Constantine The Hellblazer #1

13 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5

• Excellent
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Below average
    • Poor

i think some of you are unsettled about the idea of john looking to get pounded into some other dude's mattress...

Oh really?

What with the whole body of critique in this thread including several words in favour and nothing say "ugh, he wants to touch a man's peepee" ?

This ain't facebook.

We all equal opportunity lechers here.

And Jason, I think the writing is snappy and cool because I am down with the kids. Obviously I think it's overdone too.

But I reckon above it's the kind of patter that the likes of con men and Derren Brown like to use.

• Upvote 1

The artwork is fine. I'm wondering how I'd react to this comic with more "serious" artwork, honestly. I usually focus on the writing and not the artwork with comic books, but in this case, the art really does help the comic.

The comic is meant to be more "camp", as others have pointed out, which is a big improvement over trying to be ultra-serious about everything, while the guy is fighting someone named "Nick Necro", ala Constantine.

No, Jason. They did not put up any flags pointing out that John was bisexual. Unless you want a very quiet type of bisexuality, where John never addresses the fact that he fucks men or flirts with males. In which case, that would mean that John really probably is not bisexual, since you needs have some inkling of such in the comic's text. I think this book used the fact that John was bisexual in a very subtle way, that it's just part of John's character, that it's not a big deal.

Putting up big flags is to make it all politically correct, where John being bisexual seems to be some sort of progressive political point.

Another thing I think is wrong with Jason's view is that he seems to be looking back on Hellblazer. This character is based on the John Constantine of Hellblazer, but that character is gone. This isn't the same character, just as the "New 52" version was a different character. You can't compare this to Hellblazer.

This John Constantine reminds me of someone from some Oscar Wilde story.

Hell, I also like the fact that there's actually dialogue to read in the comic book. I grew up reading comic books from the 1980s (and 1960s and 1970s as back-issues). It used to take a good amount of time to read a comic book. There were actually things to read. Imagine that.

Then, a new generation came along and said, "This is all overwritten! That's not how people talk! It's so unrealistic and dumb!". So, now you have comics that you can read in a couple of minutes, instead of spending 15 minutes reading them.

You know what I think? I think it's just lazy writers, who wanted to get paid more than any comic writers ever have before, and who don't want to actually do any work.

"See? It's all cool now. It reads just like people really talk! It's not over-written."

Well, I'm just damn pleased when I get a comic book which costs me $3-$4 and it actually takes me more than 5 minutes to read the damn thing. I don't give a damn if it doesn't sound the way that "real people talk". It's a damn comic book. The farther comics get from this push to try to make everything so damn realistic, when it's a story about a guy from outer space who isn't hampered by the laws of physics (or whatever!), the better, I say.

• Upvote 3

I like the sexy Batman one; now that I've seen the reimagined character I think it fits

It didn't bother me that they directly made the point John is bi at all. It just seemed like it was done more placatively to a large portion of fans who were outraged about the show not overtly doing same. But it was Far from subtle. And it's fine they addressed it early on rather than alienate that same portion of fans.

Christian, you still seem to have a problem with my earlier comments about the bisexuality controversy from the show when I've made it clear several times that my opinion has changed. I still disagree with the canon argument, but I never disagreed that he was bi. And I did a 180 regarding the dismissal of his sexuality for the show after someone made a point no one else had made prior to my coming around. They should have included his sexuality in the show and I'm glad they included it in the new book. But it wasn't subtle in the least.

• Upvote 1

I like the sexy Batman one; now that I've seen the reimagined character I think it fits

i kinda do too...but i'm on the fence about it.

the other one had that dark,mysterious aura, with the camera slant and ,the shadowy creature on the wall...

but then the other one is just fun.

the shadowy one would ,however,be more deceiving as to the nature of this particular story though...

okay,rediculous sexy-batman cover it is!

still,the other one was awesome...think i'm gonna go bang my head against something in frustration

It didn't bother me that they directly made the point John is bi at all. It just seemed like it was done more placatively to a large portion of fans who were outraged about the show not overtly doing same. But it was Far from subtle. And it's fine they addressed it early on rather than alienate that same portion of fans.

