time the Vertigo banner starts, it's a "must read" book and stays that way until issue #50. Then, it gets sort of hit and miss, but there's plenty of like. There's a lot to put it above most comic books of the time period.

The three-parter with Constantine is just great.

To see what Milligan could really do with John Constantine, check out Shade.

Don't be put off by Peter Milligan's name. He did a lot of top quality comic book work until recently, when things started to go wrong.

Dark Entries? If you can find it cheap. It's not really worth reading. Slinker sums the book up quite well. It starts out as something different and worth reading, but then, it's like the author just gave in and decided to go in a totally different direction, which didn't work.

Or, maybe you might want to read it just for the first half, because that is worth a read, it's just the ending is pretty damn bad, and that usually ruins a book for me.

Wait. I think Milligan lives in England. Or, is he still an Irish citizen? I realized that after I wrote it. Well, the point still stands.

He's a Londoner with an Irish name, Christian. I don't think he was ever an Irish citizen.

Oh, I thought he was born in Ireland. He's included Irish themes in some of his fiction, so I assumed he had lived in Ireland at some point. I guess he's just embracing his family's culture. I was pretty sure has English though.

thanks for that long answer christian. for the milligan thing, i will keep in mind that i have to bear with it until it hits the stride. if i am put off by a book or series i have real difficulties piccking it up even if someone tells me its great now, but if i am prepared for walking through some shit before the gold i find myself usually more motivated.

bad endings are a bit different, it depends on how bad the ending is, but i am usually not put off by it if i was entertained or stimulated by the rest. i would refer for example to preacher, which is imo a really neat book, but has a rather weak ending (not really bad though). same foes for red son, which was entertainign (but not soemthing top notch) and ended (spoiler) with a time loop, which i (may have mentioned once or twice) really really do despise for several reasons, still it was alll in all ok and if i am prepared it makes it more bearable to have a bad ending.

and sorry, i will stop going off topic, at least for this thread (and think about my list).

It's not even that the start of Shade is bad. It has a strong first issue. It's just that you see how much better it could have been based on later stories. You might enjoy the beginning.

I used to find the American Scream stuff the best part of Shade, but later, I changed my opinion.

Just know that if you don't like the early issues, it does get a lot better before too long.

• Upvote 1

If "finest hour" were to mean their greatest moment rather than their greatest story, would anyone disagree that Andy Diggle's finest hour was when Conjob snorted Santa's ashes?

I would disagree with that.

I prefer the moment he dressed up smart and owned Ravenscar.

(Not so keen on the Golden Child reworking)

fde75083d76387efaf5118516ddc8fa1.jpg?h=807971a6482f87155c926088c9f9aad4&width=640

• Upvote 3

That turn-the-page-for-a-mirror-image thing was genius. But for me, Santa Snow still tops it.

• Upvote 1