• Below average
    • Poor

Okay,so I won't spoil everything but :

1)That preview is NOT relevant

2)Gaz.is around

3)Blood n stuff

4)John is obviously bisexual and.,NOT in the

creepy azarello way,in a normal bi person way

Did, at some point, a demon squirm out a man's asshole to curse Constantine and his very existence?

Did, at some point, a demon squirm out a man's asshole to curse Constantine and his very existence?

somethin' like that

Yeah, that was pretty damn good.

The preview must have been an early draft, or DC really did decide to fuck with us long-time fans...which would be so weird.

I think fans of the TV show should definitely give this a look. Although, I found it better than the TV show. It was more mature than the TV show. The comic wasn't afraid of showing sexuality.

I'd describe this as half-way between the TV show and Vertigo HB. I think DC really is actually trying to please their fan base.

Is it perfect? No. But, I can't really say I'd ask for anything more from this comic after The New 52 debacle.

Best of all...the comic actually took me more than 5 minutes to read! There's some actual meat to the book.

The first part of the book was so nice after The New 52 version. There was nice characterization of John. The fact that John actually is being presented as a bisexual, in a realistic manner. The fact that John is not a nice guy. I could get behind this version of John.

I'd give this book an 8 out of 10. It's too soon to say for sure, but I'd wager that I'd rather read this series than the last 50 issues of Hellblazer.

• Upvote 1

I liked it! I feel like it was a bit too dialogue-heavy (Blythe's long speech at the end was just silly), and this John is just a wee bit Mentalist-y - but it's still John. And yay for non-coy bisexuality.

It was fun, too. Bit camp and silly, though not afraid to get its hands dirty.

I preferred the preview story (ie the stand-alone short story) because it was less glib.

My first impression was that it has the jokey nature of Alan Grant's Demon.

demon-2.jpg

https://wtfdccomics.wordpress.com/2011/12/22/omg-dc-alan-grants-the-demon/

My second thought was that it's like Rocky Horror Show meets the Sex Criminals.

It's not that much fun though, and I am not sure I want a Hellblazer without horror.

If the story introduced in the preview becomes part of the main storyline, I can see me liking it more.

(1) someone from Constantine's past has sold him out by giving away aspects of magic related to him.

(2) someone is killing John's ghosts, as we found at right at the end.

Hung jury.

DC really did decide to fuck with us long-time fans

That's just a conspiracy theory. :angry:

It wasn't anywhere near as over-the-top as Grant's Demon.

That's probably the closest comparison to this issue though, yeah.

John Constantine comics have rarely featured horror in years.

There was campy horror elements in The New 52 book for most of Fawkes' run, yeah, but the stories could have as easily have been catergorised as "fantasy".

John Constantine comics have rarely featured horror in years.

There was campy horror elements in The New 52 book for most of Fawkes' run, yeah, but the stories could have as easily have been catergorised as "fantasy".

Well yes, I dropped Hellblazer shortly into Milligan's run, and Constantine was decidedly superhero world fantasy at first. But then Constantine was nothing but a homeopathic Hellblazer replacement. This series might be upgraded to Hellblazer methadone.

Sooooo they can show the characters "fucking" but can't say the word "fuck." They can say "shag" which means the same thing, and which some find just as derogatory. Hmmmmm.

It was cute in a way, the story, but the ending was convenient, a trick we've seen John pull more than once, complete with a monologueing villain who manages to squeeze out an enire volume of words amounting to nothing more than "I'll get you for this!"

I think they worked too hard to show John's sexuality. It didn't bother me, but it seemed very pandering. Give the people what they want.

There wasn't anything to hate, thankfully, which is more than I can say from every other appearance made by JC in the new 52 review. But I didn't love anything about it either, except the art. It had kind of a modern twist on the retro-comic look. I've liked everything Rossmo has done, though, so it's not a surprise to me for me to like the art.

If I graded it, I would give it a B- or a 7 out of 10.

• Upvote 1

John Constantine : International man of mystery.

So the overall consensus is good? Yea? I can finally pick up a new Constantine story without going "WTF ARE YOU DOING DC " ? I don't have to tell my friends " you HAVE to read hellblazer man" knowing fully well they won't and are more likely to buy something new? ( all my local comic shop sells in terms of Constantine is new 52 shit) I can once again be proud to be a john Constantine fan? Then I'll definitely check it out.

