Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Worlds Will Live, Worlds Will Die, And It's a Secret

There'll probably be a collection of that one, chaps. :wink2:

X-Tinction Agenda #1-I'm not sure that the writer understands the point of Secret Wars. It reads like he's writing a sequel to the original X-Tinction Agenda cross-over. It reads more like a What If? issue than an alternate reality based around the original story-arc. It takes place on Genosha, but the plot is basically to follow the events at the end of the original cross-over, as to what would have happened had later writers decided to revisit those plot-threads. The population is being slowly wiped out by the Legacy Virus. It's not that bad as a sequel to the original cross-over, if anyone actually wanted to see that (it wasn't the best story to start with), but it's even more tangential to the Secret Wars event than most of these books.

Future Imperfect #1-This is decent. It reads like the original Future Imperfect, at least. David does a better job with that than he did with the 2099 title. But, you read it, and wonder what the point is. The original Future Imperfect was a classic, and was self-contained. This just reads like an exercise in nostalgia with absolutely no purpose.

Armor Wars #1-I liked this one. It takes place in a world run by Tony Stark and his corporation. The world is one big industrial city and has become so polluted that people are forced to wear armour technology in order to survive. Not a bad dark future type story, written by James Robinson. I'll check out the second issue of this.

Years of Future Past #1-I loved this! It was great! This is the best X-Men comic I've read, probably since Morrison left the book. Sure, it's just taking up the original Claremont story-line, but it's very well done. It sort of hones down the X-Men books to the core of what they're supposed to be about, and fleshes out the original story-line even more than Claremont's first story.

It's really more like a sequel to Days of Future Past, and I know I critiqued "X-Tinction Agenda" on those grounds, but at least Days of Future Past was an alternate time-line of the Marvel multiverse. There was a reason it would survive the end of everything, as part of Battleworld. X-Tinction Agenda was never a different universe. Plus, who wants to read more of the X-Tinction Agenda story-line, like I said, while Claremont's Days of Future Past is the best X-story ever told.

The Battleworlds story featuring Blade hunting for Dracula in Duckworld was ok. There wasn't much to it, as the issue included two stories, so it was short. The other story was really bad.

So, there's occasionally a bright spot amidst all the muck that Marvel is publishing to tie in with Secret Wars.

Weirdworld #1-I have a new favourite Secret Wars title. I love how Aaron seems to have dug through a lot of obscure 1970s Marvel comics....Arkon, Weirdworld, Skull the Slayer, Planet of the Apes....to cobble together this crazy fantasy world.

I mean, we have superior Apes living underwater fishing in to the sky for dragons! That's genius right there, is what that is.

1602:Witch Hunter Angela #1-I also enjoyed this. It's Gillen at Marvel, so I had little doubts, as Gillen has managed to surprise me time and again by making me enjoy a book that I figured would be a huge failure. It definitely has the sense of Neil Gaiman's original 1602 series. Hell, I might as well admit that I like the book simply due to the fact that Christopher Marlowe is one of the characters!

Squadron Sinister #1-It's not great. It's what you'd expect in a Squadron Sinister story, so it's been done to death (including the Injustice League* DCstories too). The Squadron Sinister world has conquered the New Universe world.

I liked the cover. I didn't like that they used the Marvel MAX versions of the Squadron Supreme at the start of the story...but, I guess they had to differentiate between the Supreme and the Sinister versions.

*I think I meant Crime Syndicate here, not Injustice League. Whatever.

Thors #1-I liked this It was pretty crazy. Pretty fun. It's a detective story featuring every incarnation of Thor, ever. It's certainly different for a Thor comic. There's not a lot to it, but it's still worth a read. Easily one of the strongest of the Secret Wars titles, but not the best.

Thors was (were?) pretty good! Antime you get to see Beta Ray Bill it's a plus. Also had a chuckle at Thor the Unworthy.

Yeah. Frog Thor and Groot Thor were pretty funny too.

I've always liked Beta Ray Bill, myself. There was that great line from him, "He seems to like me more than the other Thors. He says I remind him of a horse, rather than a horse's ass like the rest of you."

E is for Extinction #1-This is actually really good. The writing and art do a good job at making this feel like it actually is a continuation of Grant Morrison's New X-Men.

It takes place a number of years after the end of Morrison's run on X-Men, and continues on the premise that mutants have learned to market themselves, so that mutants are now considered cool.

Professor X has died. Magneto has taken over the school. The students from Morrison's run are now grown up and the de-facto X-Men.

Magneto has learned that his way was all wrong. Since mutants are the next stage in evolution and are superior to humans, it's best to play the human's own game. Instead of fearing humanity, mutants should try to compete with humans, now that mutants are accepted. Mutants are smarter, stronger, better than mere humans, so it's impossible for humans to actually compete with mutants. Thus, Magneto's dreams of a world where mutant's are on top and Professor X's dream of a world where mutants and humans can live together are totally compatible. Both dreams lead to the same end, which is Magneto's world.

Meanwhile, the old X-Men are unable to change and grow up. They're bitter that Magneto has managed to do more for mutant/human relations than they ever did. They can't get beyond the whole idea of fighting with other mutants for a better tomorrow. They can't deal with the fact that their way didn't work, while Magneto is now leading mutants in to the future.

It's pretty damn cool. In many ways, this is certainly where X-Men should have went after Morrison's run ended, rather than immediately hitting the re-set button. I'm not saying that every detail of this book would work as part of an on-going series...in many ways, it's dead end for the X-Men franchise. Elements of it should have been pursued by later writers though. In the end, this is a nice "what might have been" for fans of the X-Men who realize how tired the books have been since Morrison left.

