Christian

Marvel's One World Order

Christian    734

Sell-out!

He was in the military during WWII, he should have those already. Damn VA scandal.

That's the real story FOX should be covering. "Obama almost let Captain America die!".

• Upvote 2

Christian    734

Extraordinary X-Men #1 (by Jeff Lemire)-Oh wow, the X-Men are so depressing now. Thanks to the Terrigen mists, mutants are being sterilized. As they say in the book, "The mutants that exist now are all that the world will ever see." The slow death of the X-franchise and replacement of it with Inhumans, unless there's a better movie deal made. Who ever expected to see this day? This is only a few years after the events of House of M and "No More Mutants", then the birth of Hope, and suddenly, mutants could reproduce again. Now, here we are again with mutants being an endangered species again. Mutants are more hated now than ever before! This should be a yearly quote from the X-Men books, I hear it so much. This is thanks to "what Cyclops did". What did he do, you may ask? No idea, because Bendis failed to show anything happening in Uncanny X-Men #600, so the book is picking up on some big event that never happened. Meanwhile, Cyclops is still dead from Secret Wars. If you want to read a really depressing comic book that's a shell of its former self, pick up X-Men. Marvel needs to do a mercy killing, but the franchise still is worth a little bit, so Marvel isn't getting rid of X-Men immediately. They want to make the fans stop caring, with a long death.

Oh, and there's a pointless ret-conning of Colossus' origin. I always liked that Colossus' parents just accepted him, because his power made life easier on the farm. No one ostracized Colossus for being a mutant. So, they've got to change that now, and say that Colossus' father abused him for being a mutant. Can't let any mutant have a happy childhood!

Hercules #1 (by Dan Abnett)-This was pretty good. It's fun and a little bit sad at the same time. Hercules is going to stop the ancient threats to humanity that everyone else has forgotten about. Gilgamesh lives on Hercules' couch now, in a state of depression, because the world doesn't need their type of heroes anymore, the world has science heroes now. Hercules is also strongly hinted as being bisexual, due to his cultural origins, after all. Yeah, I think this book is worth checking out again.

Lou K    1,054

X Men always seems to be recycling the same stories and ideas.

I think Marvel is trying to kill the book so as to dampen the movie franchise.

dogpoet    442

Most likely, yep.

Are there any other filmed Marvels where you can't buy an action figure that looks like whoever they cast as Genericman?

Christian    734

Fantastic Four also fell by the wayside due to the movie franchise stuff. X-Men is worth more than FF though, so Marvel is killing it off, rather than just getting rid of it. There's no more Fantastic Four comic book. Reed and Sue are expected to die at the end of Secret Wars (if that's ever published!), Thing is now a member of the Guardians, and Human Torch is featured in the Inhumans comic.

dogpoet    442

They're not wiping the slate to doi a reboot when the new film comes out then? This one is Fox rather than Disney?

Christian    734

Ut-oh! I sense Secret Wars II on the horizon, in order to reboot the entire Marvel Universe to pave the way for a new Fantastic Four launch!

The ending of the last Fantastic Four series was open-ended, there was no hint that it was the end of the comic book forever. I expected there would be a relaunch after Secret Wars, but it looks like the big changes in the characters' status quo will take place in Secret Wars.

Dr. Doom is still around in the "All New, All Different Marvel". Reed and Sue are not.

Well, Ultimate Reed Richards has shown up, but he's a villain, and not related to Earth-616 Reed Richards anymore, at all. He's part Celestial now or something, not sure exactly.

Looking on Wikipedia, the newest FF film was released by FOX. I think it was more based on the Ultimate Fantastic Four comic too (even though that's been canceled for years now, and won't be coming back). It says there is a sequel planned, but that won't be until 2017. And, the film had poor performance at the box office, so FOX might not even bother with the sequel.

dogpoet    442

Which

Looking on Wikipedia, the newest FF film was released by FOX. I think it was more based on the Ultimate Fantastic Four comic too (even though that's been canceled for years now, and won't be coming back). It says there is a sequel planned, but that won't be until 2017. And, the film had poor performance at the box office, so FOX might not even bother with the sequel.

Which is probably what Marvel are hoping for at this point.

Christian    734

All New, All Different Avengers #1-Remember when the Avengers died fighting Onslaught and were really in another dimension? They triumphantly returned to the Marvel Universe as part of "Heroes Return", with a new Avengers #1? The first new #1 for the Avengers since the initial comic in 1963. Well, this sort of feels like that, without any of the charm or excitement! That's a shame, because Waid could do as well bringing the Avengers back as Busiek did in the late-1990s, but this is a different Marvel Universe. One where most of the books read the same, as well-written, but without any real sense of identity. The book really is not interesting. I also love how Tony Stark says that there is currently no official Avengers team, and must make excuses for why the 16 other comics on the stands under the title "Avengers" don't count as an official Avengers team. Well, why is Marvel calling all these books Avengers then?

It's a shame that the Waid who was writing Daredevil isn't being allowed to write this book.

Final word: Yawn.

