Christian

Marvel's One World Order

That's something else you'd be well smug about at that age, I suspect.

Looks like some major shake ups are coming at Marvel: current editor-in-chief Axel Alonso is being replaced by C.B. Cebulski. I'm guessing that the overall tepid-at-best response to Marvel Legacy was the final straw for Alonso. I'm not real familiar with Cebulski, so whether this constitutes a shift for better or worse for Marvel's books I can't say.

About damn time!

Poor Jim Shooter makes one really bad decision with the "New Universe" and he gets canned immediately. Alonso has been getting away with freakin' murder at Marvel for the past couple of years, and the fact that he was running the company in to the ground seemed to be the "elephant in the room".

I like to think that I am responsible for this. Someone read this Forum and said, "Oh man, Christian was the only person who liked Marvel Comics anymore, and now he's stopped reading our books."

I can't say much for Cebulski's writing talents, which are quite awful, but that doesn't reflect on him as an editor at all.

Hopefully, he's been studying Alonso well so he knows how not to perform as an editor-in-chief.

If Marvel starts to change its ways, I am always willing to give them another chance. I love the Marvel Universe, and it was a really depressing decision to realize that I couldn't stand almost any of the Marvel books I was reading, and that the direction that has been taken by the Marvel Universe since Secret Wars is not anything I have any interest in reading.

They still have a long way to go to earn back my loyalty (they need to get back some quality writers and not rely on mediocrity to carry the majority of their titles, for one).....deals with the military-industrial complex and X-Men: Red are still pending as poor signs needed to move beyond.

I don't know what is going on with Marvel at the moment, they seem to be cutting a lot of their titles, right after their latest relaunch. Is it time for another relaunch?

I think Marvel's editors are finding all those big numbers on the covers of their comics confusing and disconcerting. They're more comfortable seeing single digit numerals. I'm sure that they felt they needed more #1s for comfort purposes.

It seems that both of Al Ewing's titles for Marvel have been canceled now. So, I wonder if Ewing is the next big name to leave Marvel?

Ewing's Avengers series didn't get cancelled, it just got folded into the 4-times weekly AVENGERS series through the crossover, right?  I thought all of the titles were coming out the other side with relaunches in time for the new movie.

Oh, I thought that Marvel had decided to only have one Avengers book, and that it was being written by Waid. I must have misunderstood.

Yeah, they folded together Avengers, USAvengers, Uncanny Avengers, and (I think) Occupy Avengers into a weekly AVENGERS series by Waid, Zub, Ewing, and whoever was writing Occupy for the next 4-6 months.  It's a crossover event, can't remember the name of it to save my life, "World's Collide" maybe?  I'm pretty sure I heard that the books would be separating back into individual titles again in time for the new movie.

Well, I thought that maybe Marvel had started to get a little bit of sense by only having one Avengers book, but I'm sure that Marvel will soon have eight different Avengers books instead, because that's Marvel Comics.

As if having ten different X-titles wasn't enough of a sign that Marvel is not learning from mistakes. When sales dip due to overexposure of a character, that is not a sign that you need to launch even more books in that line. That will not solve the problem. That will just ends up splitting readership even more thin.

David Walker was writing Occupy Avengers. It started out promising, but then quickly lost its purpose for existence. It was hard to truly consider it an Avengers title, as it was really just a Hawkeye team-up book. It was really canceled before Legacy, so it looks like Marvel will be digging it back up if it's part of this "event".

Then maybe I'm mistaken on Occupy being included.  Was there a fourth Avengers title that I'm forgetting about going into Legacy?

Speaking of the X-Men books, I think it's hilarious that Marvel's big plan for those titles are "X-Men Blue", "X-Men Gold", the forthcoming "X-Men Red" and..."Astonishing X-Men"?  I guess "X-Men Purple" was off the table for some reason?

Yes, Astonishing X-Men just does not belong. I cannot wait for X-Men: Green though. I'm guessing that would be the one that was lead by Banshee?

Also, I thought that X-Men: Red should be a team made up of Jean Grey-archetypes. It could feature adult Jean, teen Jean, Rachel Summers.....

Then, they could do X-Men: Yellow, and it would be all the different Wolverine characters as a team.

No, checking online, you are right. It is Occupy Avengers. I don't know why Marvel is bringing that back, or if they're revamping it when they do. I'm sure they could have thought of a different Avengers book to relaunch. Maybe West Coast Avengers again.

Maybe they'll do the next relaunch as X-Men Ruby, X-Men Sapphire and X-Men Emerald?

