Christian

Marvel's One World Order

I suppose Marvel wants to keep pushing their cross-media synergy, where more and more stuff matches up with the movies because I suppose they think this will make their comics more appealing to the movie audience even though I doubt that the movies attract that many new readers.

These days you wake up and it turns out everybody that marvel has the movie rights to was really an inhuman instead of a mutant the whole time, or wow, here's an upcoming Spider-Man comic set in high school right about the same time Marvel has planned a new reboot of Spider-Man for the movies set in high school...

Christian    734

Weirdworld #1-This is still good, even without Aaron writing it. The new author is picking up where Aaron left off with the mini-series. It has the same artist (whose art I really enjoy) also, so that helps keep the consistency. The plot is about a 20-year old woman who is involved in a plane crash, and then finds herself waking up in Weirdworld. If you enjoyed the mini-series that much, I'd recommend a return visit. You might also feel that four issues was just about good for the plot, and there's no reason to keep reading. I don't feel this book is a "must buy", but it is a pleasurable, fun read set in an oft-kilter fantasy world.

Let me also mention that Squirrel Girl is still a great read from Marvel! A lot of people are probably passing on this book due to it being about someone called "Squirrel Girl", and the art is sub-par. Trust me though, you're missing a hilarious comic book. One of Marvel's best. I get the idea that this book encapsulates exactly what DC wishes it could accomplish with its recent reboot, but has failed to produce any new books of consistent quality. Give it one issue if you're skeptical, and see if you don't fall in love. It's right up there with the new Howard the Duck as a truly fun comic book series, although Squirrel Girl is actually more clever. Right now, the book is in the middle of a longer story-arc though, about Squirrel Girl spontaneously time traveling to the 1960s, and Squirrel Girl's best friend needing to recruit Dr. Doom to help rescue her. Only this is a time traveling Dr. Doom.

Oh yeah, James Robinson's Squadron Supreme debuted this week as well. I almost forgot about it, which shows how special is this book. There's a hugely surprising moment at the beginning of the book, involving a major character's death. There's no way this big an event can stand, especially happening so randomly in this issue, without any prelude. Unless FOX owns the right to that character or something, then Marvel might just want to be rid of him.

Anyway, otherwise, this book is not a fun comic book. It's not a bad read, but I'm not all that interested. The hints are that the Squadron Supreme are probably going to move in the direction of taking over this Earth (ala Gruenwald's series). Each member is a survivor of an alternate Earth which was destroyed by Secret Wars, and now the characters will do whatever it takes to make sure their adopted homeworld won't meet such a fate.

I might check out the second issue, but this issue didn't do much for me. It seems to be almost an anachronism, with it's ultra-serious treatment of the superhero genre, and the mixing of real world with the fantasy realm of superhero books. It seems that's a trend that most superhero books have decided to move away from now, much for the better of the genre in my opinion. There's only so many "THIS is what would happen if superheroes were REAL!" stories that the genre can stand. There was a need for more fun and difference again, which I'd say has very much happened now.

Christian    734

Vision #3-This book just got really weird and really creepy. This is one messed up book, and I am loving it. I'd say this is the one Marvel title everyone on this site should be reading. I did miss the dichotomy of this robot family trying to live a normal life for the current issue, and hope that King doesn't forget that important element of the book, for the sake of telling ever stranger ideas, but this issue was impressive.

Ultimates is another Marvel book I'm really enjoying. On the other hand, it is dismaying that Secret Wars seems to have accomplished absolutely nothing in the Marvel Universe. We've been dealing with the "time is broken" story since the original "Age of Ultron", when Hickman was first starting on Avengers. It was supposed to be a big aspect of why "Time Runs Out" for the Marvel Universe, back at the beginning of Secret Wars. I thought all of that was meant to be resolved now by the events of Secret Wars. Now, we see that "time is still broken". Sigh. At least it gives Ewing an excuse to tell a story filled with crazy ideas.

Christian    734

Another Marvel books I've been enjoying is Scarlet Witch, written by James Robinson, of which issue #2 was released this week. This is another book that is doing John Constantine better than DC, I must say. Another thing I liked about the series is that Scarlet Witch was portrayed by the artist as more plump than the typical superhero female, looking more like a natural female. It's about time that Marvel decided to portray one of their female characters looking more like a typical woman. Although, the second issue had different artwork, which is the beautiful art of Marco Rudy so I won't complain, which drew her looking like her old look.

The series is about Scarlet Witch's history with witchcraft, not a superhero title. Weird supernatural events are occurring in the world, and there's something wrong with the state of magic in the Marvel Universe. Scarlet Witch is investigating events. In this second issue, she meets Hekate, who has been given a very Neil Gaimanesque make-over, and discovers that a Minotaur has been killing innocents on the island of Crete.

Christian    734

Silver Surfer is back, and it's just as fun and imaginative as ever. Exact same creative team. How Slott can hold on to this book, and make it a must-read title month-to-month, while at the same time ruining Spider Man and refusing to leave, is just one of the great mysteries of the cosmos.

