Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Worlds Will Live, Worlds Will Die, And It's a Secret

there was the word exaggeration beforehand. i really didn't dispute moores greatness when he wrote those books you mentioned, i was comparing worst not best, specifically neonomicon. i was buying it at the train station, because hell alan moore, before a trip and then reading it and really really let down, i expected an instant classic on a name basis, that was my bad.

i was just surfing the ellis hype wave that has long gone, because i was just catching up to it.

The real problem with Ellis is that he's left a lot of his best stuff unfinished. I'm sure he'd get taken a lot more seriously if he'd bothered to wrap up Desolation Jones properly, for a start.

i haven't read that, because of that. i also find the person behind the author very symphatic (in interviews), while with regard to allan moore (and watching "the mindscape of allan moore") if he hadn't by accident written some of the best comics in history, i had no difficulties considering him a crazy crackpot.

I'll just plop this right here:

http://hellblazer.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=445&st=1660

Jason Aaron is an auto-buy sort of cat for me. Love his run on Thor, but Thors gives me a little pause. Not sure why, I loved the three Thors in his run. Weirdworld will be a must buy as well.

Who is writing the old west Steve Rogers, CC?

i haven't read that, because of that. i also find the person behind the author very symphatic (in interviews), while with regard to allan moore (and watching "the mindscape of allan moore") if he hadn't by accident written some of the best comics in history, i had no difficulties considering him a crazy crackpot.

I'm not 100% sure Steve Gerber was playing with a full deck either, so that may not be an entirely fair objection.

(And what there is of Desolation Jones is great: just tell yourself that the yawning mid-plot chasm it plunges into, never to emerge, is a slingshot ending like they used to have in golden age SF and read it.)

I think Gerber could just be an angry, angry man...he reminded me a great deal of Harlan Ellison.

Whenever I talked to him (Gerber) by E-mail, he was always very coherent and very nice.

Alan Moore has always been interesting when talking about politics, really. He just seems like a bitter old man when he talks about comic books.

Ellis has come across as quite arrogant and condescending in the past as well. He probably considers himself the greatest man to ever work in comic books, and he's probably alone in thinking that.

Tempermental personalities have long been a stock of talented writers. It's probably not best to judge authors by anything other than what they put on the pages of their published writing.

I'm planning to buy Ellis' next series from Image, titled Injection. That sounds quite good...so, he'll probably drop it to write another Supreme comic or something.

I'll just plop this right here:

http://hellblazer.ip...pic=445&st=1660

Jason Aaron is an auto-buy sort of cat for me. Love his run on Thor, but Thors gives me a little pause. Not sure why, I loved the three Thors in his run. Weirdworld will be a must buy as well.

Who is writing the old west Steve Rogers, CC?

Back on topic again!

Gerry Duggan is the writer, Lou. He seems to be a go-to guy from Marvel now. He's been writing Nova, Hulk, and Deadpool for Marvel, and he hasn't been doing a bad job. He likes to use humour in his stories (he used to be a stand-up comedian, I guess). I mean, Deadpool, you can only do so much with that character. He's not the best writer in comics, but he should do a good enough job.

Well, Marvel has announced one of its releases for Free Comic Book Day will be All New, All Different Avengers. Secret Wars won't even have started, and Marvel is already previewing something for after Secret Wars is over.

So, based on the cover: Female Thor is still around. Falcon is still Captain America. Miss Marvel and Nova are Avengers. The Ultimate Spider Man is there. Vision. And, it looks to me like Iron Man is a younger version...unless the art is bad.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=fullsize&issue=02795390700%201

Easy pass.

Can't say I know much about Gerry Duggan, CC. But a no-name writer won't get me to pick up a Marvel book

Just in time for Secret Wars #1, the final universes making up Battleworld have been announced. These will be available in July. Once again, not the complete list, but the important tie-ins.

House of M

Siege...America under Norman Osbourne. It's being written by Kieron Gillen though, so it's pretty much a must buy for me.

Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders! Written by Al Ewing! Awesome!

Age of Apocalypse

Hail Hydra-Rick Remender continues his Captain America run, with an alternate universe where Hydra secretly took control of the United States government shortly after its independence. I'd guess that America looks something like current-day America?

Howard the Human (one shot)-Duckworld survives!

I thought there was supposed to be a Mutant Massacre series also, but it's not listed.

It looks like there's going to be a mid '90s style x-men universe as well.

Words fucking fail me: they really think that the x men chunk to farm off into a separate universe is the post Claremont drivel, not the decent stuff from ten years earlier? Wankers.

It's going to be based on the X-Men cartoon show. There are still a lot of fans who look back fondly on that, and it's where they got in to X-Men.

At first, I thought it was going to take place in the X-Men:Forever continuity, where Claremont continued his run where he left off back in 1991, only he decided to not actually follow through on that premise for the series. But, no. Cartoon show.

It's not as if Claremont's work isn't represented though. Days of Future Past's universe. Inferno universe. Even X-Tinction Agenda universe, although that wasn't fully Claremont's idea.

I see, but even so: cartoon or not it's still the post Claremont bleah-verse...

Secret Wars #2-This is pretty cool! It reminds me of Age of Apocalypse. You know that nothing from this is going to last. But, I like how Hickman so seemlessly weaves together all these different worlds in to one Battleworld. He's done a good job with making alternate versions of familiar Marvel characters.

Doom is now god emperor of the universe. The Thor Corps are his police force, with Doom as the "high father".

There was a lot happening in this issue.

I'm enjoying Secret Wars so far. It doesn't feel liked a forced world.

Im reading this but im not super familiar with Marvel these days,so i am probably missing a lot. But i am enjoying it even though i don't know several of the characters. I do wonder if that's really Doom or if Reed Richards is under that mask.

I was thinking of that also, but Sue calls him "Victor", so I assume it is Doom.

I'm guessing this is like his ultimate wish fulfillment. He has everything and Reed has nothing.

I wonder if they're going to use Ultimate Reed Richards in place of Reed Richards for the story, as Marvel Reed was missing, while Ultimate Reed showed up with Thanos.

What is the deal with Ultimate Reed? Ive never read an ultimate book so i was lost in the part with Reed and the City.

What is the deal with Ultimate Reed? Ive never read an ultimate book so i was lost in the part with Reed and the City.

His backstory starts the same as the original FF, except the Ultimate FF were younger. He was a super-genius and gained super-powers. At some point, him and Sue broke up though, and it led to Reed disappearing.

I'm not totally sure all the details after, but Reed decided to use his genius to perfect the world, and used Celestial technology (Celestials are different in the Ultimate Universe, but I forget how exactly, except they're a secret extra-dimensional race living on Earth lead by Xorn, the character from Grant Morrison's New X-Men, sort of) to build the City, from where he could build the technology necessary to change the world. He ended up on the bad side of the Ultimates.

The "Last Days" books are really disappointing.

I expected they would be emotional, character-inspective pieces dealing with how a character (and those around him/her) would deal with the impending end of the world. I was looking forward to that, as there's been a lot of action heavy stories leading up to the events of Secret Wars in books like Avengers. We haven't got a really good chance to look at how people face this reality.

Instead, the books seem to focus on how different characters are going to try to save their Earth.

The basic problem with this is that we already know that everything ended. Earth-616 is now gone. So, we know that these attempts are going to fail. So, what's the damn point?

What a waste or what could be some good grounded plots.

I read a couple of the Secret Wars tie-in books this week, and they left me cold. They're pretty unambitious pieces of writing...which, I guess I should have expected from prior cross-overs.

There's still a chance that some of the books will be quite entertaining based on the writers, which is again, par for the course with cross-overs.

-A book featuring gladiator Steve Rogers and Devil Dinosaur as a team should not be dull! That sounds awesome on paper. But, the book (Planet Hulk) was very mediocre and felt like nothing much happened. How do you mess that up?

