Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Worlds Will Live, Worlds Will Die, And It's a Secret

Man, I loved the Rocket Raccoon mini from back in the day. I wonder how that holds up today

Very well indeed. They stuck out a collection of that one when Bendis stole the cool kids' toys and Marvel actually started making an effort to plug GOG instead of ignoring in the hope that it'd go away.

Christian, wasn't there some sort of Bug oneshot or something back in the late '90s?

Oh, yeah. I do own a copy of that. The less said about it the better...Todd Dezago was the writer. He's usually good for a fun story, but it was just plain dumb.

Yeah, Lou, I read the Rocket mini for the first time as an adult, and it's a great, trippy read. The references to Gideon's Bible were great.

Weirdworld remains in first place for best Secret Wars book....with the forest of Man Things!

But, Captain Britain and the Defenders was a close second. I say "was" because it was only a two-issue series. Shame. Ewing homages Judge Dredd with The Punishers. His version of War Machine was hilarious. Emma Frost channels the spirit of Judge Anderson, Psi-Division. And, lots of nice social commentary as well.

House of M #1-The real late-runner of the Secret Wars books. It crawls in with a first issue in August. And, it's not very good, which is about what you'd expect. You know the routine....Magneto is the ruler. His children are spoiled royalty. The human resistance movement is set up in Madripoor. Will Genosha be going to war with Atlantis? I won't be back.

I know it's Bendis, so everyone should expect this, and I know it's X-Men, so no one else cares....but I just read Uncanny X-Men #600, and it encapsulates what a mess Marvel is at this point in time. The book has been delayed for six months. It was supposed to ship before Secret Wars, but Bendis had gotten around to other things, so he couldn't finish off his run...for six months! Next, we saw Cyclops showing up on Battleworld with the Phoenix Force. How did he get the Phoenix Force? No idea. Well, that must be the big ending for Uncanny #600. We'll have to wait to read the story, right? Now, in Secret Wars, Phoenix Cyclops is killed on one page by Dr. Doom...so, it was all pretty pointless, but I bet it's a big plot point in Uncanny X-Men. So, I read Uncanny X-Men #600, and guess what? Absolutely nothing happened! It was a bunch of talking heads with no real plot. Did Cyclops become Phoenix? Nope. So, why was Cyclops the Phoenix in the pages of Secret Wars? I guess, just because, as there was never a plot where Cyclops becomes the Phoenix. So, yes, it's all pointless in the end.

Marvel was doing fine with the "Marvel NOW" launch. The idea to just let writers tell stories with characters and not worry about continuity seemed to work well. Marvel had a lot of good writers and good books. But, Marvel decided they wanted to change this and have a line-wide cross-over event (Secret Wars) that would relaunch the Marvel Universe (All New, All Different Marvel). OK, and what do we see? Everything is delayed. No one knows what any one else is doing. What is the point? If Marvel can't handle things like schedules and continuity anymore, then they should have just went along with their prior direction.

Marvel needs to learn you can't do both. If you want a connected universe telling a big story, you need to be concerned with time tables and editing. You can't pay lip service and expect the fans to keep caring.

Uncanny X-Men #600 sums up everything that is wrong with Marvel right now. The book is delayed for six months. The book isn't even concerned with the continuity that's taken place in the mean time. They charge extra money for a book with no actual plot.

The book is padded out with a random Iceman solo story from the 1980s. Why? No idea! I guess it was just sitting there, so they threw it in, so they could charge $6. The story was already reprinted in the X-Men:Rarities comic in the 1990s, so I already owned a copy. It's not a good story. It concerns the period when Iceman was in college, right after The Champions days. Does anyone even remember this?