OK, one quibble. Marvel really needs a quota on giving hints that it's the "end of the world". Secret Wars just done ending everything, and it amounted to shite. Marvel needs to learn from the "boy who cried wolf".

I do hope that the book doesn't stay on Earth, as this books need a much wider scope. So far, it has managed to remain mind-expanding even while contained.

Anyway, issue #1 is the type of stories that I love reading in comics from the '60s and '70s. These wild cosmic concepts that are wrapped up in just one issue, and you know you're getting more if the same the next month.

Christian    734

Power Man and Iron Fist #1-This new series is being written by Dave Walker (who I think posts at this Forum, right?). I'm not a fan of the art, but otherwise, this series looks to be a lot of fun.

Standoff #1-The prelude to Marvel's next big event cross-over. I care nothing for Civil War II, and won't be reading that nonsense. However, this Standoff book is pretty good. It's written by Nick Spencer, and he's a good writer, so he manages to make the book entertaining. It reminded me quite a bit of something Marvel would have published in a two-parter in Avengers back in the 1980s. Nothing wrong with that, at all, in my book. It also has a purposeful feel of a Twilight Zone episode, with "Bixby" even getting a homage in the story, to remind people of the classic "It's a Good Life" episode of TZ. Shades of Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme as well.

There was a surprise ending that I did not see coming.

I'm interesting in the Standoff books, but am not looking forward to how this leads in to Civil War II. Standoff is supposed to be a stand-alone story that just lays the groundwork for Bendis to take over in the Spring.

Dave    265

Power Man and Iron Fist #1-This new series is being written by Dave Walker (who I think posts at this Forum, right?). I'm not a fan of the art, but otherwise, this series looks to be a lot of fun.

:hattip:

Christian    734

Captain America #7-Well, that was a huge waste of money. I get that this is the 75th anniversary issue of the original Captain America, but did they really need to set up an entire issue to remind us of how inconsequential the new Captain America is? Sam Wilson was in about four pages of the issue and added nothing to the story. It was bad enough that the entire story was stuck telling part of a cross-over. It's a shame, and I don't know if Marvel is going to let Spencer tell stories starring the new Captain America anymore, or if Sam Wilson is just going to be the "other Cap" from now on.

This is what I worried about when this series started. It seemed like Sam Wilson was set up to seem like a secondary version of Captain America, filling a role until Steve Rogers would eventually come back.

This series was good for the first six issues, indeed, but I don't see the book lasting if the character really is treated as the Falcon in a different costume.

Bad story-telling.

Christian    734

Black Panther #1-I didn't really understand what was going on in the issue, to be honest. Are we meant to sympathize with Black Panther in this story? If so, is this going to end up being too close to McGregor's "Panther's Rage" story-arc? I would really like to see a progressive and democratic movement challenge a monarchy in one of these Marvel books where a king is the protagonist. Everytime that Black Panther or Namor has been challenged with a revolt, it's always been led by some villain that the story makes clear is planning to create a worse dictatorship than the monarchy. It would be a much more thought-provoking and morally challenging work to see a popular movement rebelling against the monarchy, with the king being a superhero and the protagonist of the title.

Maybe we will see that in this version of Black Panther, but as I said, I didn't totally understand the plot. Everything seemed very vague and ill-defined.

Christian    734

Marvel released a Captain America's 75th Anniversary magazine this week. It was free, and it's a pretty nice magazine for being free.

It has in-depth coverage of some of the greatest runs during Cap's history. Jack Kirby, Mark Gruenwald, Mark Waid, and Ed Brubaker.

Wait! What? The greatest run in Cap's history, by Steven Engelhart, isn't even mentioned? What in the world? I don't even remember Mark Waid having a run on Captain America, yet it got a profile!

Lou K    1,054

You know, I have been so impressed with what Mark Millar has done over at Image that I decided to give Empress a try. Bad move. It is not that it is a bad comic, it's just so vanilla. Seems like a more kid friendly version of one of his Image titles. No thanks.

dogpoet    442

A kid friendly Millar? That sounds, enthralling.

Christian, Waid's run was pretty good, iirc. I think it was interrupted to make way for that heroes Reborn nonsense or some damned thing. Not really in Englehart's league, though...

Also Marvel-ey: I've got hold of a collection of the Palmiotti Daughters of The Dragon miniseries, and I'm reading through that at the moment. Quite a bit better than the deeply ropey Heroes For Hire series it spawned.

Lou K    1,054

A kid friendly Millar? That sounds, enthralling.

It's got some pretend violence. The Emperor says to his soon-to-be-dealt with upstarts that the remains of their colleague lie at their feet yet the floor is white as driven snow. Stuff like that. Millar Lite, as it were.

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    442

Bleah.

(Mind you, I'm not mad keen on full strength Millar, if I'm honest.)