-A-Force didn't do anything for me. It seemed very random, and like Marvel were trying to rip off Wonder Woman.

-Master of Kung Fu...it was ok, but random. Pretty much like Planet Hulk, but slightly better. It takes place in Kun Lun (from the Iron Fist comic) and featured a world run by the Mandarin, where different Marvel Universe ninja/kung fu factions fight for the Mandarin's favour.

I liked Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man, so I read Ultimate End issue 1. Uh... it was one of the most forgettable treewastes I've read.

Sorry if this has been covered already, but aren't Marvel and DC's end-of-the-universe events the same concept? They're all gathered together to fight other superheroes.

How are Marvel's Secret Wars secret? Doesn't everyone left know about it?

-A book featuring gladiator Steve Rogers and Devil Dinosaur as a team should not be dull! That sounds awesome on paper. But, the book (Planet Hulk) was very mediocre and felt like nothing much happened. How do you mess that up?

If it helps, "gladiator Steve Rogers and Devil Dinosaur as a team" sounds like shite to me. On paper.

The owner of the comic store I go to said he thought that Ultimate End was the best of the Secret Wars tie-in books.

Yeah, Marvel and DC seem to be doing almost the same thing with their "worlds changing" cross-overs.

They have opposite ends though. DC is diverging their multiverse from the sole "New 52" variant, back to a mutliverse made up of infinite worlds. Marvel is converging their multiverse from infinite universes to a more compact mutliverse.

Secret Wars is closer to the original Crisis on Infinite Earths, although slightly different in set up.

There are other slight variations, I believe, based on what I know about DC's event (which isn't that much).

The Secret Wars aren't gathering together superheroes to fight other superheroes. It's a bunch of surviving alternate universes merged together in to one big world (all that's left of the Marvel multiverse). Doom is the ruler of the entire Battleworld, and rules it like a god, enforcing strict borders between different universes. Characters from each of their own universes aren't supposed to cross the boundaries set up on Battleworld, and if they do, Doom is supposed to punish the guilty.

It's called Secret Wars, because Marvel is copying DC's Crisis branding. Everyime a huge event happened at DC, it got called a Crisis. So, Marvel decided that Secret Wars is their version of Crisis.

Plus, the merged universes from the Marvel multiverse is called Battleworld, and Battleworld was the name for the Beyonder's world in Secret Wars.

Yeah, Marvel and DC seem to be doing almost the same thing with their "worlds changing" cross-overs.

They have opposite ends though. DC is diverging their multiverse from the sole "New 52" variant, back to a mutliverse made up of infinite worlds. Marvel is converging their multiverse from infinite universes to a more compact mutliverse.

They should have just swapped properties. All the DC characters could have moved to Marvel, and vice versa. And I guess they could have swapped offices too.

No! I'm afraid they might attempt to redo the Amalgam Universe event again if Marvel and DC switched their characters.

It's funny that I had a typo of "mutliverse" twice in that comment. That's the multiverse where every character is a dog.

Secret Wars: 2099 #1-I did not enjoy this. It had very little to do with the original 2099 books. They were good because they took place in a Marvel Universe without heroes. It set the books apart from the other Marvel books. Now, the 2099 book is about superheroes (sort of cynical ones, but still).

Infinity Gauntlet #1-This was ok. It's the second best Secret Wars tie-in book I've read. Nice art. I think it's a post-apocalyptic Earth taken over by Annihilus.

Inferno #1-I was looking forward to this, but it was kind of dumb. It picked up a bit at the end, so I guess I'll check out #2.

Where Monsters Dwell #1 by Garth Ennis-Best Secret Wars tie-in, so far, by a good amount! It was funny and seemed like I was reading a good Indiana Jones adventure. I'll stick with this book.

At the end of the first month of Secret Wars, I can say that all these tie-ins offer very little to the ongoing Secret Wars main plot. It's like they're just there so Marvel has lots of books to publish for the cross-over.