Constantine The Hellblazer #1

13 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5

• Excellent
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Below average
    • Poor

• That transition through the 7 stages of hell was lousy. Like...these are the 7 stages of HELL, not a mini-mall.

It was a trendy discotheque sex club, not Dante's Inferno.

See, I liked that the book didn't take itself too seriously. I was concerned about that at first with the "Heckblazer" solicit. But, so far, the fact that this does distance itself in tone so much from HB works for me.

He cons a person in to seeing a credit card where there is none, and doesn't worry about the fact that she may be losing her job because of his actions. It's just so breezy and accepted.

See, I liked that the book didn't take itself too seriously. I was concerned about that at first with the "Heckblazer" solicit. But, so far, the fact that this does distance itself in tone so much from HB works for me.

He cons a person in to seeing a credit card where there is none, and doesn't worry about the fact that she may be losing her job because of his actions. It's just so breezy and accepted.

normal constantine stuff.I can deal.

That's not good characterization of John Constantine from Hellblazers Past though.

John would never be so immoral as to not care about the effects his actions would have on an innocent stranger.

John robbing a random person isn't proper characterization either. What if the guy works at a factory all week to put food on the table for his three kids?

Where's all the moping and worrying aobut the common man of the world?

That's why I see this character as anti-social.

I don't care about any of that though, because this is not the same as Hellblazer, and the idea of a character who doesn't care about society's rules is appealing. I say revel in the decadence.

• Upvote 1

Ive got to say that i enjoyed this comic more than i thought I would. I get what they were doing with the nightclub double page spread but i wish we could have spent a little more time exploring it, i feel like that would have helped the ending.

As far as this John goes, he feels like an amalgam of the tv show snd proper Hellblazer to me, so i think that's a step in the right direction.

That was a lot better than expected. Then again, ny expectations were positively arctic. This was tolerable. The dialogue was quite stilted in places, but I liked the art, and the characterization wasn't a mile off. Will read more issues.

in all honesty...i don't think it's gonna last.just don't

I dunno I think it'll go quite a ways. Maybe 10 books or so. Maybe even more.

I wanna be positive about this series because it DOES have potential if explored a little more. It may not be old Hellblazer with grumpy, gothic horror, dark, philosophical/political themes, but this could have the same kind of potential of being just as dark as its older counterpart grandpappy if it got time to reach the same length that Hellblazer did.

I give it about 24 issues. Two years is considered a pretty good run for most new titles anymore...sad, but true. A lot of that may be due to the fact that Marvel and DC seem to want to renumber their titles every six months, but most of the non-core titles (Batman, Spider Man, Avengers, Superman, etc.) seem to end up falling through the cracks during the renumbering.

Hellblazer, lasting 300 issues, actually holds the record for the longest period published of any mainstream comic book published since 1968. Think about that. To find a comic book that has lasted longer than 300 issues published by Marvel or DC, you have to go all the way back to the '60s.

The New 52 series lasted that long, and that was about as missable of a comic as it was possible to publish. It did have the strong start of being associated with the "New 52" relaunch, which was the last time comics really hit a hot market, so it had some higher sales at #1 and #2 to keep the momentum going long enough before DC decided it needed to cancel it.

I don't expect a character like John Constantine will ever find a true audience again. I think this is it for the character for the foreseeable future.

We're going based on a relatively strong first issue. The comic could quickly go downhill. We may not end up missing it after it goes, just like Constantine. Who knows?

Honestly,I just re-read the nu52 Constantine...it wasn't that bad on it's own,it was the crossovers that were shit..The best issues was that Spellbinder thing when SPOILERS...you found out that 1)John has a mental imprint of Nick Necro as like a failsafe in his mind to motivate him that he totally created on his own volition (damn johnny,was it that good?) and 2) ZATANNA totally warped his fucking mind to try to make him a better person.A fun note/fan theory...this would explain the difference in this incarnation vs hellbazer....not relevant but it's interesting and actually decent writing for once.....she could've totally fucked his entire persona...that is serious fucking nightmare fuel.This is what she does to the ones she loves??? (pre-nu52 she did it to batman but for business reasons NOT personal)

But that aside...I can read it if I think of it as not Hellblazer....I also think this version would've translated well to television versus other hellblazer/constantine related series we've seen

they STILL don't have this in my comic shop. i get a weird feeling they never will. i'll have to go to this comic shop at another city . usually where i get my comics anyway. the local place is more game oriented.

they STILL don't have this in my comic shop. i get a weird feeling they never will. i'll have to go to this comic shop at another city . usually where i get my comics anyway. the local place is more game oriented.

i usually just borrow from people i know.lucky i got a social group into this kinda thing

John has a mental imprint of Nick Necro as like a failsafe in his mind to motivate him that he totally created on his own volition

That sounds awful.

John has a mental imprint of Nick Necro as like a failsafe in his mind to motivate him that he totally created on his own volition (damn johnny,was it that good?)

It's good to see that other people liked Farscape.