Korvac Saga #1-This series has more of a relationship with Secret Wars, proper, than most of the tie-in books. It's the story about people remembering that things weren't always like they are on Battleworld. Doom considered any one speaking about a "time before Battleworld" as heresy. The Guardians' job is to hunt down these people experiencing time anomalies and eliminate them, as they're a threat to the peaceful existence of Doom's Battleworld.

The art is bad. I like the book well enough, because having characters remember a time when "there used to be stars" is a concept I wanted to see explored in Secret Wars. Not every one can have forgotten that there were other universes that existed before "everything ended".

Age of Apocalypse #1-It reads just like a story taken from the original Age of Apocalypse cross-over. Age of Apocalypse wasn't bad by early-'90s standards. An alternate time-line event taking place in an alternate time-line world.

1872 #1-This was quite good. Roxxon Mining Company has bought the state government. Kingpin is the corrupt mayor of the town of Timely, taking bribes from Roxxon. Roxxon has built a dam on the river flowing through Timely for its mines. The Native American tribe (led by Red Wolf) is very upset that their water source has dried up. Steve Rogers is the honest sheriff. Tony Stark is a town drunk. I'll keep reading this book.

I'm getting pretty burned out on Secret Wars by this point. The event has been extended another month now, due to delays. Many series have had to add on another issue to keep September filled with more Secret Wars titles.

The Secret Wars, proper, title is so delayed that Hickman admits he's not even sure when the final issue is going to ship.

Not really comicy but...

The line "I am Groot!" appears in Michael Moorcock's 1981 novel The War Hound And The World's Pain (delivered by a man called Groot, obvs.) I don't think Groot had even appeared in Thor by then, never mind receiving a distinctive catchphrase from Abnett and Lanning...

Oh, wow. I don't remember that from the novel. Probably because I read it before Abnett's Guardians.

Groot would have existed at Marvel at the time. He was introduced in a 1950s horror story.

He was pretty much forgotten, except Claremont used him alongside a bunch of other 1950s monsters in a Hulk Annual, circa 1970s.

When Groot first appeared, he was the ruler of an alien planet who could speak perfect English.

I highly doubt Moorcock picked up the name from Marvel, but Abnett and Lanning probably were influenced by Moorcock with his new catch phrase.

I suspect that, like all British genre writers who are worth a shit, A&L will have read some Moorcock at some point. I wouldn't think the whole thing with WATWP is anything other than a coincidence, myself, but it's still an amusing one.

(I had no idea that Groot's appearance went that far back, though: I'd always thought he was one of the '70s/early '80s space operaish guys Marvel were spraying about the place when Jim Starlin had become a role model...)

If you were reading Silver Surfer but stopped because of the cross-over, do not! It's not over yet.

This is the build-up to Secret Wars that should have been.

This is the type of mind-bending cosmic story you want to see in a story that bills itself as the "end of everything".

It's setting up a very important role for the Silver Surfer in the next Marvel Universe.

Yes, it deals with Secret Wars...but, all you need to know is that "everything has ended". Now, you can just read this as another issue in the on-going wild ideas that has characterized this series all along. It's better to think of this story as something you would have seen in a Dr. Strange comics from the 1960s.

Trust me, you won't be disappointed if you pick up "Last Days of the Silver Surfer".

Hail Hydra #1-I liked this one. What If Hydra had founded the United States? America is a fascist police State. Arnim Zola is Big Brother. People who refuse to conform are sent to the death camps. Nice dystopian setting.

I guess since Steve Rogers' son is from an alternate dimension, he remembers events from before Secret Wars.

Guardians if Knowhere #1-This deals with what happened to all the alien races after the Multiverse ended. Since there are no planets or stars left besides Battleworld, the remaining alien races dwell on Knowhere, which is the head of a dead Celestial, used as the Moon for Battleworld. OK, nothing to see here...moving on.

Siege #1-A rare misfire from Gillen it seems. I wanted to like the book, but couldn't get much of a feel for it.

Gillen revisits his SWORD series and combines it with Hickman's SHIELD series.

They guard Battleworld against menaces like Henry Pym giving his Pym particles to ants, in order to create monster ants.

At the end of the issue, they're beginning a countdown to the end of Battleworld, just like we saw with "time runs out" for the Marvel Universe....

Captain Britain and the Defenders #1-Now, here's a good book. One of those few gems from Secret Wars.

It involves an alternate Earth, where Tony Stark gave his life so that Professor Yinsen could survive with the Iron Man armour. Stark devides the world needs a man of peace, not a weapon's manufacturer.

Yinsen uses his genius, power, and wealth to create an utopian society.

Across the wall from this utopia is a dystopian world run by the Punisher and financed by the Hellfire Club. It's set up based on the principles of "safety", with constant warfare, tough on crime, lots of cops.

The series also deals with what happens to the Captain Britain Corps with Secret Wars. The Captain Britain Corps werw the guardians of the Multiverse, but there's only one world now.

As a kid form the 80s with a huge toy collection let me just say that WeirdWorld #2 blew my fucking hair back. What a fun title this is.

That would be far more awesome, because I loved the Micronauts comic book.

But, Marvel doesn't own the rights to any Micronauts characters, except Bug. So, there's pretty much no chance.

Mind you, Bug was in the GOG under Abnett and Lanning, so maybe he's in with a shot at being revived given the huge fuss there's been about the raccoon and tree that Giffen also stuck in the Starlord miniseries...

I don't know how well Bug would do on his own. The Raccoon was at least in his own mini-series in the 1980s. But, based on where Marvel's GotG is at right now, if it happens, it'll probably be under Bendis' direction, so it's not like we'd want to read it anyway.

Just think, Bill Mantlo created both Rocket and Bug.