Christian, you still seem to have a problem with my earlier comments about the bisexuality controversy from the show when I've made it clear several times that my opinion has changed. I still disagree with the canon argument, but I never disagreed that he was bi. And I did a 180 regarding the dismissal of his sexuality for the show after someone made a point no one else had made prior to my coming around. They should have included his sexuality in the show and I'm glad they included it in the new book. But it wasn't subtle in the least.

i think it's cool that they just put it out there really,the more mature thing to do.That and do they really wanna make the same mistake THREE times?

1st mistake? The John/Zatanna/Nick Necro thing was bad writing.I'm gonna outright put it out there.The details were sketchy on it at best.It's kinda stated that Nick maybe tapped that before (heavily implied he did)...which,if he was banging both John and Zee,why was it so bad they banged each other ?This happens in poly relationships...not every kiss is a group kiss,and sex is not group orgy.Unless what,was John his bitch or somethin'? (Actually,if this was a BDSM type thing,John could've been his personal sub...though how would Zatanna be okay THAT unless the BOTH were his subs and he set rules...) BAD WRITING.

[bUT the subtle implications that john is kinda sub would make since here...which ironically,the show pokes fun at)

2nd Mistake,Constantine tv show John was practically asexual.I think what it was is that they were away of his bisexuality but didn't wanna touch it/were squeamish,like many of the writers.Here's what I have to say you can't ignore sexuality ,it's part of one'sidentity because it affects their actions.Key point I'm bi...and coming to realize (lately..sexuality is kinda fluid at times) i sexually prefer women and emotionally prefer men..it DOES affect how I react to both sexes on a daily basis (I will eye a nice rack from 2 blocks away,but won't bat an eye at a man unless he approaches me.I did however have more boyfriends than girlfriends )Now,this wouldn't apply to John on tv as the medium demands it to be portrayed visually somehow .

Okay,so 3rd time's the charm I guess...Though damn...didn't expect to see John Constantine. cruisin' for d*ck in the first issue only to be cock-blocked by a creepy demon chick he use to bang .No really ,soon as she showed up I was thinking Cock-Block in bold letters.(That,and you KNOW Blythe looked like a man...only hips let us know it wasn't)

[off topic now]The only real dislike I had was the way the panels were drawn depicting that interactive theatre to hell thing.The obvious sideview box thing looked to me like a story-board or something. Probably reaching,but I really did not like that.

Also,would've loved the preview story to have been expanded. Punk!John is FTW.

rant completed

• Upvote 1

Okay, I get it. He bangs dudes!

pretty much.And it's not a big deal.it's not a problem that he occasionally likes to 'take it like man'.[couldn't resist]

just that outside this nice little circle here on this site,it's kinda a big deal.(you see how they got on youtube,man)And in a world where lesbians/bi women are essentially reduced to fanservice...it kinda means somethin'.really i think the simple fact that we're fans of a series with a bi protagonist and we all read that bdsm/prison/complete perversion azarello run and still didn't jump ship,pretty open minded folks here.

I've been on message boards where people literally try to fight and deny his sexuality for vicarious reasons.and then ,if this was an lgbt based thread,there'd be a top vs bottom argument (yes...this is a thing that does happen in the circles.I am dead serious.MASCULINITY ISSUES).Oddly,most SWM readers want him to be think he's a top...but clearly it's bottom/versatile.

okay,okay.I'M DONE ,like for REAL.

until someone else pokes the dragon...

SOOOO I saw the comic.

• Still despise that outfit (it just looks so lame. Like an old man from the 90's trying to look cool)
  • Still hate the Zack Morris/Vanilla Ice hairstyle
  • art style's good. Not very "Hellblazer" like but I can dig it.
  • Covered in blood was an obvious call back to the TV show.
  • Gaz is back! :)
  • John's dialogue was better then New 52/JLD, but not as good as Hellblazer/injustice chapters with John.
  • Bi John is...actually pretty good. John IS bi so why wouldn't he BE bi? (flirting with dudes and such) It's 2015 guys. I think a little bit of flirting with dudes is all good.
  • That demon was a trans. period.
  • That transition through the 7 stages of hell was lousy. Like...these are the 7 stages of HELL, not a mini-mall.
  • the ending with that looong monologue seemed a bit unnecessary.
  • Disappointed John never really did get to have his night with that bear guy...or did he?
  • Still. Hate. The outfit.

I think people are so on edge about this series is because its the next best thing since NU52. However, some of those Hellblazer fans need to realize that this ISN'T Hellblazer. it's a series with the main character from HB in a different interpretation with different points being focused on. So of course it won't be the same. Hellblazer is done man. It's been done for a long time and we need to move on. Hellblazer will always be the cooler version of John Constantine (at least I feel like that) but that doesn't mean we won't have the memories of the series in our hearts.