Oh good. Marvel is now saying that their Infinity Countdown big event may lead to the end of the Marvel Universe. It's only been about five years since the last time the Marvel Universe ended with Secret Wars, and then came right back six months later as if nothing had ever happened. So, I guess the next Marvel relaunch is just around the corner!

I'm glad that I stopped giving Marvel my money.....with the exception that I made to check out X-Men: Grand Design, which is outside of current continuity.

Marvel Comics will just never learn. They just come across as completely clueless and desperate at this point.

So long as you're still buying X Men retroGrand Design, they don't have to learn, do they?

:tongue:

I've been reading the new arc on Punisher, written by Mathew Rosenberg.  Despite having a pretty ludicrous premise (Frank Castle becomes War Machine), it's actually been a LOT better than I expected.  The artwork's pretty nice, provided you can get past Castle suddenly looking just like Jon Bernthal, but the story has been surprisingly solid.  Better than Becky Cloonan's poor-man's retread of Garth Ennis, definitely.  

• Like 1

I always thought a "What if..." Frank Castle became Deathlok book would have been cool.

• Upvote 2

I can't believe there's never been a "What If...?" story that featured Frank Castle becoming Ghost Rider.  It almost writes itself: Castle loses his family, becomes possessed by the Spirit of Vengeance after making a deal with the Devil.  That's almost exactly what he did at the end of "Born" actually, it was just another (possible) entity, if not just Frank's own crazed mental state.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Both would work. Hell, he's not a stupid man and would probably want some sort of supernatural assistance rather than trying to deal with supervillains and superheroes by shooting at them.

(I think the end of Born was supposed to be a nervous breakdown rather than anything that happened outside of his head, though.)

It seemed like it, but there's also the "be careful what you wish for" aspect of making a deal with a demon though. Frank didn't want the killing to ever end, and now he has a war that will never end (or, at least until the scenario in Ennis' excellent Punisher: The End comic book comes to pass). He got his wish, it just cost him his family in return.

Yeah I have always felt that one teetered on the brink of 'is he crazy' or did he in fact make a deal with the devil. I think one can interpret that either way, which is fun.

Fair enough. In a setting with the likes of Satanna and Hellstorm in it, though, I prefer to think that was all internal, though.

:wink2:

Doesn't that sort of go against your wanting to see Frank Castle going supernatural for his war on villainy though?

I can understand why a lot of people want Punisher to sort of remain as separate as possible from the outré Marvel Universe trappings (even though he was introduced in Spider Man and working with a character in a costume named the Jackal), but not minding the idea of Castle bonding with Zarathos seems to cancel out the problem of Frank Castle literally dealing with demons.

I'm talking about Castle bonding with Zarathros as a what if, rather than assuming that somebody who spends all day every day shooting criminals might have had a nervous breakdown and imagined a deal with the devil rather than anything of the sort happening, Christian. In the Marvel universe, deals with the devil tend to be a bit showier, and affect your dress sense some, dig?

I tend to lean a little bit towards a supernatural influence only because of his age and the amount of (no pun intended) punishment he’s able to inflict and also take. 

Dog-Look at Spider Man. His fashion sense remained intact after his deal with the Devil.

If you're using Son of Satan and Satanna as examples, they're both the progeny of Satan, not of making deals with demons.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly, Lou. I think that's what Ennis might have been getting at, that Castle won't ever be able to die so long as his war is on-going, which will last until the end of time.

It could also explain the fact that Frank Castle is still in-continuity a veteran of the Vietnam War, even though that was 50 years ago now. Castle should be somewhere in his 70s, yet he's still looking the same age as when he started.

Sure, you can argue about "Marvel's time-line", but they recently ret-conned it so that Tony Stark's origin took place in Afghanistan, not Vietnam. It would be a simple matter to say that Castle was a soldier in the most recent war in Iraq, but Marvel has kept the Vietnam War back-story.

Otherwise, the Punisher is just a really in-shape guy with a big gun who runs around never having to worry about getting shot and killed. It's basically The Rock getting a bunch of guns and declaring a "war on crime", and running around amidst all these bullets, being perfectly fine. Eventually, the guy is going to get shot and killed, having no powers.

I think Ennis just kept it ambiguous enough that fans who would complain about supernatural elements popping up in a Punisher story could think that it was all part of his break-down, and that either explanation is acceptable.

Good point: it didn't mess up Johnny Blaze's dress sense (such as it was) either, come to that.