Lou K    1,054

Yeah bleah indeed. You know, I always thought he was a bit over rated myself but as I stated earlier his stuff over at Image and the universe he is creating has been quite enjoyable. Maybe that is just cause I am so put off by the big 2 anymore but it's been good super hero (ish) fare

Christian    734

I thought the best part of that Daughters of the Dragon series was that it got Marvel to release a reprint of the Chris Claremont Daughters of the Dragon stories from the 1970s, which were only published in Marvel's magazines of the time, which most of them tend to be very rare today. So, it was great to be able to read those without having to pay big bucks to order some Marvel Kung-Fu magazines.

Moon Knight #1 (Jeff Lemire)-Marc Spector wakes up in a mental institution, he remembers being Moon Knights, but doesn't remember how he ended up there. Everyone is telling him that he is not Moon Knight. He sees a news report on TV that the Moon Knight does exist, but he's a popular superhero, in the style of Spider Man, not a being with powers granted by an ancient Egyptian deity. Spector sees other patients in the institution who he remembers from his Moon Knight days, like Crawley and Marlene. I really liked this first issue. Is Marc Spector a crazy man? Was he ever really Moon Knight? Is this a plot by an evil Egyptian deity, or is Marc Spector hallucinating? There are shades of One Flew Over the Cuckoo Nest. This seems like a better direction than the last Moon Knight series, to be honest, which seemed to be very light on plot and character. Ellis started out with a few good stories, but it quickly became obvious it was just an outlet for Ellis to annoy everyone with his tics. Lots of pages with no dialogue, ending the story in the middle of a scene (not because he plans to continue the story next issue, but because that's truly the end of his story).

Christian    734

Nighthawk #1-I picked this up on a whim, and it was actually quite good. It's Batman for Left-Wingers. Nighthawk is Marvel's version of Batmàn (I mean that literally, not like DD is sort-of-like Batman), from the Squadron Supreme. This is the MAX version though, who is African-American.

His back-story is that his parents were killed by racists, and his rage fueled him to strive to found a successful corporation, so he could use the profits in order to fund his crime-fighting career.

In this story, Nighthawk is beating the crap out of white supremacists, and trying to use his wealth to help poor African-American people.

However, there's a mass muderer who is targeting those who oppress minorities legally. Like slumlords. Nighthawk can't go after those people, because he's a superhero. So, Nighthawk, as a hero, should be trying to stop this killer, but Nighthawk isn't sure he wants to stop him.

Captain America #1-Holy hell! Spencer went somewhere I never expected with this book. It's probably just going to be revealed as a plan by Steve Rogers, but I'm hoping Marvel and Spencer really did go crazy, and this is the new direction for Steve Rogers. It'd be far more interesting, and besides, it's not as if they ever turned Tony Stark in to a fascist for a while, and then just ignored it after, now is it?

Lou K    1,054

Digging the throw back Thor story of the last two issues. Loved seeing Zarathos riding a bear with a head dress on.

Red    467

Well, in one sentence, Steve Rogers revealed he is a white supremacist.

He also revealed that Hydra has apparently pulled the most convoluted, illogical long con in history, purposefully allowing Cap to beat them over decades, in order for Cap to be accepted as double agent. That's dedication!

Christian    734

Hey, the ret-con involved Hydra being formed during the 1930s, when it was always portrayed as being founded after World War II, by Nazis trying to preserve what was left of the Third Reich. So, that's how convoluted of a con this is, Hydra even hid their true beginnings all this time.

There are hints given that Steve Rogers has only recently come along to their way of thinking though. Not that he's been a supporter of Hydra all along.

He can just explain that he doesn't support Hydra's illegal methods, but that they spoke a lot of truth in their message, and now he's going to steer white Americans in to taking back their country the legal way!

Personally, I think they should keep this! Just downplay the Hydra stuff. Just make him a far Right supporter.

Iron Man can say, "See? I've always had a problem with this guy, and now I know why! I always found it funny how much he had a problem with me because of my stance on free trade, and kept saying I needed to support white American jobs."

Steve Rogers walks in to the room to hushed silence.

"Hey, guys. What's the matter? I'm the same old Steve Rogers. I'm still fighting the good fight. I still believe in democracy, I just don't believe that lesser races should be coming in to our country and polluting our Christian purity and stealing our jobs. Otherwise, nothing's changed. Don't you guys approve of freedom of speech? Because, it's what I've always been fighting for! I just don't want to work with that new Ms. Marvel girl, she's not one of us. Otherwise, I'll work with anyone on the Avengers. Hey, I even had a negro partner for years! It shows what an open-minded guy I am, I just never wanted him leading any teams or anything. They're fine, in their right place, which is beneath an Aryan like me."

Marvel can just say that in America's new cultural climate, with Trump running for president, that in the interests of fairness, with so many Liberal comic books, that they need to appeal to the other side with one of their titles, and there's no better book than one starring the working class, blonde haired, blue eyed man who overcame his rough beginnings to become a superman and fight for the nation!

If the readers have a problem with white supremacist Cap, they can just read the Sam Wilson version.

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    442

Because of course, there's no other blonde, blue eyed ubermensch in any other comics by Marvel, and precious few in any superhero comics by other companies as well.

:tongue: