Christian

Marvel's One World Order

Christian    781

I'm sure Bendis' run on Daredevil is still canon.

I'm not really sure what else may or may not be, as Marvel has been really lax with continuity since Alonso took power and started relaunching titles every six months. Even reading most Marvel books for most of those years, I'm not totally sure what all is still considered canon. Secret Wars changed some continuity, but Marvel never totally made it clear exactly what Secret Wars revised. It was basically whatever the writers wanted to do with a character, it seemed.

Christian    781

Avengers #1 by Jason Aaron-That felt suitably epic for an Avengers story. It had a return to classic Avengers period feel to the book. It's a better attempt at the Avengers than I've seen since the Hickman days on the title. Aaron brings a sense of fun with his writing to the Avengers, which is something I've missed seeing in Avengers books, where you get the feeling that the iconic trinity are friends and not just random superheroes doing a job.

Also, moving to a core roster of Avengers who have a reason for being on a team of the "world's great superheroes", rather than every damn character being shoehorned in to the Avengers, so there's no room for quiet moments and tight camaraderie, is nice. Hickman's iteration worked because the "end of everything" was upon the Marvel Multiverse.

I'll keep reading this book.

Although, the idea of Tony Stark and Steve Rogers having any sort of relationship has been terribly strained by events like Civil War and Secret Empire. I like the idea of a clean slate to move away from those types of horrible ideas and the "tarnished heroes, not really superheroes" characterization that Marvel has been so fond of with their old characters. It's time to just move on and try to forget the mischaracterization and look back to beloved comics.

The one drawback is, didn't we just see a story where the Celestials were all killed in the events leading up to Secret Wars? Celestials being killed off doesn't seem like such a big deal when it seems to happen quite often now.

Also, I wish that there was a more interesting version of Ghost Rider out there now. Maybe I'm just not familiar with this character, and Aaron will get some good usage out of him. Yet, I'd rather see Blaze or Ketch as Ghost Rider in the Avengers. That's a small complaint though.

I highly enjoyed Avengers # 1, I think Aaron's "getting the band back together" motif is played out nicely, if a bit on-the-nose in the bar scene.  I actively like all of the characters he's bringing into the team, with the exception of Captain Marvel I suppose.  Here's hoping he can eliminate some of the stigma surrounding Carol after all the shit stories she's had in the last few years.  The character I'm most excited about is, of course, Ghost Rider, and I happen to really like Robbie Reyes.  He's no Blaze or Ketch, but I think maybe Aaron said all he had to say about those two in his Ghost Rider run years ago.  His take on Robbie seems to fall in line with what Felipe Smith was doing, but skewing him more toward the traditional Ghost Rider status quo, which I appreciate. 

And yeah, the Celestials were all killed off by Archangel's children back in Remender's Uncanny Avengers run.  I think Aaron even halfway nods his head toward that, when he has Thor wishing he had his ax, which of course is the weapon that was used to kill the Celestials in Remender's story.  I blame it on Secret Wars resetting everything.

Christian    781

I agree that Carol Danvers is another Marvel character who has been ruined in recent years, but if Aaron treats her simply as a cosmic character who can get the Avengers involved in space-set stories, then I have no problem with her being used properly in this book. She's a heavy-hitter character, and works with a mostly all-star team, like Aaron seems interested in putting together.

If Tony Stark and Steve Rogers can be fixed, after they were even more horribly damaged than Captain Marvel, then I'm sure that Aaron can fix Carol.

dogpoet    487

Just gone through a big collection of Ross and Kruegar's Earth X.

Rather a fun read, which is surprising as huge chunks of it seem to have folded into the mainstream Marvel U since, generally to less readable effect. It's pretty funny to see that all of this "Inhumans are way more awesome than crappy mutants, so there!" stuff started off in a futuristic dystopia story, and was treated as a bad thing until Marvel failed to get the film rights to the X Men back from Sony and spent the next decade throwing a tantrum over that...