Ultimates #1-This is actually quite good. Don't let the title fool you, this isn't Marvel attempting to revamp the Ultimate Universe again. Marvel is just reusing the name. They're really the Ultimate Avengers (no, not the Ultimate Universe version, again). They're the heroes who handle the ultimate threats to reality. Really, Marvel just wants to keep a trademark, not that the Ultimate Universe is gone. The team is led by the Black Panther. My one nitpick with the book is that Al Ewing writes a pretty unlikeable Black Panther. Why must the Black Panther be an unlikeable character at Marvel now? He never was before.

This is really just Al Ewing's chance to get cosmic and use wild concepts. I've been a fan of Ewing's work at comics since he came to American comics, and this is the one Marvel book he's currently writing that lives us to the high stands I've set for Ewing. New Avengers does not read like a book that Ewing would write. Contest of Champions seems to be something Marvel is publishing to push a video game line, or something. Ultimates is Ewing writing a comic book series I want to read.

This one goes on my "good" list.

Lou K    1,054

Anybody grab Lemire's Hawkeye? I loved the Fraction run but really trying to keep my pull list thin.

Christian    734

Not most of it, no, Jason. It's nearly impossible to come across 2000 AD over here. We got all the classic stuff from the 1980s with the Quality Comics reprints, but they stopped publishing in the 1990s. Even the Trades are from a British publisher, so I'd have to pay international shipping charges to get a copy.

Lou-Yeah. This is volumn 2 that is starting this week. There was a volumn 1, which I think only lasted for five issues because of Secret Wars. I really enjoyed the first Lemire series, probably even more than Fraction's actually. But, I don't think most people would feel that way. I don't think I loved Fraction's Hawkeye as much as most. I liked it, but didn't love it. Lemire's first series has flashbacks to Hawkeye's childhood, with his brother, when they run away from their abusive father and join a carnival. It looks like this series is going to feature scenes from Hawkeye's future, after Lady Hawkeye has taken over as a superhero while Clint is mostly retired. For the present day plot, you need to have to read voumn 1 before picking up volumn 2 issue #1 though. Maybe it's something you could get as a Trade.

Lou K    1,054

I'll have to look into that. Yeah, I do seem to recall he already launched Hawkeye so when I saw a new #1 I was like WTF

Christian    734

Yeah. Squirrel Girl's new #1 issue had the blurb, "Only Our Second #1 Issue This Year, So Far!" on the cover. It was funny and so apt.

Hawkeye, Howard the Duck, and Squirrel Girl all only had like five issues in their new series, and each got relaunched randomly for Secret Wars.

JasonT    438
Not most of it, no, Jason. It's nearly impossible to come across 2000 AD over here. We got all the classic stuff from the 1980s with the Quality Comics reprints, but they stopped publishing in the 1990s. Even the Trades are from a British publisher, so I'd have to pay international shipping charges to get a copy.

Or check your PMs. :smile:

EDIT: Perhaps you'd be kind enough to clear out your PM inbox so I could f*cking send you a f*cking message. No pressure.

Edited by JasonT

Christian    734

Captain America #3-"Tonight on FOX News, the new Captain America comic book (did I mention that Captain America is now a negro?) paints a clear and disturbing picture that the enemy is within and needs to be fought by Captain America, and that 'enemy' has a face and name, and that name is conservatives! It's true. First, it was people opposed to illegal immigration, now it's mad scientists involved with illegal bio-genetic engineering on humans beings! This is obvious code for Republicans! That's right, Captain America (who is a negro now, did I mention that?) is subliminally telling everyone to hunt down and kill Republicans! Look at the page, folks. It's right there! Captain America (the negro) is turned in to a werewolf. A werewolf, people! All the signs are there. It's an attack on conservative Christian values, without a doubt!".

Spencer includes a funny joke, mocking the FOX crowd's over-reaction to the Sons of the Serpent story in this very issue, as well. I'm sure it's much funnier than my own attempt, even.

Christian    734

So, guess what? Star Lord gets a total reboot! The only character in the entire Marvel line who gets to start from scratch is a minor character who was best known for being in the Guardians of the Galaxy. They're basing his new origin story on the Guardians movie....which is only about three years old now.

I can see the Marvel editorial think tank now, "So, what will be the big results of Secret Wars? We don't want to shake things up too much." "How about....we end the Ultimate Universe, which no one cares about anyway in 2015, and reboot Star Lord?" "Wait....That's it?" "The Starbucks and donuts are here!" "Sounds like a great plan. Meeting over. Good job everyone."

I also picked up Vision #1, because I read good reviews of it. Yeah, the hype is true. This is going to be one of those too good for Marvel books that ends up flying under the radar and gets canned too soon. The author really seems to be going somewhat in the direction of "What If Philip K. Dick wrote a Vision comic book?". The Vision doesn't want to be seen as just a robot anymore, he wants a family. So, he's built himself a wife and two children, and he moved to the suburbs and bought a house and has a job with the government. He sends his kids to public school. There's a brief superhero action scene involving the Grim Reaper, from Avengers rogues gallery, but it's done in a most absurdist manner, and ends with an unexpected twist. It's not a superhero book. It's funny at times, it's witty, it's somewhat moving. I'm surprised how much I enjoyed this book. It's written by Tom King, who I'm not familiar.

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    442

I can't see why Starlord even needs rebooting given that they've spent the best part of a decade ignoring his origin story and forgetting that he was originally written as a total shit rather than a space going stand in for Rick Jones anyway.