Sooooo they can show the characters "fucking" but can't say the word "fuck." They can say "shag"

23938bd56ffa302458768cd8e597d8f6.jpg

THAT'S what this version of John reminds me off; Austin Constantine: The Demon who Shagged me.

Why is "giving the people what they want" in a mass-produced publication considered a bad thing? Isn't the fact that DC failed to give the fans what they wanted during the New 52 seen as very poor policies on the part of a mega-corporation?

The fact that it was just put in to the comic without any further need for comment made it a very positive use of bisexuality.

If they had decided to make a big point of John's sexuality, with a bunch of flags, saying, "Look! John Constantine is being presented as a bisexual everyone!" then it would have been simple pandering.

I found this believable. Plus, I get the sense that this John Constantine is a less than ethical character.

I think it's presenting a cult character that people love as a bisexual, which is good. But, at the same time, I didn't get any sense that it was for political correctness purposes or saying that John is a role-model for bisexual people. I got the feeling that John is a person driven by sexual instincts. He's someone who likes to fuck, and he's less than savory.

It's not the creepy "bisexual is weird and different" vibe of Azzarello either. It's just a part of who John Constantine is. It's not any sort of message that he's trying to present to the world.

He needs money, so he had no qualms about stealing some guy's wallet.

I can get in to this version of John Constantine.

Also, the overload of dialogue by the demon at the end somehow worked for me, even though it really shouldn't.

I get the idea that she's a demon and she was doing everything she could to try to hurt John Constantine before she was gone. It did sort of make sense.

It might seem like a case of "telling us, not showing us", but there was an actual reason for all that. The demon only had a few seconds. She doesn't know if she'll ever have a chance for revenge. She's going to hurt John any way she can, while she can.

It's basically when you break up with a girlfriend in a bad way, and you're walking out the door, and she screams at you everything you did wrong. She's taking this chance to unload on you and try to hurt you while she has the chance.

• Upvote 2

Alright, a view from the Comixology seats.

cthb1.jpg

Those cover fonts, you might get away with one or the other but both together...like they couldn't be arsed - just pick two random ones and that'll do lads!

Fine, they fucked it, click next and let's see what we get...

cthb.jpg

Alright then, will give it another go Saturday maybe.

Wasn't the font on "The Hellblazer" used on Peter Milligan's Greek Street from Vertigo? I'm thinking that's where I recognize that font from.

It's kind of generic Greek font, innit ? So maybe, yeah!

Regardless, that kind of thing wouldn't bother me at all but they managed to double down on particularly rubbish fonts which goes beyond careless and into the realms of espionage*!

*No, not really, it just looks shit.

I didn't like it at all. I got the impression the writers were out of their depth. It felt like two college kids were told they had to write a comic book, and they read Google's summary of the Hellblazer Wikipedia entry.

The dialogue was the same clumsy artless stuff we got in the preview. Look at this:

i4iuzm.jpg

Why did he say any of that when he just wanted some clothes? Am I supposed to be impressed? What age group is this aimed at?

If they had decided to make a big point of John's sexuality, with a bunch of flags, saying, "Look! John Constantine is being presented as a bisexual everyone!" then it would have been simple pandering.

What? That's exactly what they did do. (Metaphorically, of course.)

I can get in to this version of John Constantine.

And vice versa.

hm maybe the example you chose is not the best jason. john looks really young in that picture, young people that try to talk deep usually sound pretty idiotic.

• Upvote 1

in all honesty,the cartoonish art style is really what's throwing it off.if they chose a more realistic artist,I'd take it more seriously.it looks like the funnybookz

as for john's sexuality...the lgbt community got juice.it might be the only thing to save Hellblazer .period.It's a really odd ,very nitch thing and in a world where alternative sexuualities are becoming somewhat more accepted,making john into a mainstream bisexual MALE protagonist and not skirting around it like before could be the only thing to bring in people who aren't hellblazer fans,y'know,mainstream folks.they also should've worked that angle on screen.

sides...i think some of you are unsettled about the idea of john looking to get pounded into some other dude's mattress...

really,it was set up through hellblazer that you can ignore his sexuality...but he's clearly a raging queer now guys..but i loved the wallet theft.

• Upvote 1