I just added a poll to rate the series.

1 to 5 because it's only half as good as Hellblazer.

(But mostly because 10 options got to be hard work.)

• Upvote 2

i kinda wanna see how this pans out at this point.Anyone know when the next issue's being released?

Probably the second week in July. Definitely in July though.

Well, 10 may be easier, but it's harder to do the math to get from my initial score of an 8 to the same score for just out of 5.

I'll have to go with a 4.

OK, yes, the book is "good". That was a good way to sum up my feelings on the issue.

OK, I don't understand exactly what people want to see as a "subtle form of bisexuality".

I mean, people fuck dudes in real life. It happens! I'm sure we all realize this. When a guy goes to another guy and wants to fuck him, I'm sure no one takes this attitude of, "Gee, that wasn't subtle at all. It was pretty obvious he's gay!". Well, yes, if he's going to fuck another guy he must be either gay or bi.

Here's the typical non-subtle mainstream comic book way to approach sexuality.

Stereotypical bigot:"Whoa, dude. What? Are you gay or something?"

Heroic gay guy:"Yeah. It just so happens that I am. Want to make something of it? I think people have a right to have sex with whoever they please."

Random person:"Yes, it's perfectly natural. It's genetic. You're being a bigot by not recognizing this man's rights!"

Heroic gay guy:"Thanks. I feel persecuted all the time. I'm glad someone else realized that I'm not a freak just because I like other males."

Random person:"Don't worry about it. I think you're a hero. I wish more people understood that so that you could get more civil rights. I'd like to see gay marriage legalized one day. That'll be a big victory!"

Compared to what we saw in Constantine:The Hellblazer, where John just wanted to fuck some dude.

Like I said, this idea of "subtle" must be that John never has sex with another man, but maybe once every so many years, John might drop a line lthat hints that he's had sex with males in the past....ala Hellblazer.

at the end of the day,if you don't like the idea of conjob getting it on with other men,then just don't read it guys.I do like the way that it was treated casually and naturally.it wasn't omg ,i'm attracted to this man,what to do...no,his head went straight to the fact that this guy was attractive ...though I did get the indication that john was treading on ice.in real life,i do the same.most bisexuals are not butches and screaming queens and as such are believed to be hetero...flirting with someone is always a test the waters thing....and can be awkward unless we KNOW the other party goes both way/is gay. like john did,I kinda bait chicks into flirting with me or drop hints,so that part was yeah...still unexpected though! just went straight to it.kinda use to john just thinkin' bout it and not going for it,y'know?

I'll adress this soon as September rolls around. I'm still skeptical at the moment.

And Balthy, when has any of John's one night stands ever come back for a 2nd appearance?

I'll adress this soon as September rolls around. I'm still skeptical at the moment.

And Balthy, when has any of John's one night stands ever come back for a 2nd appearance?

As ghosts, sure.

I re-read the issue yesterday, and while I didn't mind the "conversation" of JCTH in the shop which Jason highlighted, I realised a bit more that the conversation of Blithe and her business partner are similarly over-wordy without the benefit of being someone we know a bit about.

I reckon the wordiness is why it takes more time to read than of late.

Could be a good thing but I find something unsatisfying in their monologuing.

I think the infamous sexy scene is not that sexy. Blithe is a decidedly unengaging character for someone who says so much, and there is more depth in JCTH's interaction with Oliver than elsewhere. For all the advocacy votes in favour of the sexuality of this launch, I hope the point is made and we don't have to tolerate fuck of the month.

I like the art. JCTH's expressions are more dynamic than other characters (although two of the main ones hardly have a face).

Having liked the impact of the double spread on first read, It's rather gratuitous when you spend more time.

The stuff that is lifted from Hellblazer adds depth for those of us who know the older stories, eg the ghosts, and that tale seems to be getting more development in the next few issues. But I wonder how someone who never read Hellblazer sees what will be for them a re-working of Constantine.

These ghosts have no pathos.

The "sting" is over in no time at all, and it's written as a jokey demon thing much like the Thatcher Election story.

Given that #3 solicit seems as jokey, I am not sure I am going to be sticking around, but that could change with a decent horror story.

Think my jokey DC fix will be coming via Section 8.

• Upvote 1