Christian

Marvel's One World Order

dogpoet    487
5 minutes ago, Lou K said:

Azzarello's CAGE starts off good enough, with fantastic art by the legendary Richard Corben, but I feel like he does not wrap it up very well. Matter of fact, I find myself feeling that way on a lot of his work. Great spin up, with the finish not quite living up to it's end of the bargain.

Mentioning no sweetly musky balls...

• Like 1

Christian    781

I wasn't impressed with Cage. It didn't seem to have much point to it, to me. It's been years since I've read it though. I'd expect it would hold up even worse, compared to when it was published.

The best work on Luke Cage was from Don McGregor in the 1970s. It's such a shame he left after only a few issues. Dear god, I don't know how Marvel allowed McGregor to get away with what he was doing on that book. There was a scene where Cage found a junkie who had ODed dead on the sidewalk. It was like reading a Nelson Algren novel. So dark and gritty, and all about poverty and race. It's a truly forgotten masterpiece, although I may be over-exaggerating a bit since his run was only about five issues before he abruptly left.

dogpoet    487

McGregor couldn't keep up the sheer volume of purple overwriting he needed to Killraven properly if he was doing other projects as well, apparently. He had to stop doing Hero For Hire when he realised it was one or the other and he couldn't do the same level of verbosity on both at once.

:tongue:

Christian    781

Don't forget how much sheer verbosity per prose page McGregor was pondering to put out upon the Black Panther book as well.

dogpoet    487

Very true. I was forgetting that one. Obviously he could manage a two way split, but three a month was beyond even McGregor's powers of verbal overkill.

:wink2:

Anyone else take advantage of that $.99 Marvel trade paperback sale on Comixology last week?  I grabbed quite a few, some classic stuff I haven't read in ages:

Tomb of Dracula: The Complete Sereis vol. 1
Werewolf by Night: The Complete Series vol. 1
Excalibur Epic Collection vol. 2: Cross Time-Caper
Infernal Man-Thing
New Mutants by Zeb Wells Ultimate Collection
Vision: The Complete Series
Thor: Ragnaroks
Daredevil Epic Collection: Hearts of Darkness
Man-Thing by R.L. Stine

I've been reading through that Stine Man-Thing series, though, and it's appallingly bad.  I'll have to re-read that Gerber Man-Thing collection immediately after to wash the Stine series out of my brain.

Christian    781

Yeah, I would have told you to skip the Stine Man Thing book, but everything else you bought is good (well, I don't really remember the Wells' New Mutants series, to be honest).

Oh, Thor: Ragnaroks is the Oeming book, not from the Roy Thomas run. Oeming's Thor still felt epic to me at the time it was being released, and his Beta Ray Bill minis I remember really liking. So, I'd say that was worth a look too.

I thought Stine's Man Thing had a lot of promise after the first issue. It seemed like Stine was channeling Gerber for that first issue, but my god, did that book get horrible immediately after that first issue. I thought that Stine's captioning was a joke in the first issue, but he kept it up throughout the entire series, and it read like a prose novelist who has zero understanding of how to write for comics deciding to describe in exact detail everything you can see in the artist's panel. Plus, it's not as Stine's prose is captivating either, it's just annoying.

Infernal Man Thing was a real gem though.

1 hour ago, Christian said:

Yeah, I would have told you to skip the Stine Man Thing book, but everything else you bought is good (well, I don't really remember the Wells' New Mutants series, to be honest).

Oh, Thor: Ragnaroks is the Oeming book, not from the Roy Thomas run. Oeming's Thor still felt epic to me at the time it was being released, and his Beta Ray Bill minis I remember really liking. So, I'd say that was worth a look too.

I thought Stine's Man Thing had a lot of promise after the first issue. It seemed like Stine was channeling Gerber for that first issue, but my god, did that book get horrible immediately after that first issue. I thought that Stine's captioning was a joke in the first issue, but he kept it up throughout the entire series, and it read like a prose novelist who has zero understanding of how to write for comics deciding to describe in exact detail everything you can see in the artist's panel. Plus, it's not as Stine's prose is captivating either, it's just annoying.

Infernal Man Thing was a real gem though.

I've read everything BUT the Zeb Wells New Mutants and most of the Thor: Ragnarok collection.  I really loved Oeming's "Disassembled" arc back in the day, but didn't read the follow up Blood Oath or Beta Ray Bill minis, so looking forward to delving into those!

And yeah, you've hit the problems with Stine's Man-Thing exactly.  The captions and thought-bubbles were a distraction, that I just started to skip over in the later issues.  It read like Stine was trying like hell to write like Steve Gerber, complete with the issues running into one another with little resolutions, but it failed on just about every level.

Christian    781

That was easy to foresee. Marvel has announced the return of the Fantastic Four in August.

Dan Slott will be the writer. Hopefully, not as a reward for his never-ending run on Amazing Spider Man, which did nothing but hurt that character.

Rather, maybe Slott will take some of the wackiness, crazy ideas, and heartwarming writing of his run on Silver Surfer and bring it to the FF.

I guess Marvel Two in One will be getting canceled now.

dogpoet    487

I thought Slott had been announced on Iron Man?

Christian    781

He's going to write both books, in a magical feat never before attempted. I believe this leaves Chip Zdarsky out in the cold, however. I don't think he'll be writing anything at Marvel, if Marvel cancels Marvel Two in One (and I cannot see them keeping that book going now).

dogpoet    487

Have they told him that Spiderman appears in neither book?

dogpoet    487

And there was me thinking I was joking about the Spiderman thing...

Christian    781

You haven't read Walt Simonson's run on FF yet? If not, you really should. It's a lot of fun, and gets in to some Morrison-level inventiveness as it progresses (much better than the yawn-inducing actual Morrison FF mini). One of the rare FF runs which are truly worthy of a team of "Imaginauts".

JohnMcMahon    587

I'm six or seven into Priest's Black Panther run and really enjoying it, the teenage would-be-wives probably wouldn't fly these days though!

Christian    781

The Thanos Annual was an awesome read. I saw that Kieron Gillen was returning to Marvel to write a story in it, and that Al Ewing was going to be writing a story too. Gillen and Ewing's stories ended up being two of the weaker stories in the issue, and that's not because they were disappointing either. This was a very high-quality comic book.

The Gillen story takes a look at how a nihilist sees the importance of art.

The Ewing story was a commentary on organized religion and morality.

Some of the stories were just hilarious. The second story was one of the best Thanos stories to ever be conceived. Thanos chooses some random guy on Earth and decides to fuck up his life every year on his birthday. Just at random. Every year, for 45 years. Finally, the guy says that he's finally figured out why Thanos is fucking with him. He says it's an experiment to see how far he can push a human being before that person will take their own life, and now that he's 45 years old, and Thanos has completely ruined his life, Thanos wants to know why this inconsequential little individual has refused to give in to the despair, and then Thanos will be content to leave him alone. Nah, that's not why Thanos is fucking with him, is it? Read this story! It had me laughing, at just how dark and twisted was this story.

The Ryan North story was quite strong also. Thanos helps a little old lady across the street. Why is he being so kind?

There's also a short preview for the up-coming Cosmic Ghost Rider series written by Donny Cates.

Cates' story ended up being the worst one, due to it being a story that we've seen plenty of times before with Thanos.

I had the opposite opinion of the Thanos Annual, I found it to be a colossal waste of time and money.  I liked the last story, with Frazer Irving on art, but the rest were inconsequential filler at best and horribly annoying at worst.  I adored Cates' Thanos arc and am eagerly awaiting Cosmic Ghost Rider, but this one was one I wish I had skipped completely.

Christian    781

This year, Marvel publishes Death of the Inhumans (also by Cates), due to the opprobrium received for Marvel's "artistic" foray known as The Death of X. The Inhumans will be punished for failing to replace the mighty mutants. Now that Disney owns all of the capital, the Inhumans are no longer necessary. It is the time that the Inhumans receive the execution they so richly deserve for letting down Marvel Comics, as a lesson to all those other characters.

dogpoet    487

Does that mean they'll bump off all of the not-really-proper-inhumans-but-sorta-kinda-vaguely-inhumanish sorts they have avoiding terrigan mists all over the place at the moment as well?

Christian    781

I can only hope. Well, not Ms. Marvel, but the rest of them. All those new characters they randomly introduced in Inhumanity, and who are just plain boring, and hurt the Inhumans concept.

They need to kill off most of the non-Royal Family Inhumans, and get back to the idea of a hidden race separate from mankind, trying to avoid human civilization.

I haven't been able to stand the Inhumans characters since they made such a massive change. They took away everything that made Kirby's version interesting (well, minus the whole slave race aspect, I'm fine with them doing away with that part).

dogpoet    487

To be honest, I've not read any of the new Ms Marvel comics, so I didn't know she was part of that nonsense.

Have any of the newer lot from the moon in that McKeever series been seen since the new approach started?

Just read the final issue of Kelly Thompson and Pere Perez's Rogue & Gambit mini-series, and I highly recommend picking it up when it's released as a trade.  The whole mini-series was fantastic from start to finish; those two have always been my favorite of the X-Men, and this story is one of the best that's featured them and probably one of the best X-Men stories in a long, long time.  

Christian    781

Dog-No. Marvel seems to have wanted to expunge that series from Marvel U continuity, for whatever reason. Perhaps because it was well-written, instead of a bunch of annoying new characters shoved out there without much characterization, with Marvel expecting people to care about them.

dogpoet    487

Depressing, but not surprising.

Is anything from any of the Marvel Knights series still continuity apart from The Punisher now being a first gulf war veteran rather than a Vietnam veteran?